Greetings from Southern California, USA - Introduction

Mouse Jockey

Feb 28, 2022
San Diego
Hi! My name is Tom and I've been known as "mouse jockey" on mtb forums since 2001. My online handle was chosen because, at the time, I worked in scientific research using mouse models to get results. Hence, the name "mouse jockey" - I rode mice for results. I no longer work in the research sciences, but the name remains.

I received delivery of my YT MX Decoy on February 11, 2022 when I picked it up from the YT Mill in San Clemente, CA. Before delivery I bought the custom Decoy Invisiframe wrap from the UK to protect the frame from minor scratches and dings. That took a leisurely four hours to apply over a few Stone IPAs while listening to RUSH. I highly recommend a protective wrap on new frames and Invisiframe is one of the best. The wrap contributes to my peace of mind when riding a new bike. I then took it out for a couple of easy rides to bed the brakes in after letting the wrap sit for 24 hours. Patience, I have in spades.

Last week was my first real ride in Santa Barbara, CA. I'm a gravity oriented rider who cut his teeth on rocky, steep terrain and I wanted an EMTB which has a gravity oriented geometry and parts spec, within a reasonable price point. Since I live close to the US YT HQ (the "mill") the YT was high on my list. When I first started looking I was very surprised how many great EMTBs are in the market! We are very spoiled and blessed. Both in the ability to afford such a luxury and the ability to partake in the use of that luxury.

It's not overstating the case to say that riding an EMTB is quite a sublime experience. There is an ethereal quality to feeling the pedal assist kick in on steep pitches after struggling up those same steep pitches for over 40 years of MTB riding. Part of the reason I started looking at EMTBs was I had COVID in October of 2020 and my lung capacity still has not recovered so I was hoping the EMTB would be a "bridge" of sorts to get me back to my pre-COVID respiratory stamina. We will see. That, and we are all getting older, which I'm fairly certain, some of you certainly can relate to.

This is only an introduction and I hope to post more and get to know some of you in real life off the boards, and on the trails. This is also my invitation for anyone that is traveling to the San Diego / Santa Barbara area in order to ride their EMTB to message me. I love to meet new friends around the world, and I am always willing to serve as a local trail guide for others. Let's get out and ride, the season is just starting!

To whet your appetite, I've linked a video of one of my local trails posted by world traveler. This is not an EMTB ride, nor is either rider me. However, coincidentally, I did ride the same trail on the same day as these two. I didn't run into them, but that would have been cool! The picture attached is at the top of the trail the two in the video rode to get to Cold Springs Trail. That is my bike and my doggo. She is a fantastic trail dog. Never goes off trail and keeps up with me on the DH.

02-26-2022 SB .jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles