Handle bar jacks

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've seen a product that keeps the cockpit bits and pieces clear of the ground if you have to turn your bike upside down to carry out repairs. I damaged my Purion display on my previous bike doing exactly this and would like to avoid doing the same to my new bike. Does anyone have any clever devices that they have made themselves? I'm currently thinking about a couple of pieces of PVC pipe with some padding added.The advantage of the commercial product however is that it is light and portable.

Al

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Even in the bush, I just look for a stick or rock of the right size on the ground. I only need it for the up down switch (shimano system) on the left side. Most of the time I don't even move the stick or stone, just lift the bike upside down and put the left side end of the handle bar on the stick or stone - it's high enough to keep the switches above the ground. At home, I just use a piece of wood. It's really quite easy.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've just found a couple of polystyrene blocks that work OK but I was hoping for something that attaches to the handle bar so that it is in place before you turn the bike over rather than trying to line things up.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've just found a couple of polystyrene blocks that work OK but I was hoping for something that attaches to the handle bar so that it is in place before you turn the bike over rather than trying to line things up.
do you actually need something both sides? At home if my bike is upside down it is on a sheet of cardboard - so I just need one side of the bar raised a bit. Cardboard protects the seat too. Just cardboard from appliances etc - I also use them for lying on when I'm under the car.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Yes one side will do it. I have a Park tools maintenance stand for home and serious work. The main reason I want this is for when I arrive at the bike park with the front wheel off. I find it far easier to present the wheel to the bike rather than the bike to the wheel if you see what I mean. I think I've fallen into the trap of over thinking the solution:)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've used a bricks under each grip to keep the bars off the ground.
Don't really fancy carting two bricks around with me :) The beauty of the extremely expensive, over engineered commercial product is it's light and it's portable so could be carried on the trail. I was hoping that someone had created something with tool/broom holder clips or some other bike components to achieve a similar result.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes one side will do it. I have a Park tools maintenance stand for home and serious work. The main reason I want this is for when I arrive at the bike park with the front wheel off. I find it far easier to present the wheel to the bike rather than the bike to the wheel if you see what I mean. I think I've fallen into the trap of over thinking the solution:)
I agree - I often have the bike upside down; even trail side repairs

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I had a pair of handlebar riser bars on my previous bike as you can see in the image. This was a tip from another MTB rider to avoid getting the handlebars getting covered in crud if inverting to repair. Also worked when assembling the bike from the car.

IMG_20200527_182733.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If the bike is upside-down intentionally I put my gloves on the floor first to protect the Purion.

If it's unintentional I try to land first and cushion it from mother earth... :ROFLMAO:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I wouldn't want something that's a permanent/semi-permanent fitting. I've managed to fabricate something from polystyrene that just pushes over the end of the grips. Probably will not last very long however.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
A peace of that grey thick pipe lagging slotted on each bar end should be enough to raise it. Not tried it yet but that’s what I am planning on doing. (y)

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
A peace of that grey thick pipe lagging slotted on each bar end should be enough to raise it. Not tried it yet but that’s what I am planning on doing. (y)
Yes I've used that in the past but it tends to fall to bits after a short while. Still it's cheap enough to replace on a regular basis and I think it's possible to get a more rubber based type which may last longer.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I just have a couple of pieces of cut pool noodle that are lying around for the incredibly rare times I turn my bike over. Just pop them over the display or controls and flip.

Gordon

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I turn my bike over every time I have to put the bike in the car and take the wheel off to do so. That's about 99% of the time so I was looking for a solution that's a little more robust but thanks for the idea. I have tried pipe lagging but it doesn't last very long. Is this stuff tougher?

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
You could just put a set of bar ends on.
I don't like the idea of bar ends for the riding I do. They are likely to catch on branches etc. I'm sure they would be fine for cross country but not a good idea on the gnarly single track down hill trails through woods I mostly ride.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I'm afraid I simply dislike the idea of bar ends on a predominantly down hill bike. It's not something that you see. They are probably fine for riding fire roads but on narrow, twisty, gnarly, single track with multiple branches on either side they look like an accident waiting to happen.

Al

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I'm afraid I simply dislike the idea of bar ends on a predominantly down hill bike. It's not something that you see. They are probably fine for riding fire roads but on narrow, twisty, gnarly, single track with multiple branches on either side they look like an accident waiting to happen.

Al
but they'll go with your fanny pack! :LOL:

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Yeah, not keen myself but they may do the job
I was thinking more in terms of a couple of pounds. I'm going to play around with some closed cell foam to see what I can come up with. Not the flimsy polystyrene type, something a little more substantial and rubbery perhaps.

Al

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles