E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Product Image:
20220703_144508.jpg

Product name: Halfords 500ml Tubeless Sealant
Price paid: £12
Score (out of 10): 10

Review: What can I say, its tubeless sealant that does the job.

I've been using this sealant for the last couple of months after discovering it after a random Google search 'tubeless sealant'.

For the price and the quantity, I did have my doubts. But I've since stocked up on these cans and now run them on near enough all my rigs.

The process of installation was simple and I'm pleased to confirm that I've successfully converted those who would use inner tubes to competently setting up their own tubeless wheels without getting frustrated or fearing that they'll spill sealant within the install.

Traditionally, my setup has always been generic tubeless valves which I pick up 2x£5ish on Ebay and my 10yr old+ Nelson track pump which I brought from Argos and whatever sealant was on offer!!
I've never needed to rely upon an air compressor or co2 canister (although, the Halfords sealant can be inflated with a co2 canisters). And the wheelsets/rims the sealant has been used with, ranged between:-
*Wtb STI30
*Spank oozy
*Roval traverse
*Shimano whmt500
*Sunringle duroc
*Stans Baron
*Bontrager Line comp
Etc.

Wheelsets which weren't tubeless ready like the shimano whmt500s weren't difficult to tape up and inflate & seal with the sealant. The usual signs of the tyre seating to the rim (the popping sound) was heard for each install.

Factoring in the £12 sealant, £5ish for 2 valves on ebay, £9 for the cheapest track pump I could find and £4 for gaffer tape and £2 for tyre levers from Wilkos (That's right, I'm cheap as chips me and I'm not ashamed of that!!!), in 2022 you can go tubeless (I.e. buying everything you need) for less than £32. AGAIN, THAT'S EVERYTHING YOU NEED!!!!!

One can has done 4 29er wheels. I have found that 125ml per wheel of sealant, does yield the promise of 'seals upto 6mm'.

By no means, I'm not implying that you all should go out and buy the Halfords sealant. But if your curious as to whether it works, my answer is yes.

Granted, it's not like muc off where you can pour the sealant into the valve or other brands (this is a sealant which you would pour into the tyre then pop the tyre back onto the rim). But its not difficult/ complicated. Any mess or excess spillage is subject to the technique used.

Anywho, hopefully this helps someone if they're considering their first tubeless conversation (especially if someone is of the belief that its cheaper to run inner tubes as a default because they believe that going tubeless is 'expensive') 👍🏿

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Thanks for the review 👍
When you say

"Granted, it's not like muc off where you can pour the sealant into the valve or other brands (this is a sealant which you would pour into the tyre then pop the tyre back onto the rim)"

Is it because it's very 'lumpy' or just that you'd need a small bottle or syringe to inject it via the tubeless valve?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Thanks for the review 👍
When you say

"Granted, it's not like muc off where you can pour the sealant into the valve or other brands (this is a sealant which you would pour into the tyre then pop the tyre back onto the rim)"

Is it because it's very 'lumpy' or just that you'd need a small bottle or syringe to inject it via the tubeless valve?
The second one 😅.
The can makes it difficult to determine how much you are pouring into the tyre (you have to guage it by feel if you freestyle it.
Alternatively by using the cap/lid, 6 caps is roughly the equivalent to 125ml.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Halfords a joke.. was in one of their stores earlier wanting to buy some lights after confirming on the website my local store had stock...
I go in and find the price if 69online but like 90 in store.....
I ask a member of staff if they can price match their own website rather than me having to do a clickjand collect in one hour order....
"I don't know"
I literally walk out never to ever shop in halfords ever again..
I then see on their website it claims instore they will price match vs any other brick and mortar store... so he should have said yes... absolute clowns!!!!!
Sorry wanted to rant somewhere without making a thread.
I literally walked 3 miles to get there and 3 miles back home.

people wonder why the high street is dead

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles