Has the Shimano SC-EM800 display a light port?

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi!

can you please tell me if the sc-em800 display (the one for the ep8 motor) has an available light port to connect an ebike light? Do you know how many volts?

If you have this display, could you please share a picture of the back with the connectors?

thanks!!!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, but the motor itself does. You can then control the lights from the display/mode switch, but you have to activate it via the app. Same as the e8000

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
So... do I have to pass a cable from the motor to the front? That's a stopper for me xD

Thanks for the link, it looks pretty easy but I would like the cable to be internally routed and I don't think I have the chance to do it :(

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes you do - what bike do you have, its not as difficult as you may think

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Yes you do - what bike do you have, its not as difficult as you may think
It is an orbea rise (shimano ep8 rs). I don't see the cover with the light connectors on my version of the motor.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe the frame design of the rise covers the prt of the motor with the connections. You would need to drop the motor - I would advise asking your LBS to do it for you if you buy a lighting g kit for the bike

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
In Orbea web:

You can download the Rise Bluepaper with instructions and diagramas. In page 56 you can see the routing of the cables, it is easy to route the light wires in parallel to the SD300 cables from motor to display, but as said before, the motor covers are not removable but integrated in the frame so you'll need to drop the motor to do the installation of light wires. But your LBS should be able to do this at a reasonable cost.

In Shimano web:

You can download the motor Manual DM-EP800-01-SPA.pdf. and in page 34 you can see the ligh connection.

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Thank you very much!!! I am not concerned about the cost of the installation but the ability of the technicians doing it to reinstall everything in a good working condition xD

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
The only "difficult" task is to drop the motor, and any LBS should be used to do that. Which town in Spain are you located?

Andy Sid

Sep 20, 2021
Leeds
Im just wiring a Exposure light into my Rise and its not as simple as I thought, there no hole/port in the head tube for the cable to come through, ive had to modify things which I didn't appreciate doing. Ive then had issues when I had to then take the bike to a dealer to have the light port switched on with the bike connected unto the dealers Shimano diagnostic system. Even when the switched the lighting port on the Exposre light didn't seem to work. I need to double check through the lighting manual and the EP8 info to see what's not happening. Did you get yours working, any issues? Its no wonder so many Ebike riders are still scraping battery pack lights to their bikes, surely the display units should come with a dedicated lighting port instead of having to drop motors out of frames and feed extra cabling through.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles