health battery dropped from 98 to 93% in fews day

fs0ciet1

May 17, 2020
milano
Hi guys, I'm a bit worried because in checking the health of the battery I noticed that it dropped by 5% in a few days... thats crazy because in 1 year have just dropped 2%... and now in fews days... 5%
what do you advise me to do? did any of you happen?

photo_2021-03-14_11-24-28.jpg

photo_2021-03-14_11-24-29.jpg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
These battery health numbers run up and down without explanation in the manual, or in my experience, little correlation to actual battery capacity.

Variations <10% seem to mean nothing in the real world.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
mine had been hovering around 95%, especially in the cold weather.

I recently ran out of battery on a ride, and a full charge after brought it back upto 99%

there is something in the manual about doing a full discharge every 10? or so charges

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
........... whether or not it makes any actual difference or not I'm not sure........... but I have found since taking the battery off my bike and charging, I am back up to 100% from around 94 to 96%, than when charging on the bike ?
Regards, Simon

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
........... whether or not it makes any actual difference or not I'm not sure........... but I have found since taking the battery off my bike and charging, I am back up to 100% from around 94 to 96%, than when charging on the bike ?
Regards, Simon
I thought I found the same thing last year, but after more cycles, and more keeping notes, the correlation disappeared. I really have no idea what the health-o-meter is measuring.

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
........damn, I thought that had sorted it ?
But in all seriousness, I think if you just look after your battery, treat it with respect, keep your contacts clean (I use a good quality switch/electrical cleaner) they are the best quality batteries out there and they will last a long time...........hopefully ?

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
......forgot to add this from the Giant manual.......

"Discharge the EnergyPak completely by riding the
bicycle after 15 normal charges or at least every 3
months totally before charging the EnergyPak again.
This will increase the lifespan of the EnergyPak."

I have also been doing this along with charging off the bike..........perhaps it was the discharging that has brought it back up to 100% and not charging off the bike ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
......forgot to add this from the Giant manual.......

"Discharge the EnergyPak completely by riding the
bicycle after 15 normal charges or at least every 3
months totally before charging the EnergyPak again.
This will increase the lifespan of the EnergyPak."

I have also been doing this along with charging off the bike..........perhaps it was the discharging that has brought it back up to 100% and not charging off the bike ?
I would say this theory agrees more with my findings, than the charge ON or charge OFF the bike.

In the beginning, I never charged past 60% or 70% (dont need to for my daily ride) and seldom discharged below 20%. This yielded the worst battery health, but my gut tells me it's better over the long haul for the battery.

Now I occasionally do both a full balance charge, and a full discharge, and pretty much ignore the health-o-meter.

All is well. If my battery continues along it's current trajectory, it will long outlast the bike.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I would say this theory agrees more with my findings, than the charge ON or charge OFF the bike.

In the beginning, I never charged past 60% or 70% (dont need to for my daily ride) and seldom discharged below 20%. This yielded the worst battery health, but my gut tells me it's better over the long haul for the battery.

Now I occasionally do both a full balance charge, and a full discharge, and pretty much ignore the health-o-meter.

All is well. If my battery continues along it's current trajectory, it will long outlast the bike.

Following the advice on this forum, and the provision of a 60% setting on the Giant charger I have been keeping my battery at the recommended 60% if I am not riding for more than a couple of days.
I have been worried about my battery dropping to 93% after 8 full cycles despite keeping it at recommended level.
My LBS talked to Giant about it and they said that it should always be charged to 100% after a ride unless it was being kept unused for more than 3 months.
They said that I should ride it to flat then charge it to 100% 3 or 4 times and the health % should recover.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Following the advice on this forum, and the provision of a 60% setting on the Giant charger I have been keeping my battery at the recommended 60% if I am not riding for more than a couple of days.
I have been worried about my battery dropping to 93% after 8 full cycles despite keeping it at recommended level.
My LBS talked to Giant about it and they said that it should always be charged to 100% after a ride unless it was being kept unused for more than 3 months.
They said that I should ride it to flat then charge it to 100% 3 or 4 times and the health % should recover.
Do you have 8 cycles total on the battery?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
for my personal experience is better make a full charge everytime after a ride ( routine use)
You're obviously applying some of your farm fertiliser to the battery ! Do you think with some more nurturing, sun and a bit of poo, you could get it upto 108% ?
What I'm actually applying is cheap testing equipment, haphazard methods, and poor recording habits.

I'm sure the magical 4% growth is the fertilizer, but still I am impressed with the battery performance. > 100 cycles with no loss battery capacity detected.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I did another capacity check last night.

Using a cheap watt hour meter, from A mail order place, and starting with a battery at 6% (30wh).

The charger stopped charging, and went green light solid, with the watt hour meter at 470 watt hours.

At 107 charge cycles, the 2019 battery still has 100% of OEM capacity.

And I discovered why my previous check showed 104%. Parasitic losses in either the watt meter or the charger add up over time and are logged. Every hour the system stayed plugged in, even though done charging, the wh meter logged 3.3 watt hours. The last time I checked the capacity, the system was plugged in a few extra hours, and therefore logged the parasitic losses.

All in all. The battery is impressive.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My 2020 500wh battery has had 39 cycles, over 2300km and was 99% health yesterday. It’s been down to 96%. I charge after every ride where the battery has between 45-25% left. I cycle the battery every three months(ish) as per the manual. Been getting 40km out of a charge during winter...using more assistance than spring/summer.

The 2021 X should be arriving soon so will be interesting to see how that compares with 625wh.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
thanks for this guys, my 2019 battery is down to 91% on the last few rides. I tend to do a lot of short rides and then recharge straight after, so its only run down to 5% a couple of times, and its never run down to zero. I'll try to run it down to zero (hopefully when I'm on the downhill section) and see what it looks like after I recharge it.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
According to EMBN, doing deep discharges will end up giving you the least cycles of your battery. Leaving a battery on the charger after its charged is also not good for it. I was also wondering about how long a charger is going to last given all the heat that it is giving off. I am not an electrical engineer but I put on some heat sinks to try to let the charger run a little cooler.

Charger.jpg

Mattnzl

Aug 5, 2020
NZ
"Leaving a battery on the charger after its charged is also not good for it. "
I call BS on that - modern smart chargers (of which our Giant definitely is - look at the freeking size of it! ;-) ) don't do a "trickle charge" once the battery is full.

I used to worry about wearing out the battery on my 2019 Trance - after 2.5 years I now know the battery is going to outlast the bloody bike haha!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
"Leaving a battery on the charger after its charged is also not good for it. "
I call BS on that - modern smart chargers (of which our Giant definitely is - look at the freeking size of it! ;-) ) don't do a "trickle charge" once the battery is full.

I used to worry about wearing out the battery on my 2019 Trance - after 2.5 years I now know the battery is going to outlast the bloody bike haha!
Me too.
BMS plus a "smart charger"?
Not very smart if it can't figure that out.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Whenever I return from a ride, I take my battery up to our apartment and stick it on charge. I just leave it there until I go for my next ride, which might be weeks sometimes.

my battery is about 2 years old, it seems to be built like a tank, and it just keeps going.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My 2020 500wh battery has had 39 cycles, over 2300km and was 99% health yesterday. It’s been down to 96%. I charge after every ride where the battery has between 45-25% left. I cycle the battery every three months(ish) as per the manual. Been getting 40km out of a charge during winter...using more assistance than spring/summer.

The 2021 X should be arriving soon so will be interesting to see how that compares with 625wh.

Oh boy! Your gonna love the X.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles