Greetings from Southern New Jersey!

Hello, everyone! What a pleasure it is to see a true dedicated e-mountain bike forum minus the nonsense I find ongoing and sanctioned by the moderators for the ebikes forums over on the mtbr website. A fellow e-mtb'er clued me in to this site yesterday and I like what I see here.

Shortly after buying and putting several thousand miles on my Specialized Fatboy, I started to learn about these mid drive powered fat bikes and got interested. Electric Bike Review was a great, great source. In early spring of 2017, I purchased a new Haibike Full Fatsix from Crazy Lenny's up there in Wisconsin and well, haven't looked back since.

I ride on the nearby old canal towpaths in my local area, in NJ, the Delaware and Raritan Canal feeder canal and across the Delaware River, the Delaware and Lehigh Canal systems. In addition, I have the state forests in NJ to ride, in particular, my favorite is the Wharton State Forest, where miles and miles of Pine Barrens sugar sand roads await the explorer. But for the most part, my rides are local, on asphalt roadways, from distances from 20 to 36 miles. The dual suspension FatSix takes the shock out of these poorly maintained NJ roads just fine.

Riding the Haibike exclusively since putting her into service, late April 2016, I'm working 5600 miles on the odometer. The bike has worked flawlessly. I'm a believer of the Yamaha mid drive system.

There are a few mods I want to complete on this bike to call it done; and that includes a rear Old Man Mountain rack so I can carry rear pannier bags, as well as a dyno hub lighting system, of which I have installed on the Fatboy, opening up the potential for the bike to be a 24 hour kind of bike in any conditions.

I've enclosed a photo of the Full FatSix at the turn around point on what turned out to be an early summer, 2018 run on the D&L and D&R towpaths. Milford, New Jersey, D&R Canal. When I got home, the odometer read 95 miles. All done in the ECO power setting with a few times I used HIGH power to climb some high creek watersheds....

Mike

100_3315.JPG

Slowroller: That's an Old Man Mountain rock-shox compatible Phat Sherpa front rack with one Ortlieb Commuter large back. My ride areas are wide track, no need to squeeze between a cliff and mountain face, or a constrained single track. So it's commuter bags for me and I'm partial to the Ortliebs. I did consider a bike packing set up, front and rear and I did make a concession at the rear end, a Portland Design Works rack and Revelate terrapin dry bag to carry my patch kit, tire pump, tools and ultralite Alite mayfly chair. I just found the Ortlieb handlebar bag more convenient to use while rolling along then one of those front bag rolls. And one or two commuter bags in the front will allow for some daypacking and overnight trips, until I can get a true rear rack installed....

Mike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles