Review Gorilla Tape - as a rim tape

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Update

3 months later and decided to change Maxxis for some Conti Kryptotal.

DO NOT FOLLOW MY RECOMMENDATIONS AND INSTALL GORILLA TAPE

I’ve had an absolute nightmare trying to drop the bead on the tyres. They were fused to the rim from a mixture of Gorilla Tape glue and sealant.

I had to resort to getting some clamps out to wrench the tyre off.

Good news was that the tape came off easily with no residue.

Don’t do it guys and gals.

IMG_8083.jpeg
IMG_8084.jpeg
IMG_8085.jpeg
IMG_8086.jpeg
IMG_8088.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg
IMG_8090.jpeg

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I have never understood why people think this is a good hack? rim tape is not expensive, it is super easy to apply and does the job quite nicely.

ozzybmx

Sep 26, 2023
Adelaide, South Australia
You were lucky that came off so nicely. Gorilla Tape is a nightmare usually. It bonds to the rims, tyre bead, leaks sealant under the tape into the nipple holes, tears off when removing tyres and on a tight rim/tyre combo can be too thick.

You can buy 50m rolls of tubeless tape from AliExp for $10 a roll. Cheap enough to buy in different widths.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
I have never understood why people think this is a good hack? rim tape is not expensive, it is super easy to apply and does the job quite nicely.
I applied it because the standard tape wasn’t durable enough when fitting Cushcore and Heavy Casing Maxxis.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
You were lucky that came off so nicely. Gorilla Tape is a nightmare usually. It bonds to the rims, tyre bead, leaks sealant under the tape into the nipple holes, tears off when removing tyres and on a tight rim/tyre combo can be too thick.

You can buy 50m rolls of tubeless tape from AliExp for $10 a roll. Cheap enough to buy in different widths.
The peatys rim tape was really bad to remove, loads of residue.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Last tyre change (August 22) I used gorilla tape because the tesa tape just wouldn't stick to the rim. This time, gorilla tape wouldn't bloody stick so I bought some 38mm electrical tape. So easy to apply.
This stuff;
www.amazon.co.uk/Insulation-Tape-Electrical-38mm-Black/dp/B004CSC5PO/
Good old trick I’ve used is a layer of standard electrical tape in the trough, then your rim tape of choice over the top. Rim tape doesn’t like to stick to matt paint finish (like Hope) so this makes it stick like s**t.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles