GPS mapping

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
I'm considering getting a Garmin Edge 2 GPS.
Has anyone got one?
Is it any good for off road trails with the standard mapping or do you have to buy additional maps? If so which are the best? Any help appreciated.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
For mountain biking, I prefer using a smartphone and a QuadLock mount. The apps for trails on Android and iOS are quite good. Which app(s) are best depends on where you are located. Here in the USA Trailforks is excellent.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Like Rick said, Trailforks is the best in the U.S. You can download and store one state at a time for free, or you can buy a subscription and store whatever regions you want. I'm not sure how their deal works elsewhere.

A while back I found a fancy $500 Garmin that was dropped by an off-road motorcyclist. I used it for a week before he came to pick it up. It seemed to work fine on the trails, but it wasn't very impressive on the roads. Perhaps if I had given it more time I'd have come to appreciate it more, but my brief experience left me with no desire to use anything other than my iPhone.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've used Garmin Edge products for years, I find the mapping to be excellent and easy to follow and plan routes.
I've done coasts to coasts and races and even just having the route of a bike park on there so i can explain where i am if need be or if i need to navigate back to the start with a press of a button.

dps21

Aug 27, 2023
Scotland
I use trailforks in UK and it's second to none. Run this on the smartphone mounted on stem with a quadlock so reasonably safe (inside a protective case) for most MTBing (but take it off and put in pocket for the really black stuff). Trailforks does also run on some of the higher end Garmins but a smartphone gives me better all-round functionality and would want to carry it any way in case of emergency etc.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I use trailforks in UK and it's second to none. Run this on the smartphone mounted on stem with a quadlock so reasonably safe (inside a protective case) for most MTBing (but take it off and put in pocket for the really black stuff). Trailforks does also run on some of the higher end Garmins but a smartphone gives me better all-round functionality and would want to carry it any way in case of emergency etc.

I've been in contact with the Trailforks team about some improvements as well, to make it more reliable when using it in in more extreme situations. Small details like the size of touch targets, voice control for some functions, a "screen lock mode" to prevent inadvertent "clicks" (on the iPhone, drops of sweat act like touches), etc...

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I’m in the uk and I use OS maps for plotting routes and a Garmin 1030+ for on the bike as I don’t find the battery life good on my iPhone
I’ve got accounts with Komoot and I use it occasionally, Strava but I never use it and Trailforks as it is bundled with Garmin but I don’t get on with it

mikoby

Jul 1, 2023
Spain
I find creating a route on Garmin devices very easy, or on komoot and then sending them to the Edge or Forerunner. Mainly cos the battery lasts way longer than my phone if you're doing a longer ride. For me, my phone starts to run low if the ride is fairly long whereas my Edge still goes for hours. I would highly recommend Garmin Edge devices but i've also heard great things about the Hammerhead Karoo 2 which is now a super bargain price and has loads of features

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles