Has your EMTB made you fitter, or kept you as fit, as your regular MTB?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Hmmm. I've had a dedicated e-bike for 2 months. Some sporadic use before that.
It's too early for me to tell re aerobic fitness. One thing is certain. DH fitness and speed has increased.

I'll say after a couple of weeks of e only the meat bike feels so boring and slow uphill.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
About 1 year in for me and 70% turbo usage. 1000% I’m fitter than I would be otherwise. I get out more and enjoy my rides more which makes me want to get out more. Absolutely smashed at the end of every ride which is always 30km + of pure grade 5 fun

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Been thinking these days, 5 years after gatting my first ebike, that my fitness is more or less the same. But the time spent on the saddle has definetly decreased, I used to feel comfortable even on 6 hours + rides, but now three hours has been the most time I spend on a ride, taking two batteries, and feel uncomfortable after two hours.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Been thinking these days, 5 years after gatting my first ebike, that my fitness is more or less the same. But the time spent on the saddle has definetly decreased, I used to feel comfortable even on 6 hours + rides, but now three hours has been the most time I spend on a ride, taking two batteries, and feel uncomfortable after two hours.

I'm always amazed at how so many can ride a bike for hours on end. My back start to act up in 30 min. I've never been an endurance rider or runner. Always have preferred higher intensity, for shorter durations but admire guys like you that can chug away for hours. (y)

JWDubois

Aug 5, 2023
US
I just got my first eMTB a couple of weeks ago, and it's rained every day since, so it's too soon to tell. But I'd pretty much quit riding over the last three years because after forty years the hills around here were just hurting too much. I could still do them, but riding just got to be too much of a chore to keep up. I admit I've let my fitness go to hell and gained a lot of weight.

Like a lot of other people, the idea of the ebike for me is that "doing something is better than doing nothing". But unless you have the discipline of a Spartan and stay in eco all the time, there's no way riding an ebike will get you as fit as riding a regular bike. And the whole point of getting the ebike for me was to take the edge off the hills. In one respect it's probably better for me because I'm able to ride aerobically rather than being anaerobic all the time.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It’s been a long time since I initially answered this question, and my initial answer was based on using a full fat emtb.

I have since been riding a lightweight emtb, and now regularly use a leg powered MTB too

The lightweight eMTB definitely helped to improve my fitness as I’ve had to work that little harder, and now use eco mode as my default, trail mode when I’m knackered or the gradient is a bit too much

I’m definitely not Speedy Gonzales climbing those hills on the leg powered MTB, but I get up there eventually. The regular MTB is far harder and my legs burn for hours after a good ride, but the regular MTB is improving my fitness far more than the lightweight emtb

On the rare occasions I use the full fat emtb I now find it too easy, almost comical

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
This is an interesting thread.

I don’t use EMTB to get fit. It’s there to have the thrill of sessioning downhill sections. So kind of a hobby.

I have a home gym to keep fit.

However I am sure it has leaned me out a little. Remember EMTB adds on watts to your leg power. So if you are putting in 300w and the motor is adding 500w then you are putting out 800w which means you move faster than just putting 300w on a MTB with same input.

I suppose if you are disciplined you could have similar workouts (just go faster) or put it in a lower assist setting.

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
This is my VO2 level during the last ½ year, when I went for EMTB for the first time. I've ridden > 2.000 km since, as opposed to ~500 km for a whole year in pre-ebike times. My conclusion: the ebike can improve the average hobbyist's fitness level, simply because it's so much fun to ride and people get into the saddle more often.

View attachment 82547
I can give an update to my original post another 1 ½ yrs later: the initial trend was not just a hype. I sit on my bike almost 10 times more since I've had my ebike, amounting to 4.000 km/year. Whenever possible I use it for commuting (which I wouldn't have done before because my office is on top of a hill), but also for quick after work tours. This alone results in a better overall cardio fitness for me.
Attached to my new love for emtb came my discovery of bike parks and downhill lines. Mastering those has its own set of benefits (adding kind of a "bodybuilding" asset to the mix).
So my thesis remains: ebikes are fun and move more people from the driver's seat to the saddle. 🚵‍♀️

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Probably less actual 'bike fit' than if I was riding my HT - and it tells when I do go out on the HT, which I try and do every couple of weeks or so.

BUT - general health must be improved as I'm out way, way more than I would be on the normal bike. That has to have benefits.

I can fortunately regulate my weight with my diet and I go to the gym (weights, not cardio) and am in pretty good fettle for 52

Jul 30, 2022
Scotland
I'm always amazed at how so many can ride a bike for hours on end. My back start to act up in 30 min.

Mine too - but through recent somewhat related physio sessions I've discovered this is muscular and not a problem with the bones. If you're unsure I'd recommend either going to a physio or looking up stretching exercises for where your pain is. My bike being a bit too small probably doesn't help either.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
at 59 the emtb means I ride about twice as much as i would on the acoustic...... Im also def fitter than when i was 3 years however it is a combination of riding the emtb and other lifetsyle changes.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France

I think this is another important point. I used to go out for all day rides every weekend 10 to 5 years ago on my mtb, we would get on the bikes around 10am and finish up around 3-4 in the afternoon after doing 1500-2000m of climbing and descending. Except, it wasn't 5-6 hours of riding at all, we spent so much time recovering, chatting, eating, drinking etc, it was probably closer to 3.5-4.5h of actual riding.

Now due to various life circumstances I'm lucky if I can get a continuous 2-3hrs ride in. But a 3h e-bike ride is 2.55h on the bike, with barely 5 minutes of checking the route, drinking, maybe a battery change. And of course, in terms of the descending I am doing these days it is 1500-2500m in that amount of time, so riding hard downhill for longer with a much heavier bike, so exercise wise the upper body is getting a much more intense workout!

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I'm 1.5 ish years on Ebike. My only ride. Combined with regular walking/ hiking and good diet this bike has helped me physically all over due to the upper body work out as well as aerobic. Also my riding skills are better.

If I had the cash I would consider an analog gravel bike too for some long summer rides........

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I've already lost some bike fitness but I feel better overall not killing my legs and pounding down the carbs. I look better as well.

I still love meat bikes and even have a new frame (Smuggler!) on order, but I want to keep it for the trails that aren't so climbing intensive. I did 15 miles and it was over 100' last weekend on the meat bike and my skills were on point even if my legs had lost the edge.

The e-bike really is just more fun on the hardcore chunk with steep climbs. A lot more fun actually!

Boomstick303

Aug 16, 2023
Colorado
I have not ridden my analog MTB but like 3 times over the last three years. I turn 51 this year, about 60 pounds overweight so I think there is two ways to look at this question. On the question's face, if the majority or your rides are on your EMTB I cannot see how you would be as fit as you would be riding your analog bike all those rides, unless you are incorporating some other additional new training to take the place of riding an analog bike. For some maybe they just ride longer so their fitness is unchanged.

As for someone who hates climbing on MTB and always has, and has put on any amount of weight, to get on a normal bike my body and brain wants nothing to do with that. Now with an EMTB I have no issue getting out on the trails. It made me remember all of the other reasons I love to mountain biking. Being on the trail in solitude when riding alone. The views, the smells, seeing wildlife, the downhills etc. Climbs are easy on the EMTB, I don't have to worry about my heart bursting. I have found my heart rate throughout the ride stays in the low end of zone 2, which I can adjust by riding in a higher or lower level of assist in the EMTB. So for someone who has not ridden in years due to various reasons an EMTB is the best thing that could have happened to me. Even when my legs feel dead I can still get out on the bike because I know the pedal assist is there. My only gripe is where was this when I was younger and still hated the climb. Oh EMTB, where have you been my entire life was my first thought on my very first ride on one.

I can also see a situation, where I can use the EMTB to get into decent riding shape before mixing rides with the analog bike for the rest of the year. At least that is the plan for right now. My current analog bike is on 26" wheels, which I still love for all of the steep switchbacks we have here in Colorado on the front range. With that said that bike is over 10 years old and I have to say the geometry of the new bikes is out of this world. Before I felt like I was riding a horse when on a 29" bike. This Trek Fuel EXe on 29" wheels feels like you are down in the bike not on top of it. CG is amazing, and the bike turns amazing for having a 29" wheel set.

The idea is to still ride the analog bike from time to time, but only time will tell if that becomes reality.

Mario Antony

May 5, 2023
Portugal
Interesting posts and opinions.

I suppose I'm in the group that agrees that emtb can help you get fit, but (BUT), it all comes down to what are you willing to suffer.
From my short experience with Emtbs compared with bikes, ebb can make you lazy, or faster.

Why lazy?
You just let the bike push you uphill... and you just go along with it. It will be faster than any bike, and you'll complete any ride faster than any bike.

Why faster and not lazy?
Yes, I've stated that being lazy on ebb will be faster than most on bikes... but, if you start pushing the pedals on the climbs, reaching the speed limiter, even using Turbo, you will be FITTER than a tradicional bike (from now on, just bikes).

1- you will ride more. More time=more fit
2- you won't arrive from ride feeling dead! You will be ok for next day, and the next, and the next. This is the same as when you are fit and slim (younger??) on a bike! You will want more! (See point 1)
3- it will be FUN to ride. You can pratice DH runs, you can exploit areas that you would probably never do on a bike. This will lead to point 1.
4- you will try to climb stupid steep climbs, that not only will end in enjoyment and fun, but you'll be making series (or sets)... something that any biker hates!
5- since you descend more, your upper core will be more used, you'll feel the need to have more core exercises out of the ebike, and it will be easier to do so, because you'll notice much improvement immediatly (because you descend more on an EEB)
6- since it's fun and can climb fast, you can have a blast in 30/45min, and due to this, you'll make time to ride the emtb whenever possible!

Doing all this, will lead to:
a) lose fat, making you slimer and looking better (I lost 3kg in about 2 weeks)
b) lower your heart rate at rest, and feel much better
Depending on your fitness level:
1) in a couple of weeks if you have some fit
2) in a couple of months if you're not!

Bikes (Normal bikes) can lead to proscrination since it's hard work!
Steep difficult climbs don't leave good memories (in my case, even when I was fit 99% and weight 10kg less).
If you're not fit, it's easy to let go...
With bikes, everything will be much, much worse, if you're group ride is fast!

Eeb, is the opposite.
As you get some fit, you will challenge yourself.
If the eeb & fitness kicks in, you'll start doing loops non-stop, having a blast in the uphills, downhills, flat and squezing a ride almost everyday.
You will not only have a blast, but serious milages and accumulated height on your rides and year!

And the thing is... getting fitter on a eeb is easier, and will become much more satisfying any bike ride!

In my opinion, EEBs don't replace BIKEs, they complement (A bit like MX/Enduro/Triao motorbikes)

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Like a lot of other people, the idea of the ebike for me is that "doing something is better than doing nothing". But unless you have the discipline of a Spartan and stay in eco all the time, there's no way riding an ebike will get you as fit as riding a regular bike. And the whole point of getting the ebike for me was to take the edge off the hills. In one respect it's probably better for me because I'm able to ride aerobically rather than being anaerobic all the time.
This is the bottom line for me, Ive had my EMTB for coming up 12 months. I have ridden just on 1700km/1000 miles. I still ride my analogue bike to work 4-5 times a week. I think my overall fitness is slightly better but its seriously not as much improvement as I had anticipated.

Go back and ride an analogue bike up a decent hill and tell me your fitness has improved, I tried to last week and it was very eye opening/disappointing

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
...unless you have the discipline of a Spartan and stay in eco all the time, there's no way riding an ebike will get you as fit as riding a regular bike
Disagree.

Aerobic fitness -> zone 2/3 work - easy to get more on an ebike as you can choose to avoid high intensity pedaling so ebike wins

Anaerobic/high intensity pedaling -> this just depends how hard you push the pedals, you could granny gear and work less on a regular bike than standing up and charging hard on an ebike. Admittedly it's a non-discussion on a regular bike to some extent, but hard work can still be done on an ebike. The real question is, is this how you define "fitness"? regular bike wins

Anaerobic/high intensity non-pedaling -> on either regular or ebike, my highest heart rates are on the descents. I spend more time descending on an ebike and the bike is heavier to rip around, ebike wins

Frequency -> easier to recover using an ebike since we can tune intensity and so get out more often, ebike wins

Can I sit back and let the ebike do the work and throw fitness to the wind? Yes. (Except for the descents.) Does anyone have to? No.

Riding regular bike does get you better at riding a regular bike though for sure, because of specificity.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
This is the bottom line for me, Ive had my EMTB for coming up 12 months. I have ridden just on 1700km/1000 miles. I still ride my analogue bike to work 4-5 times a week. I think my overall fitness is slightly better but its seriously not as much improvement as I had anticipated.

Go back and ride an analogue bike up a decent hill and tell me your fitness has improved, I tried to last week and it was very eye opening/disappointing
Quite possibly your fitness in handling the bike downhill has improved though. This would be apparent if your times have improved. Your ability to grind up hills with no motor would be less simply because you haven't been doing that. It's a specific thing, not general fitness. It doesn't mean you haven't improved a lot aerobically or in other ways.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Quite possibly your fitness in handling the bike downhill has improved though. This would be apparent if your times have improved. Your ability to grind up hills with no motor would be less simply because you haven't been doing that. It's a specific thing, not general fitness. It doesn't mean you haven't improved a lot aerobically or in other ways.
I'll be honest I find only moderate enjoyment in riding my ebike downhill, I purchased it more to do long days(even multi) out in the hills. Its too expensive for me to want to thrash down our usual downhill runs PLUS I have a DH bike and a chairlift bike park for that. Jump lines and 8 foot drops are definitely more comfortable on a 200mm+ DH bike.

I stand by my statement that long term on the same usage vs usage time, you'll be fitter on a non Ebike. Part of the reason I ride my XC (non-E) 30km a day to work.

Last edited:

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I stand by my statement that long term on the same usage vs usage time, you'll be fitter on a non Ebike.
If were talking about the same distance/terrain covered, then yeah sure I would agree. I mean, more work done over longer term = fitter.

Myself I always ride much further and longer on the ebike vs regular bike. If I rode the same distance I'd be done in 40 mins max... lol

To be honest sounds like with your high level of fitness (and jump line awesomeness ;)) you'd probably be better off with a lightweight eeb. Might make the work commute suck a bit I guess, though you're in Christchurch and it's pretty flat eh.

Everyone's different :)

Last edited:

Paris Doo

Jun 20, 2022
Greece
If someone is already fit & without any problems (bad knees etc) then a regular bike should be fine but otherwise emtbs seem to be a great option for a lot of people.

I am 44, 10 kg above my ideal weight & I have a "bad knee" (chondropathy & tendonitis). I have been riding mtbs for almost 20 years but as I grow older I am straggling a bit as rides become longer & mountains I ride become steeper.

For many years I have been against emtbs but after reluctantly trying one & about 1 year of considering buying an emtb, I have pulled the trigger and I couldn't be happier! With an emtb there aren't any excuses for me anymore and I ride as much as I can.

Am I fitter? Versus not riding at all of course! Jokes aside I am feeling healthier, stronger and my knee doesn't hurt that much anymore. Plus I have so much fun riding up & down 3x more than I used to! And I just have to click a button in order to select the type of my workout. Less assistance means more anaerobic training for my & more assistance means more aerobic which is important in order to build my fitness base.

Reactions: Zed

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I'm just as exhausted at the end of a ride with either an emtb or my analog bike. Strava has me by the balls either way since it tracks my e rides separately from my non-e rides. I'm just constantly trying to see if I can do a lap faster than last time on that bike. I think the main difference is the distance traveled. I spend about the same amount of time at the same average heart rate either way. I just get to cover a lot more ground on my ebike, and therefore the reward is greater. I have no scientific data as far as fitness, but I think the average heartrate and duration being the same on either activity is pretty telling.

edit: oh, I pretty much always ride in trail mode on the trail, and turbo mode on my commute. I still max my heartrate out in turbo mode just the same. The speed is so fun I forget how hard I'm pushing either way.

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
I was doing zero kms on my Muddy Fox but now doing 60-80 per week on my Rockrider eSt 900.
Answer is self evident :)
20230708_142915-01.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles