Haibike Hardnine 7 Yamaha PW-ST not working

Arthur111

Nov 30, 2021
uk
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum . Few weeks back I have bought Haibike Hardnine 7 with 310 miles on the clock. Condition of the bike not working. Display A powers on, but part of it shows milage and range is flashing, shows only odometer, range is 0 on all levels of support. Bike works with pedal support only up to 3-4mph, then disconects, walk assist works. Tests in Service menu after long press power button doesn't shows any errors. I have checked visually all connections. All looks OK.
Previous owner had previously fitted speed box and he think that was a cause of problems. After connecting to haibike software shows that everything with bike is ok, no errors. My friend has bought similar hibike, but with PW-SE motor in it. I have fitted my motor in to his bike. Same symptoms no range, speed and flashing display, no error codes.
Bike is in workshop now. They have ordered speed sensor, but still waiting for it. Any ideas? Thanks for any help and comments.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Didn't you eliminate the speed sensor by moving the motor to your friend's bike (with its own speed sensor)? If you spin the wheel do you see a speedo reading?

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
It would be interesting to pull off the speed sensor connector on a working Yamaha or Giant bike and see if it puts the bike into limp mode, like you seem to be seeing. I am working on a test bench for Yamaha and Giant rigs, but it will take me a little while to do so.

If the motor does the same thing when mounted on your friend's bike perhaps the speed sensor connector or speed sensor circuitry in the motor that monitors the hall effect speed sensor is bad. That connector was messed with during the derestictor installation/removal.

Michael12345

Dec 16, 2021
Prague
I have the same problem can anyone help? No errors, speed show always 0 and flashing panel under speedometer. It happened when i bypass the speedometer i put magnet on crank arm i was really hard driving always 50/kmh. Am thinking could be pas sensor inside yamaha pw-st??

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
Hi guys , I have the Haibike hard seven 6 with same problem as described above. I Would be interested to know if you solved the problem and what parts did you have to replace . Thanks J

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
Thanks for the quick reply , Is it possible I caused the problem by derestricting the bike . I removed the magnet and refitted it on the crank arm and repositioned the speed sensor on the frame , as seen on youtube.

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
Thanks for your help I will do that . I've only had the bike 2 weeks , il take it back to the shop and own up to what I did . costly mistake I imagine .

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
latest update from the bike shop . They did various checks , couldn't find the problem . Eventually emailed Haibike to discuss the issue. Haibike said the bike requires a new motor , which they are sending to the dealer for replacement. Not sure how long that will take, but I will post update when I have the bike back .

Sammyg

Mar 17, 2023
notts
Hi,

did you get this issue resolved might just started doing the same thing.

any advice is greatly welcomed,

Cheers
Sam

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
Hi , yes the issue was resolved with replacement motor , luckily I got it done under warranty. The explanation I got was the motor wasn't recognising the battery, I assume a software problem . I do wonder if I caused the problem with derestricting the motor without using a proper chip .

ernetmyk

May 27, 2023
Ukraine/europe
Hello johnzer!
My haibike has the same problem and I do not understand what to do.
I contacted the store(bikester_com) where i bought and to official "haibike_com" by email, but I did not have any answer.
How did you do it?
Do you know how I can refresh a software problem myself?

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
Hi, Fortunately my bike was under warranty and the dealer did the repair. He replaced the motor, he didn't mention doing a software update.

Brendan_Davies

Jun 12, 2023
GB
My hardseven 7 has exactly same problem, flashing odometer, assist cuts off above 4mph ish and speedo only shows 0 mph no matter what speed it goes. Waiting to hear back from bike shop and hoping things will be resolved under warranty as I am sure motor is expensive....

johnzer

May 31, 2022
uk
If I remember correctly the shop that changed the motor for me said it cost approx £650. Hopefully the warranty will cover it for you.

Brendan_Davies

Jun 12, 2023
GB
If I remember correctly the shop that changed the motor for me said it cost approx £650. Hopefully the warranty will cover it for you.
Thanks, fingers crossed, will advise when I know more. Bike only has about 300 miles on it and is used in the dry..

frankiemtb

Jun 16, 2023
Ireland
Hi,

did you get this issue resolved might just started doing the same thing.

any advice is greatly welcomed,

Cheers
Sam
Hi Sam , hope you got your bike fixed and are using it these days. Can you tell me how you got on with the issue and if you ever found the route cause ?
thank you,
f

frankiemtb

Jun 16, 2023
Ireland
Thanks, fingers crossed, will advise when I know more. Bike only has about 300 miles on it and is used in the dry..
Hi Brendan. How are you getting on with this mystery flashing odometer issue ? I see the bike had only 300 miles on it when it went wrong. When did you get it ? My bike is gone back to the shop now with a similar issue and only about 500 miles on it - totally new and in mint condition, never abused and never interfered with in any way.

Brendan_Davies

Jun 12, 2023
GB
Good Morning, My bike is still with the bike shop (a week so far). They have found the issue and are waiting approval from Haibike for a warranty repair. My bike was delivered November 2021 and is a 2022 model. Is this going to be a common problem??
... Once I hear more will advise...

Last edited:

frankiemtb

Jun 16, 2023
Ireland
Good Morning, My bike is still with the bike shop (a week so far). They have found the issue and are waiting approval from Haibike for a warranty repair. My bike was delivered November 2021 and is a 2022 model. Is this going to be a common problem??
... Once I hear more will advise...
Thanks Brendan. My shop is telling me the same story, which means Haibike are pondering at least 2 bikes with this issue now. 2 cases doesn't mean its a common problem, I wonder how many more they've actually seen globally though.

Newcs

Jul 9, 2023
Herts
Hi I have a hardnine 7 with the exact same problem happened this morning as I was riding, the bike is still under warranty so I can take it back to the dealer, was just wondering if the was an easy fix , ie reset , thanks Newcs

Newcs

Jul 9, 2023
Herts
Hi Brendon from reading stuff over the internet seems that Haibike have a problem with the Yamaha motor, I find it hard to believe my motor is shot after such a short time , I’ll be on the phone to the shop in the morning, and see what they say ,

Newcs

Jul 9, 2023
Herts
Hi Brendon from reading stuff over the internet seems that Haibike have a problem with the Yamaha motor, I find it hard to believe my motor is shot after such a short time , I’ll be on the phone to the shop in the morning, and see what they say ,
Just had it confirmed the Yamaha motors have a software issue, they are sending a new motor out for my hardnine 7 apparently a lot of the motors have been programmed wrong

Brendan_Davies

Jun 12, 2023
GB
Hello, Info recd from bike shop.. "We have now received the parts to fix your bike, and they have been passed to the mechanics to be fitted. We expect the repair to be complete within the next 48 hours and will be in touch once it’s passed through to our quality control before shipping" .. They previously mentioned a new motor seemed to be what was required...

frankiemtb

Jun 16, 2023
Ireland
Oh, replacement motors, replacement parts and software issues - all for the exact same problem.
My shop replaced the motor with one from the shelf, surely that will be prone to the same failure - what do you think ?

If a software issue has been identified - a software upgrade must be issued by Yamaha via Haibike & it's agents.
Newcs, if you've
"Just had it confirmed the Yamaha motors have a software issue..........a lot of the motors have been programmed wrong"
How did this confirmation come to you ? Can you share the email please ? There will need to be a limited recall for s/w upgrade. If not, this will be an oversight leading to ongoing problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles