great fun expected on a pretty remote island

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Hello Everyone,

I live and work on a small island in the Atlantic, with very steep roads and many tracks that follow the most vertical line, with gradients everywhere around 30% and more.

Since I was a kid I have always tried to use my bike as much as I could, wherever I have lived (for work reasons I lived in every different continent). Both for leisure and for commuting. being very sensitive to environmental issues, after discarding the possibility of buying an electric car (little yearly mileage), I decided to buy an e-bike, which some call 'the best EV on the market'... Here unfortunately the options are not many, as there are only a few seller, but you don't pay VAT, that is good. So, in the end I decided on a Trek PowerFly 7 FS L. I know it's not considered a great deal but for now it's ok. The only thing is the range, given the typical gradients, for now it's never more than 50-60 km, but I hope to improve by dosing the battery better.

I have a passion for running but my kneecaps no longer agree (I'm almost 64 years old) so I've decided to go back to the bicycle, but adding an "e" in front of it. As far as I can see, it's the best investment I've made in the last 10 years. This island seems perfect for the sport, with dozens and dozens of possible tracks going up to 2400 m in different climates and environment, forrest, rocks, very steep trails, always with a sea view but in the mountains!

Too much fun...

Last edited:

pagheca

Nov 6, 2022
La Palma, Canary Islands
Hi @pagheca are you aware of any ebike rental places on La Palma? Would you post some links please (if any).
There are plenty of them: Arriendo bicicletas

I can't suggest one in particular as I never tried it, but this is a very popular activity here, specially by German tourists. First, you have to choose which side of the island you want to start. I would suggest the East side: at Los Cancajos there are several hotels and shops that offer the service, but also in Santa Cruz. Or in Los Llanos, on the opposite, busier side of the mountain. They usually talk both German and English.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are plenty of them: Arriendo bicicletas

I can't suggest one in particular as I never tried it, but this is a very popular activity here, specially by German tourists. First, you have to choose which side of the island you want to start. I would suggest the East side: at Los Cancajos there are several hotels and shops that offer the service, but also in Santa Cruz. Or in Los Llanos, on the opposite, busier side of the mountain. They usually talk both German and English.
Wow! They all rent ebikes? That is amazing.
Thanks for your reply.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles