Handle bar jacks

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Have a look at this...
I use it for strapping things to the bike and as brake lock etc.
I keep some wrapped around the seat post for emergency but you could wind it around the bars enuff to do the job needed and it's there for an easy emergency fix

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Have a look at this...
I use it for strapping things to the bike and as brake lock etc.
I keep some wrapped around the seat post for emergency but you could wind it around the bars enuff to do the job needed and it's there for an easy emergency fix
I'm currently thinking along the lines of something to just slip over the left grip where the Purion display is mounted to raise that side only off the ground.

Al

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
whilst not a solution for out on the trail I made a device to enable me to turn the bike upside down without endangering the purion display. I carry my bike to trails in my van using a fork mount fixed to the van floor...meaning the front wheel is always off the bike when I travel. To fit or remove the front wheel I turn the bike upside down resting the bars on the bumper. What I made consists of length of plastic capping the same length as the bars ( capping is flat and about 120mm wide) and then glued a large block of upholstery foam on each end. The whole thing is very light and easy to carry in the van/car but not the sort of thing you would want to strap to your back on a ride!! If I needed to turn the bike upside down on the trail I would remove my tool kit bag from the top tube and use that, albeit lifting one side of the bars is not that stable. Turning the bike upside down to fit the front wheel has the added advantage of running the oil in the fork up to the dust seal sponges.

ps I have also made a device that fits onto the front brake side grip with an elastic band ( hair band is best!) that when fitted prevents the brake lever being pulled. I always have that fitted whenever the front wheel is off the bike to prevent me accidentally operating the front brake. I dont like using the little caliper spacer blocks because they contaminate the pads if not at first then ultimately.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
A peace of that grey thick pipe lagging slotted on each bar end should be enough to raise it. Not tried it yet but that’s what I am planning on doing. (y)
Doesn't raise it quite high enough I'm afraid. I have used this before and it worked but it doesn't on this bike. I was hoping that someone would come up with some cheap, simple solution with something one is likely to have lying around the house.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I can't find exactly what I've got online, but they're something like these.

I used them before I got a stand, but could easily put them in a back pack/bag to use while out on a bike.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I can't find exactly what I've got online, but they're something like these.

I used them before I got a stand, but could easily put them in a back pack/bag to use while out on a bike.

That's the sort of idea I'm looking for. Presumably they grip the handle bars tightly enough?

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Just ordered some. £2.95 for 6. Can't go wrong really at that price. The idea of just standing the handle bars on a block or a brick sounds awkward as it means manhandling the bike into the position where the brick is. Far better to have something already on the bars IMO.

Al

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Just ordered some. £2.95 for 6. Can't go wrong really at that price. The idea of just standing the handle bars on a block or a brick sounds awkward as it means manhandling the bike into the position where the brick is. Far better to have something already on the bars IMO.

Al

Nice one, the I forgot to say that they come in a huge range of sizes, so it'swirth measuring how high they need to lift the bike.

Let us know how you get on :)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
How about... installing one of these 'ding-ding' bells right beside the vulnerable controller you're wanting to protect? If you get a bell that's tall enough so that it's the bell that rests against the ground or pavement when the bike is upside down, then it might work as a inconspicuous bar stand that you can leave on the bike all the time.

I haven't actually tried one out for this application, but all I know it's the first thing I remove from a brand new bike. Well... that and the spoke and/or pedal orange reflectors - oh AND the newbie cassette flap spoke protector thingy disc... :rolleyes:

I'm actually thinking of putting the bells back on because it's a requirement in some of the cycle/walking paths and river trails that my wife and I frequent. :oops:

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 2.13.38 PM.png

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Bar ends, bells. What sort of hard core, rufty tufty, mountain bikers are you lot? :)

OK confession time. I've got one of those Knog Oi's on my bike because it's unobtrusive and I got sick of shouting "coming through" on fire trails and not being heard.

Al

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bar ends, bells. What sort of hard core, rufty tufty, mountain bikers are you lot? :)

OK confession time. I've got one of those Knog Oi's on my bike because it's unobtrusive and I got sick of shouting "coming through" on fire trails and not being heard.

Al
I use the "skid" technique. Apply rear brake hard when in reasonable audible range of oblivious walkers ahead. If you use a bell they would probably think it is a mega important alert from Instagram on their phone!

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I've seen a product that keeps the cockpit bits and pieces clear of the ground if you have to turn your bike upside down to carry out repairs. I damaged my Purion display on my previous bike doing exactly this and would like to avoid doing the same to my new bike. Does anyone have any clever devices that they have made themselves? I'm currently thinking about a couple of pieces of PVC pipe with some padding added.The advantage of the commercial product however is that it is light and portable.

Al
Here you go - www.handlebarjack.com Plenty of reviews on Youtube

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I've seen a product that keeps the cockpit bits and pieces clear of the ground if you have to turn your bike upside down to carry out repairs. I damaged my Purion display on my previous bike doing exactly this and would like to avoid doing the same to my new bike. Does anyone have any clever devices that they have made themselves? I'm currently thinking about a couple of pieces of PVC pipe with some padding added.The advantage of the commercial product however is that it is light and portable.

Al
Here you go - www.handlebarjack.com, plenty of reviews on Youtube

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Not exactly portable, but this is my hack to protect the purion display, held on with a reusable zip tie. I carry my bike in the back of my wagon, so always have to flip the bike get the wheels in. Should really do the same for the other side too.

20200928_150041.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles