Kenevo Gen1 Handlebars to solve carpal tunnel/hand pain

rokaldo

Jan 17, 2022
Ljubljana
I run SQ Lab Bars with 12 degrees of back sweep on my Specialized Levo Turbo S-Works, YT Decoy Elite and Specialized Sirius hybrid bicycle. They were definitely lifesavers for the numbness and hot spot issues I was having. Use Ergon GA2 Fat grips on my Levo, ODI Elite Pro's on my Decoy and Ergon GP2's with bars ends on my hybrid road bike. The additional backsweep has really helped, no more numbness or sore hands. Had to try a few different grip options to compliment the bars. Just purchased a set of Rev Suspention grips that a riding buddy swears by thst I wi try on my Decoy. Definitely think the larger diameter grios help with fatigue and numbness/hot spots.
I am also looking to put the sq labs bar on my levo. Which stem did you go for?

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Another vote for:

- Carbon bars that are known to be compliant like those OneUp ones (some are very stiff, including some Deity bars, and would be counterproductive); or thinner carbon bars (31.8mm) that are known to be compliant;
- and grips like the Ergon ones;

Together, they solved my hand pain problems.

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
Hand numbness can also lead to shoulder issues especially as we age. Get your cockpit in order with correct handlebar rise, back sweep, seat positioning, angle of levers, stem height, and definitely Ergon grips. Determine your correct backsweep before purchasing. If you need a more upright riding position, Spank sells a 60mm rise bar. I hate the idea, but if you are still having issues, a Stem Riser might be what you need. Do figure this out before you need PT.

Rick66

Oct 10, 2022
Sweden
I had problems with handpain and numbness, most of it is solved by bar rotation.
If i had to much forward roll i got pain in outer fingers/hand, and rolled to much back i got pain in thumb/inner part of hands.
Then for me thick grips solve the rest.
So i think its good to try the bar roll before change bar, alot of changes.
I could feel the pressure point move in hands , when Rolling the bar.

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
You are correct but finding a good one (locally) is a challenge and typically they are more adept to road bike fitting where the dynamics are different.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
By practicing keeping my arms light(but still holding tight onto the bars) has really helped through the rocks roots etc. I guess that also makes you rely more on core

LevoBiker

Feb 11, 2023
NJ
As I said, it’s a local issue. In my multi-metropolitan area, the IBF teams target road and gravel exclusively. The way I look at it is that experiencing pain (as opposed to fatigue) is not good. Experiment over a few rides by altering what you already have. Move seat forward or back. Bring grips inward (you may need to eventually cut your stock bars). New grips are cheap. Measure your normal backsweep angle (there are videos on this). If your backsweep is less than 9 degrees, a new bar is less than $100. How do your shoulders and lower back feel after 6 miles—-get an extra inch bar rise or shorten stem. When these common sense techniques fail, invest the hundreds in a fitter. He may tell you to purchase a new bike because your LBS sold you the wrong size.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Taller bars with a bit more sweep and less reach is usually easier on your wrists. Too far over the front obviously puts more pressure on your arms. I generally run 35-40mm rise bars simply for comfort. The bars bend sb aligned with the fork angle as close as possible also. Try sliding your seat forward or back as this sometimes relieves pressure. Try not to death grip the bars...a lighter palm pressure is always better.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
i Have arthritis in most of my finger/thumb and wrist joints and often found my knuckle joints would swell up I think from pulling up on the bars..for me I’ve found nukeproof version 1 horizon bars which have a slightly different upsweep too the v2 and strangely a thinner diameter ultra sticky renthal grips really help with things.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There may be 2 different issues being conflated here.....and therefore different solutions. There are nerves on either side of the hand...Ulna and Median......then there is the carpel tunnel in the wrist that can restrict the median nerve. I think it may be more likely that getting the best bar sweep etc such that the wrist is straight in line with forearm would resolve impingement on either nerve. Shaped grips like the Ergon may also ensure even pressure on both sides of the palm. After that, learning not to prolong a death grip on the bars is also needed. Gloves and grips that provide good grip without having to hold on tight can also help.

If the problem is caused by general vibration it is likely that there is already carpel tunnel inflammation and that is probably best dealt with by getting bars that reduce that vibration.

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
Which Ergon grips?
I have used the Ergon GA3 grips on my bikepacking bike and they relieved almost all the pressure on my hands and let me ride for so much longer in comfort. I haven't tried them on my EMTB yet, but so far don't feel the need too. Depending on the style of riding you do they may be good for you, trail riding I think they would work very well, more enduro/DH I'm not sure you would get the grip on the bars you need to. Just my 2 cents, cheers.

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
I use this:
I‘m very happy with them!

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
Since I got the Ergon GP1s dialled in ... they are very adjustable ... I have had zero wrist/carpal tunnel pain .... bought a second pair for when these wear out ... all of my old fogies riding group of (serious??) mountain bikers use them ... steep, rough, fast downhill, hard braking, old injuries, arthritis ... the GP1s have taken all the wrist and lower arm discomfort out of riding ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles