• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Giant Yamaha PW-X3 tuning

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
@goroncy - if I understand the information on the vendor site correctly, the VOLspeed needs to be activated each and every time when the bike is powered on. Can you confirm?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
@goroncy - if I understand the information on the vendor site correctly, the VOLspeed needs to be activated each and every time when the bike is powered on. Can you confirm?

I do confirm. And you can make your own combination of keys. I did. In case anybody stops you just power off the bike. After turning it on again it will work as the stock one.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Thx! I see the advantage behind it, but since I often have smaller breaks on my tours where the bike automatically switches off itself I find it a bit inconvenient for me. It would be cool if one could set the timeout in the Giant App ;-)

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Thx! I see the advantage behind it, but since I often have smaller breaks on my tours where the bike automatically switches off itself I find it a bit inconvenient for me. It would be cool if one could set the timeout in the Giant App ;-)
I agree, it’s a PITA to constantly turn the unit on every time the bike is turned off. It would be better if a code was used just to disengage it rather than the other way around. Retaining the settings even on power off would be way more convenient.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Absolutely. The chip doesn't change a thing in the settings. Until you cast a spell (magic key combination) the chip just sits there and transmits the signal in unchanged form. When you switch it on all the tuning settings still apply. The only thing that was so so is that after I installed the chip all the settings were reverted to factory settings. 30 second later I had my settings back.
Are you still using the Volspeed and does it still work ok with the latest Yamaha Firmware with the Updates to the Power profiles ? Do you update the Firmware with the Volspeed in place or do you have to remove it ?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Are you still using the Volspeed and does it still work ok with the latest Yamaha Firmware with the Updates to the Power profiles ? Do you update the Firmware with the Volspeed in place or do you have to remove it ?
I am still using Vollspeed. I didn't upgrade giant's software for a long time now (a year?). One. There is no need. Two. Rumors were enough for me not to upgrade. I don't want to brick the bike. Everything works. And going above 25kmh is absolutely my priority. So updating the software now doesn't seem to make any sense.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I am still using Vollspeed. I didn't upgrade giant's software for a long time now (a year?). One. There is no need. Two. Rumors were enough for me not to upgrade. I don't want to brick the bike. Everything works. And going above 25kmh is absolutely my priority. So updating the software now doesn't seem to make any sense.
Have you ever tried a Garmin or Similar for the Speed display and setting the VOLSpeed speed ? I can try when i get my Tuning Box just curious.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Have you ever tried a Garmin or Similar for the Speed display and setting the VOLSpeed speed ? I can try when i get my Tuning Box just curious.
Yep. I'm using Garmin edge and sometimes just the watch. When I press the special key combo to turn on the tuning chip maximum speed appears on the display to show that chip is on. Then you have couple of seconds to change the max speed. It's in the Vollspeed manual. Before switching on the chip your Garmin has to be connected with the bicycle.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Yep. I'm using Garmin edge and sometimes just the watch. When I press the special key combo to turn on the tuning chip maximum speed appears on the display to show that chip is on. Then you have couple of seconds to change the max speed. It's in the Vollspeed manual. Before switching on the chip your Garmin has to be connected with the bicycle.
Thank you That will help, I have read the manual talks about RideControl App but did not see other bluetooth devices mentioned. Thanks again.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
IMG_7862.JPG

Not ridden yet other than up the road to make sure it works.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
This is a message I got 60 seconds ago:

Dear Customer,

Due to current events, we would like to draw your attention to problems with our tuning products for Giant bikes.

The notice concerns the following products:
Article Description
1197 Ebike Tuning for Giant Syncdrive V3
1234 Ebike Tuning for Giant Syncdrive Sport / Pro / Life / Core V4
1251 Ebike Tuning for Giant Syncdrive Pro2 / Sport2 V4

A notice:
Not compatible with Smart Gateway software version 20240314000 or newer. Do not perform any software updates on the drive system. This could affect the functionality of the tuning and/or the bike. Also do not use the Ride Control app, as this app could force you to perform a software update.

For more information, see our blog:
DE: Kompatibilitätsproblem Giant Smart Gateway – VOLspeed
EN: Giant Smart Gateway compatibility issue – VOLspeed
We will update this entry as soon as we have new information.

Sincerely / Best regards

Tobias Lindermayr

TLI Electronics GmbH

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles