Kenevo Gen1 Handlebars to solve carpal tunnel/hand pain

Ryan

Jan 12, 2021
Australia
I’ve had my Kenevo for just over a month now but still experiencing extreme hand pain when riding. I’ve already swapped the stock handlebar for a Diety Black Label alloy 35mm rise with SQlab 710 grips, and that made it better but still bad enough that I can lose feeling in a couple of fingers for days at a time.

I figure at this point it’s a combination of posture, core strength and bike setup. Posture and core strength will come in time, but I need to get the bike setup right in the meantime so I can ride without causing major injuries

Has anyone run the SQlab 30x bars on their Kenevo, either 12 or 16 degree?

Considering switching to this based on reviews, but it looks like the 12 degree 45mm rise is ideal, but out of stock in Australia. 16 degree is available.

I’ve solved most of my other issues just need to get this hand pain sorted because it’s a real issue.

What setups have worked for you?

Neverbeentomoab

Jun 17, 2019
Middlesbrough
Some people recommend the nukeproof horizon v2 for carpel tunnel they are only 9 degree back sweep but they are supposed to help. I’ve ordered a set off CRC in 38mm rise but they won’t arrive until tomorrow. I’ll report back when I’ve tried them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Could it be as simple as the grips?
I used to suffer from numbness, pins & needles, wrist pain... all manner of problems. Then I discovered Ergon GP1 grips.

Yes, they are definitely not round! Quite flat in fact, but they work! You may have to experiment for a few rides before you get exactly the correct angle (flatter than you would think) for you, and each hand may require a different angle. But they are the first thing I fit to a new bike. If you want a cheap proof of concept, you may be able to buy used ones on eBay.

Unless you have tiny hands, get the Large. When looking around, be careful not to get the gripshift ones (unless you have gripshift of course!)

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
1.Maybe start by looking at the angle of your brake levers, if they are at a 45° it maybe causing your hand to wrap around the bars to much as you ride more in an attack position. A steep brake lever angle can cause you to cut off proper flow to your hands.
2. Neutral body position, think of it as not having any downward pressure on your hands you should be able to have equal pressure on your hands or fingers when you lean backwards. Now Neutral means for that 75% riding you do, to get you to that downhill section, once there that's when you hand on with tons of grip force.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was always told to have the brake levers in a line with your arms when you are sat on the bike. So that if you extend your fingers, everything is in a straight line. It is logical and it felt OK to me at first. But now I have mine slightly higher than that, not much but just enough to make a difference to me. I have seen some better riders than me with the levers almost underneath the bar!! One of them was an acquaintance so I asked him about it and he said it allowed him to grip harder! I was not convinced.

Then I went on a bikes skills course with UK Bike Skills or "Jedi" as he is better known. (He may also be known as Tony Doyle). He made us all change our lever positions so that they were flatter. His logic was that it was easier to maintain a good grip on the levers when your arse was over the rear wheel. We all dutifully did as we were told, (he's that sort of guy). But I didn't like it, made my hands ache because most of the time, my arse was not over the rear wheel and I didn't have any difficulty reaching the grip in that position anyway. I have a long body for my height, so I'm a different shape to Jedi. But I persisted with it for a week or two (he is an expert after all), and my hands still ached. So I went back to my usual lever position. The message is that we are all different.

Ryan

Jan 12, 2021
Australia
Some people recommend the nukeproof horizon v2 for carpel tunnel they are only 9 degree back sweep but they are supposed to help. I’ve ordered a set off CRC in 38mm rise but they won’t arrive until tomorrow. I’ll report back when I’ve tried them.
Thanks keep me posted. I think the Deity bars are already 7 degrees backsweep which is why I was considering going more extreme.

Could it be as simple as the grips?
I used to suffer from numbness, pins & needles, wrist pain... all manner of problems. Then I discovered Ergon GP1 grips.

Yes, they are definitely not round! Quite flat in fact, but they work! You may have to experiment for a few rides before you get exactly the correct angle (flatter than you would think) for you, and each hand may require a different angle. But they are the first thing I fit to a new bike. If you want a cheap proof of concept, you may be able to buy used ones on eBay.

Unless you have tiny hands, get the Large. When looking around, be careful not to get the gripshift ones (unless you have gripshift of course!)
I thought about that but the SQlab 710 grips I moved to at LBS recommendation already are a similar shape. Dialling in the angle has reduced the pain but it’s still there.

Salsa Rustler Carbon bar and the Ergon Grips solved it for me
Looks good, similar concept to the SQlab. Glad it helped!

1.Maybe start by looking at the angle of your brake levers, if they are at a 45° it maybe causing your hand to wrap around the bars to much as you ride more in an attack position. A steep brake lever angle can cause you to cut off proper flow to your hands.
2. Neutral body position, think of it as not having any downward pressure on your hands you should be able to have equal pressure on your hands or fingers when you lean backwards. Now Neutral means for that 75% riding you do, to get you to that downhill section, once there that's when you hand on with tons of grip force.
Interesting. LBS set them at 45 and I’ve tried to keep them the same and adjust the angles of the grips accordingly, based on the idea that my wrist should be as straight as possible. Have not adjusted to be flatter. Will give it a try thanks!

I was always told to have the brake levers in a line with your arms when you are sat on the bike. So that if you extend your fingers, everything is in a straight line. It is logical and it felt OK to me at first. But now I have mine slightly higher than that, not much but just enough to make a difference to me. I have seen some better riders than me with the levers almost underneath the bar!! One of them was an acquaintance so I asked him about it and he said it allowed him to grip harder! I was not convinced.

Then I went on a bikes skills course with UK Bike Skills or "Jedi" as he is better known. (He may also be known as Tony Doyle). He made us all change our lever positions so that they were flatter. His logic was that it was easier to maintain a good grip on the levers when your arse was over the rear wheel. We all dutifully did as we were told, (he's that sort of guy). But I didn't like it, made my hands ache because most of the time, my arse was not over the rear wheel and I didn't have any difficulty reaching the grip in that position anyway. I have a long body for my height, so I'm a different shape to Jedi. But I persisted with it for a week or two (he is an expert after all), and my hands still ached. So I went back to my usual lever position. The message is that we are all different.
That’s what I was told and I’ve been chasing that setup so far, and trying to adjust in small increments to dial it in. I’m surprised the SQlab grips don’t come with a guide on how to adjust them given how sensitive they are to angles.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you suffer discomfort in your hands it seems to me there are 3 different potential causes. The first is high frequency vibration which will aggravate carpel tunnel syndrome, the second is pressure on the Ulnar or radial nerve ( ulnar mostly outer part of the hand, radial mostly thumb and inner part of the hand but both feed into the middle two fingers), and the third is misalignment of the forearm/wrist/hand which can cause pain mostly at the wrist although with carpel tunnel it also of course impacts on the 2 main nerves in the hands.

For high frequency vibration, some say different bars make a difference but I think you also need to look at small bump compliance of the fork and possibly front tyre pressures.
Pressure on the ulnar nerve is definitely best dealt with with grips like one of the ERGON range.
Alignment of forearm, wrist, hand is all part of cockpit set up but also riding stance. Bent elbows (outwards) enable your arms to act as suspension for example.
Maybe you also need to focus on just how hard you are gripping the bars. A death grip is always going to lead to pain.

SNEEZE

Sep 15, 2020
LAFAYETTE
I too have added an Oneup carbon on to my SL and it helps, but in no way prevents carpel tunnel pains in your hands.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Genuine diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome?
I'd be considering surgery.
My brother had successful surgery for his years ago

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
This is probably going to be your best alternative

Some reviews for you as well

Another alternative is Rev Grips

I have several friends that run Rev's and swear by them for reducing arm pump. Might help with your issues as well. The NSMB article also talks about running Rev's in conjunction with the Fasst Flexx bars I believe.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
I’ve used the ergon grips with success, my carpal tunnel is mild and suffer greatly from cubital tunnel syndrome.

if you’ve not been diagnosed I’d start there and talk to a physical therapist or better yet a sports physician. Less trial and error that way. This identified not just the issue but also the causes of my elbow pain and numb fingers.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
This is probably going to be your best alternative

Some reviews for you as well

Another alternative is Rev Grips

I have several friends that run Rev's and swear by them for reducing arm pump. Might help with your issues as well. The NSMB article also talks about running Rev's in conjunction with the Fasst Flexx bars I believe.

I had Flexx bars only KTM dirt bike to help with shoulder issues. I personally don’t think they’ll make as much difference on hand/wrist issues. Grips and a properly setup suspension will likely have a larger effect.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
All the tech in the world is just a temporary fix though - stretching, strengthening, and PT will help a lot too.
Agreed, I was going thru 6 or so PT sessions twice a year for awhile and now I do the stretching and such on my own. I'm told this allowed has me to put off the surgeries for a few more years or so.

No doubt in my mind that the right grips and bars make a difference because I went with one up carbon bars, I've not had time on the trail yet but can tell an enormous difference riding stairs and all my favorite drops I've managed to find in town.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
You have to ask yourself why this only came on when you got the Kenevo. Without identifying the cause you are doomed to have continued symptoms. The difficulty in lifting the front end of these really heavy E bikes causes repetitive stress to the flexor tendons of the wrist and they break down. Every time we ride, we are constantly lifting the front up for roots, rocks, logs, jumps and bunny hopping. Because the front end of these bikes is so heavy with the weight of the battery in the higher section of the down tube it's much harder to do this even with good technique but not impossible.
So this is an overuse injury. I get the same thing myself. The only thing that will successfully work is consistent stretching and strengthening: stretch wrist flexor tendons several times every single day, & strengthen with wrist curls with light weights 3 d/wk.
Really focus on using proper technique to lift the front end: compress the fork, then aggressively shift your weight immediately backwards so the fork rebound does most of the lifting, instead of just yanking hard on the handlebar. Really have to practice this till you can get the front to come up with very little pulling on the bars. Avoid any wrist flexion as the front end comes up. Try for neutral or slight extension.
Another cause: yanking the front up while locking the rear brake to turn the bike upside down to clean the chain, the underneath of the bike, checking sealant level in tires, etc. I have to actually take a moment to bend my wrists into extension then try to lock them there first before this.
Usually 6-8 weeks of weightlifting to strengthen wrist flexor tendons will get rid of it and avoid the need for surgery. Never go to bed at night without stretching those tendons. I've developed a habit of stretching mine on the bathroom counter first thing AM and last thing PM forever. That consistency is what works. Stretching them only once in a while when you think of it and only lifting weights once a week is not going to cut it. Got to be dedicated, consistent & patient, giving it 6 to 8 weeks. If I don't keep the weight training up it tends to come back because I'm a skinny wimpy dude, ha ha.
So, technique, technique, technique, and basic physical therapy: remember, what actually stimulates healing of musculoskeletal injuries in humans? Strengthening mostly, with stretching a close second: a basic physiological principle.
Had to edit this after posting it because I forgot the original reason I wanted to write it: don't spend any more money on a different handlebar, grips or anything until you try this first. This will work, new equipment won't. Your technique is wrong and that's what's causing it. Good luck.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yikes, apologies to OP, I should leave the technique advice to Gary. Went out and rode today and realized I forgot one of the most important tips for bunny hops: after the front pops up you have to rotate the grips aggressively forward to pop the rear up while jumping your weight forward as well. This does involve flexing the wrists at the end of the rotation on the grips. So you can't avoid flexing the wrists completely. But with the strengthening and stretching hopefully it won't aggravate the wrists eventually.

Jline2020

Dec 9, 2020
Boulder
You have to ask yourself why this only came on when you got the Kenevo. Without identifying the cause you are doomed to have continued symptoms. The difficulty in lifting the front end of these really heavy E bikes causes repetitive stress to the flexor tendons of the wrist and they break down. Every time we ride, we are constantly lifting the front up for roots, rocks, logs, jumps and bunny hopping. Because the front end of these bikes is so heavy with the weight of the battery in the higher section of the down tube it's much harder to do this even with good technique but not impossible.
So this is an overuse injury. I get the same thing myself. The only thing that will successfully work is consistent stretching and strengthening: stretch wrist flexor tendons several times every single day, & strengthen with wrist curls with light weights 3 d/wk.
Really focus on using proper technique to lift the front end: compress the fork, then aggressively shift your weight immediately backwards so the fork rebound does most of the lifting, instead of just yanking hard on the handlebar. Really have to practice this till you can get the front to come up with very little pulling on the bars. Avoid any wrist flexion as the front end comes up. Try for neutral or slight extension.
Another cause: yanking the front up while locking the rear brake to turn the bike upside down to clean the chain, the underneath of the bike, checking sealant level in tires, etc. I have to actually take a moment to bend my wrists into extension then try to lock them there first before this.
Usually 6-8 weeks of weightlifting to strengthen wrist flexor tendons will get rid of it and avoid the need for surgery. Never go to bed at night without stretching those tendons. I've developed a habit of stretching mine on the bathroom counter first thing AM and last thing PM forever. That consistency is what works. Stretching them only once in a while when you think of it and only lifting weights once a week is not going to cut it. Got to be dedicated, consistent & patient, giving it 6 to 8 weeks. If I don't keep the weight training up it tends to come back because I'm a skinny wimpy dude, ha ha.
So, technique, technique, technique, and basic physical therapy: remember, what actually stimulates healing of musculoskeletal injuries in humans? Strengthening mostly, with stretching a close second: a basic physiological principle.
Had to edit this after posting it because I forgot the original reason I wanted to write it: don't spend any more money on a different handlebar, grips or anything until you try this first. This will work, new equipment won't. Your technique is wrong and that's what's causing it. Good luck.

all good points, but Ergon grips made a HUGE difference for me. I also work regularly on conditioning and strength training. Grips are cheap, I say go try them. BTW, I also run Flexx bars on my dirt bike and think they help reduce arm pump.

Manbikeski

Sep 19, 2020
UK
I had the same issues with outer fingers - it turned out to be holding your mobile for too long - don’t grip your fingers around your phone !

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I used to suffer with dead forearms and tired grip when I first started MTBing. once I realised that a full on death grip is not necessary all the time and to just relax your hands on the controls, things got a lot easier

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Unlike an urban bike, on an MTB the rider is not sat upright but leant forward at about 45 degrees angled at the waist. So an interesting test may be to put the bike in a wheel stand and adopt a normal seated riding position. Now release your grip on the bars completely without moving your upper torso.
So how much of the weight of your upper torso and head was being supported on your arms/hands?................and how much was being held purely with core muscles? If the answer was that you were largely propping yourself up with your hands what you need most to avoid wrist/hand pain is to strengthen your core muscles.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I suffer with carpal tunnel , it got so bad years ago after some extended kayak expeds I literally struggled to lift a coffee mug . My doctor advised both wrists operated on but to try cortisone injections first Well I couldn’t afford the time off work and had heard bad things about cortisone . I had just read a book about a guy called Paul Caffyn who had kayaked around New Zealand and Australia. He suffered badly with carpal tunnel and a friend who studied acupuncture had kept him going .
My doctor also did acupuncture and I asked him to try it on my carpal tunnel . He was sceptical but amazingly after only 2 sessions I was almost sorted . It still comes back at times and hard bike rides can cause numb fingers .
Carbon handlebars have been the best thing I’ve used , they absorb the fine vibrations that seem to bring on the numb fingers . I’ve got carbon bars on all my bikes except the new trek , Iam not getting problems with that bike which I put down to the zeb fork Also conciously relaxing my grip helps , it’s always worse if Iam tense on difficult terrain , and the road bike can the worst

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
Another vote for the Ergon grips with carbon bars- I use both and having had ops for carpel tunnel on both wrists, this makes a big difference? Also I dont grip the Ergon grips too tightly to reduce tension, their shape enable me to « rest »my hands on the grips rather than grip tightly.

Take care with the brake lever position, as well to get the best wrist alignment.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I’ve had my Kenevo for just over a month now but still experiencing extreme hand pain when riding. I’ve already swapped the stock handlebar for a Diety Black Label alloy 35mm rise with SQlab 710 grips, and that made it better but still bad enough that I can lose feeling in a couple of fingers for days at a time.

I figure at this point it’s a combination of posture, core strength and bike setup. Posture and core strength will come in time, but I need to get the bike setup right in the meantime so I can ride without causing major injuries

Has anyone run the SQlab 30x bars on their Kenevo, either 12 or 16 degree?

Considering switching to this based on reviews, but it looks like the 12 degree 45mm rise is ideal, but out of stock in Australia. 16 degree is available.

I’ve solved most of my other issues just need to get this hand pain sorted because it’s a real issue.

What setups have worked for you?
I run SQ Lab Bars with 12 degrees of back sweep on my Specialized Levo Turbo S-Works, YT Decoy Elite and Specialized Sirius hybrid bicycle. They were definitely lifesavers for the numbness and hot spot issues I was having. Use Ergon GA2 Fat grips on my Levo, ODI Elite Pro's on my Decoy and Ergon GP2's with bars ends on my hybrid road bike. The additional backsweep has really helped, no more numbness or sore hands. Had to try a few different grip options to compliment the bars. Just purchased a set of Rev Suspention grips that a riding buddy swears by thst I wi try on my Decoy. Definitely think the larger diameter grios help with fatigue and numbness/hot spots.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles