Greetings from Grampian

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Hi there, just joined, and hoping to gain some tips from the more experienced riders and mechanics here!

Im a reasonably fit, recently retired 59 year old with a lifelong interest in bicycles, and have owned a hybrid ebike since 2016 or so, but just got myself a secondhand (2020) Whyte E-150 Emtb earlier this year; so far I’ve been very happy with the new horizons it has opened up for me, although I’ve recently noticed that the motor (Gen 4 Bosch) has stopped freewheeling -the perils of buying a used bike, I assume - so I’ve sent the motor down to Pete at Sandleheath to see whether anything can be done. The bike was pretty clean, but of course I don’t know the full history of it, so I’m awaiting Pete’s advice, and eagerly awaiting the time I can get back out on it again.

My partner runs a Giant Trance e which she was fortunate enough to buy from the original, elderly owner who had looked after it very well.

Outside of emtb, I’m a keen electric unicyclist, as well as sometime paramotor pilot of 20 years, though I have to say if I had to choose only one pursuit it would definitely be the emtb, and living here in the foothills of the Grampian mountains we are very fortunate to have extensive quiet forest trails on our doorstep to explore and enjoy.

So, looking forward to diving into the world of emtb!

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Keep a look out for @Binhill1 on here as he's up your way...

I used to live/ride up there, some glorious trails...

Cheers, my next move is likely to be bringing the assorted trail clearing implements with me in the rucksack (from secateurs through long arm bypass cutter and even electric chainsaw!) to clear ways through some of the neglected tracks and trails on the doorstep here, I’ve made a start, although there are indeed limits!

653FF47F-53E2-4C2C-8EB3-BDAE2E3A0E2D.jpeg

Post Arwen last year, the local foresters haven’t been too busy up here as regards track clearing; given this shown is one of the main tracks around the forest here, you can imagine the numerous minor trails….

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your retirement and I hope you get your Whyte sorted, I have an e150rs and I absolutely love it and can only agree fully with the horizons it’s opened for me too, of course I’m totally jealous of you being retired, can’t come quickly enough for me too

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your retirement and I hope you get your Whyte sorted, I have an e150rs and I absolutely love it and can only agree fully with the horizons it’s opened for me too, of course I’m totally jealous of you being retired, can’t come quickly enough for me too
Cheers Sean, albeit currently awaiting the diagnosis on my motor, so I’m reduced to a hazel stick at the moment (though I’ve been known to take whiles a tour on my ‘half ebike’ 😁)
73C58F93-2E99-4CF3-BAB4-B3CEE9B40CEB.jpeg

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Glenlivet trails the morn. Take the unicycle. Not sure what a half bike is.?
Local informal term for EUC (electric unicycle, or ’Effort Unrequired Cheater’, lol) - when pedalling is not so much required, and if you happen to meet someone, you can politely ask whether they have seen a pair of handlebars and a bell lying somewhere along the track!

E877A6C7-F2BA-4DB1-BE85-3783AABD162E.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Local informal term for EUC (electric unicycle, or ’Effort Unrequired Cheater’, lol) - when pedalling is not so much required, and if you happen to meet someone, you can politely ask whether they have seen a pair of handlebars and a bell lying somewhere along the track!

View attachment 101121
One and only time I seen a unicycle was on the Red bull trail at Coed Brenon excuse the spelling boyos that was twenty years ago . Enjoy

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Guessing that wasn’t an electric one, they’ve not been out that long, earliest players only started to emerge in the past 5 years, with the first suspension equipped ones only this year. 👍🏻

Freeforester

Nov 6, 2022
Grampian
Electric unicycles look so cool, of course I’m a little jealous 😉

They’re fun too! Learning ain’t so hard to do, especially if you’ve got a rider to guide you (I’ve helped 3 folk get the drift within 5-10 minutes, but that’s of course just the start), and it’s a bit like skiing everywhere, you don’t have to think too much about ‘steering’ when riding after a bit, it sort of becomes intuitive.

And - you’d be surprised at some of the jumps and DH trails some take them on and over!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles