Levo Gen 2 Guide RE to Shimano XT - do I need adaptors?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I have Guide RE brakes on a 2020 levo. At the front I have the usual lyrik fork.

I have bought some Shimano XT M8120 brakes with Ice Tech discs(thanks Dave_B). Does anyone know what adaptors I need to fit between fork/frame and caliper. Will the ones I have already got be OK?

Disc size is staying the same at 203mm.

new brakes:

thanks

JCU Delt Ox

Apr 22, 2022
Ohio, USA
Most people try to stick with the same manufacturer for caliper and adapter, but you should be just fine mixing Sram and Shimano. I've done it plenty of times. The only hiccup I've had was with Magura adapters.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Thanks. I guess I should be able to check the top of the pad material is right at the top of the disc when fitted.
I am surprised the manufacturers standardised the height of the caliper mountings so its all interchangeable...!

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
Can work, but do not put the special washer (that ere with the RE) between the adapter and the calliper.
That washers are only intended for the old CPS mount callipers (like the RE, witch are old Code callipers).

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
There is a collection of washers, I am a bit confused . If I take a pair away, the bolts are then too long. The adaptor says 20 mm on it.

Any idea what order they are sposed to be in and which I need? I take it I need shorter bolts too?

Thanks

1D6A47A7-8A5E-4F84-A67C-A955AD50DFB7.jpeg

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
Oh me!
remove all washers and allow adaptor plate to rest on frame mounts, offer calliper against adaptor plate and check alignment of piston in relation to rotor
‘you’ may have to place a single washer between calliper and adaptor, other washers go on above caliper though there’s too many (two)
ideally lose the flat washer on top and conical and bevel washer - with correct size bolts
though ultimately - check the piston to rotor alignment and work back - you may need correct size of adaptor plate

Where the calliper is per picture suggest adaptor are good & bolts are too long though I’m hasten to say the adaptor plate is the wrong way round

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Thanks. Adaptor plate is the right way round, arrow is pointing upwards on the other side. This seems to work below.

Single washer needed as you said. Bolts had plenty of thread so I sawed a bit off each of them.

D197B59A-1971-4E47-A6BE-53FF4488FBCE.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles