• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Giant Yamaha PW-X3 tuning

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
For anybody who is interested in tuning his/her Giant-Yamaha PW-X3 motor there is a tuning device from Italy. I contacted them and it will be available from tomorrow on. It seems it is a very basic model that allows only for turning it off and on. No max speed settings or anything. Installation seems to be trivial.

Tuning-ebike-SpeedFun-Furious-Evo-Giant-SyncDrive-Pro-2022-e-Yamaha-PW-X3_product.jpg

If anything else appears or gets tested lets add it to this thread.

tolmie35

Jul 29, 2021
Glasgow
I have a fathom E+3, is that the motor thats in that?

Ah ignore i can see thats not for my model.

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
New Far Cry is waiting so I'm gonna be quick. I bought this little bugger:

1251_VOLspeed_3000x2000.jpg

Directly from the maker:
VOLspeed E-Bike Tuning - Giant Syncdrive Pro2 V4

It works as described. You can change the max speed very easily. You can set up custom combination to switch it on (switching off is always the same). It integrates nicely with Giant's screens but I personally don't have any screen so I used the Ride Control app. Worked too.

To fit it I did all the things described in their YouTube video:
The thing they got a bit wrong in my opinion both in the video is the placement of the tuning device. They placed it behind the thick cables. I couldn't put the side cover back this way. Which caused the bottom motor cover to push against the misaligned side cover. The producer suggest on YouTube to place the device like this:
1649011462445.png

Thick cables are in front of the device here.

In their manual the placement is much better and allows the side cover to fit without any issues:
1649011599404.png

I did it my way :) :
DSC_2142.JPG

So take your time with the cables. And be careful not to cross thread the bolts that hold the side and bottom cover. Frame's aluminum is much softer than steel bolts and you should be careful here.

When it comes to ride impressions I will write more because I did just a short test ride. Definitely no on-off behavior I had with some Bosch chips. The motor still feels very natural just like before. Super easy to switch off in case cops are around. So far so good.

Update 1

There were some doubts on the forum if it is still possible to use the Ride Control App after installing the chip. Yes it is. I don't know why but all the motor tuning settings inside Ride Control App were reset to factory defaults but now I'm able to change and save everything: motor tuning and remote control button arrangement. I didn't do the firmware upgrade with the chip installed so this still has to be tested.

Update 2

So I broken my own promise today :D. I went slightly different way. Instead restricting it to 36 or 38kmh I just left it unrestricted (45kmh). Why and how it works now? My motor tuning looks like this:
Screenshot_20220313-185307.png Screenshot_20220313-185317.png
So basically I have the lowest possible percentage of assist on every assist level. When I derestricted the bike completely there is ZERO wall effect and max speed is actually something that depends on me and the motor working together. Which feels awesome. So on:
  • Tour: I ride something like 28kmh with a very comfy resistence
  • Active: The same feeling to the legs and the speed is around 34kmh
  • Sport: The same resistance but the speed is around 38kmh
  • Power: The same resistance and the speed is around 41-42
The really cool thing is that on whatever level I'm at the motor helps ALL THE TIME. So I can go to 40kmh even on Eco. So overall it all works MUCH better than I though it will. I think that this chip with this motor is MUCH MUCH MUCH more fun than Bosch with any chip I tested. Really cool stuff. What is left is reliability testing which will take me of course at least 2-3 months and at least 1000kms. Cheers.

Last edited:

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Thanks for the detailed write-up Goroncy, really helpful :)

I take it the motor tuning was personal preference and the chip doesn't lock you into these settings? Does the motor tuning in the app just work the same as pre-chip?

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thanks for the detailed write-up Goroncy, really helpful :)

I take it the motor tuning was personal preference and the chip doesn't lock you into these settings? Does the motor tuning in the app just work the same as pre-chip?

Absolutely. The chip doesn't change a thing in the settings. Until you cast a spell (magic key combination) the chip just sits there and transmits the signal in unchanged form. When you switch it on all the tuning settings still apply. The only thing that was so so is that after I installed the chip all the settings were reverted to factory settings. 30 second later I had my settings back.

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Damn, just tried to order direct from Volspeed, but they won't ship to the uk.

Can order from either Two Wheels Empire £150 or Ebike Tuner £159. Not bothered about the price difference, but if anyone has any dealings with either then let me know.

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
I ordered the V4 version of VOLspeed E-Bike Tuning. I was thinking of taking the bike to the next service. After that I will install the tuner. I am afraid the warranty will expire when this is installed ..

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Other than the speed restrict, it boggles the mind why Giant can’t build proper tuning into their app. Surely the motor does not talk in the terms of low, med, high. We need the ability to go up or down a few percent, as with gearing. Specialized has this, and I use it all the time on long rides with lots of climb. Yesterday I got 56mi, 5500ft out if my Levo by carefully adjusting the motor power to what I need. With my trance I feel screwed because I can’t even use the app without cell service, and I can’t vary the power as I need , with whatever low,med, high of each level really does.

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
Has the tuning worked well? I got mine today. I take my bike for the first service and put the tuning in after that.

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
I've had mine fitted for about 100 miles now, so far no issues. Easy to install and easy to activate/tune even without a display by using the Ride app on my phone. It's transformed the bike for me. I have a 20 mile loop local to me through wooded trails that is relatively flat but still offers a mixture of fast flowing and technical single track. It was a chore before as I kept hitting the limit, but now I can keep the momentum going and enjoy the bike the way I want to.

The default setting is 32kph, but I found I'd still hit that limit on occasions. You can increase the limit in 1 kph increments so I've settled on 36kph and that's been perfect. There is still that nagging doubt about whether I've done the right thing, as in future warranty issues, but life is too short and there's too much fun to be had so fuck it :)

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well I finally got around to installing the Speed Fun and I’m not impressed with their huge connectors. The male one that goes into the original speed sensor position is really Huge compared to the original. I am Very concerned about how much it sticks out, the wires have to be bent 90 degrees and actually rub against the cover when in place. I doubt this will work for long before the wires are stressed to the point of breaking.You can clearly see in the picture how far the connector sits out, it’s more then twice the size of the original. Look carefully and you can see the originals below their connector and behind the connector you can see the margin where the cover contacts. I’m going to remove the unit and try to get a refund. I certainly Do Not recommend this until because of the oversized connectors. Too bad hopefully I can get my money back.

5725BF67-F879-46A0-B255-EC03FF88699B.jpeg

DB03749B-C2F7-40BD-846D-7169A525E912.jpeg

6AAF3A6E-E373-479D-9787-4DEA87DE8DC9.jpeg

1C1588B3-D39B-4746-B562-336780EED3F6.jpeg

2598371E-62FD-41F8-9E3E-86C4879D44B9.jpeg

Last edited:

glovemtb77

Aug 2, 2020
Other than the speed restrict, it boggles the mind why Giant can’t build proper tuning into their app. Surely the motor does not talk in the terms of low, med, high. We need the ability to go up or down a few percent, as with gearing. Specialized has this, and I use it all the time on long rides with lots of climb. Yesterday I got 56mi, 5500ft out if my Levo by carefully adjusting the motor power to what I need. With my trance I feel screwed because I can’t even use the app without cell service, and I can’t vary the power as I need , with whatever low, med, high of each level really does.
Amen brother, Yes all of them mystifies me as well vs Specialed Mission control. Ideal would be 5 by 3 levels of control like with Syncdrive but you being able to set the % level in those 3 sublevels that aren't even graduated properly ! I do that on my Shimano Motor using StUnlocker but it really only has 3 levels of assist, like Mission control. Heck Bosh sucks even worse with 4 levels but no sublevels and of course, no % adjustment (btw, in the beginning iow back in the day, Bosh had a fantastic tuning app that you had 5 levels of control and you could set the %. Then, of course they dumbed it down. I think Fazua motors have % level setting but there motors are so underpowered it ain't funny.
Giant bikes: Revolt e+pro 2022, Trance x e+ pro, Stance E+, Explore E+ as well as Shim E8000 and a couple of Bosh bikes.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Update on Speed Fun connectors. I have been talking to SF about this issue and they informed me that the proper connectors are not available until the fall sometimes, apparently it’s the same old story, world wide shortage. So they substituted the originals with these larger ones. They are attempting a modified version for me to try out if they can pull it off. They are certainly trying their best to work with what is currently available.

And as a side note for those of you who have purchased and installed one of these, keep an eye on the bend right at the terminal that it doesn’t break or rub against the cover.

Last edited:

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey Goroncy, how are you liking the tuning setup so far. I am sure it's working fine right? Can you say a bit more about the battery consumption with the chip activated.
I am thinking on ordering one also but am a bit worried that the battery consumption would be much higher. ✌

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hey Goroncy, how are you liking the tuning setup so far. I am sure it's working fine right? Can you say a bit more about the battery consumption with the chip activated.
I am thinking on ordering one also but am a bit worried that the battery consumption would be much higher. ✌

I just did an absolutely ridiculous enduro with the chip "on" all the time. Here it is:

1652682938961.png

1652683020873.png

Don't look at the average speed. The whole trip was really mental. There were moments I had to carry the bike... But on the fire roads when going up I was simply at least twice as fast as I would normally be. I finished with 2% battery but the bike was absolutely usable as an e-bike till the very end. I'm 84kg + the whole gear (around 6kg) + 25kg bike. So the whole setup is 115kg. 1928 vertical meters and 39 kilometers and 3:37 moving time I think gives you an idea what this machine can do. The chip works flawlessly. Cheers.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Look what the courier just dropped off , YES ! Right connectors and all, I can hardly wait 😬
Plus if anyone else is considering ordering from these guys you can use the discount card at the bottom left of the pic and get $£10 off on your order. Pretty sweet 👍
CBC73C77-EFB1-43A9-BA6C-9F28AD7D860A.jpeg

Last edited:

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I just did an absolutely ridiculous enduro with the chip "on" all the time. Here it is:

View attachment 88180
View attachment 88181

Don't look at the average speed. The whole trip was really mental. There were moments I had to carry the bike... But on the fire roads when going up I was simply at least twice as fast as I would normally be. I finished with 2% battery but the bike was absolutely usable as an e-bike till the very end. I'm 84kg + the whole gear (around 6kg) + 25kg bike. So the whole setup is 115kg. 1928 vertical meters and 39 kilometers and 3:37 moving time I think gives you an idea what this machine can do. The chip works flawlessly. Cheers.
Wow that's fantastic ⚡⚡⚡👍 impressive stats.
I am about the same weight all geard up as you. The vertical meters you did are insane, the most I could do was 1750m with the 625Wh...do you have the 750Wh battery?
With the 625Wh I found out that my range falls between:
35km/1400m(300%-400% power),
50km/1550m(175%-250% power),
63km/1750m(75%-150% power).

The last day I did a power session(pushing it to the max):
Forrest access road(asphalt 20%, gravel 80%)
Stats: 26min50s,
10km,
670 vertical,
22,3km/h average speed,
Motor power 300% with occasional 400% bursts,
Battery used 44%
The motor was on fire hot🔥 after that session 🙆‍♂️

I also noticed that the battery pack follows the typical Li-Ion battery discharge graph. It starts droping significantly after reaching about 10% or below so I am usually calculating my consumption/reach considering this fact.

Otherwise the bike is amazing with the handling, only thing I am missing would be a little more adjustability with the motor settings.

Screenshot_20220510-212626_Chrome.jpg

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Wow that's fantastic ⚡⚡⚡👍 impressive stats.
I am about the same weight all geard up as you. The vertical meters you did are insane, the most I could do was 1750m with the 625Wh...do you have the 750Wh battery?
With the 625Wh I found out that my range falls between:
35km/1400m(300%-400% power),
50km/1550m(175%-250% power),
63km/1750m(75%-150% power).

The last day I did a power session(pushing it to the max):
Forrest access road(asphalt 20%, gravel 80%)
Stats: 26min50s,
10km,
670 vertical,
22,3km/h average speed,
Motor power 300% with occasional 400% bursts,
Battery used 44%
The motor was on fire hot🔥 after that session 🙆‍♂️

I also noticed that the battery pack follows the typical Li-Ion battery discharge graph. It starts droping significantly after reaching about 10% or below so I am usually calculating my consumption/reach considering this fact.

Otherwise the bike is amazing with the handling, only thing I am missing would be a little more adjustability with the motor settings.

View attachment 88236

Yep. I've got the "unicorn" nowhere to be seen 750Wh battery 😜. Comes stock with the 0 model.

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
Has anyone taken the bike for service? Is the engine tuning displayed there? I used for the first maintenance, pretty narrow was diacnosis. Giant does not have a very developed program for this.

I have a warranty replacement on my engine later this summer. There is extra noise from the engine. I was wondering if I would dare put in the tuning.

Touser

Apr 17, 2022
Austrralia
I've had mine fitted for about 100 miles now, so far no issues. Easy to install and easy to activate/tune even without a display by using the Ride app on my phone. It's transformed the bike for me. I have a 20 mile loop local to me through wooded trails that is relatively flat but still offers a mixture of fast flowing and technical single track. It was a chore before as I kept hitting the limit, but now I can keep the momentum going and enjoy the bike the way I want to.

The default setting is 32kph, but I found I'd still hit that limit on occasions. You can increase the limit in 1 kph increments so I've settled on 36kph and that's been perfect. There is still that nagging doubt about whether I've done the right thing, as in future warranty issues, but life is too short and there's too much fun to be had so fuck it :)
Love your attitude man

SpeedyJim

Oct 24, 2022
Leicester
Hi All,

Relatively new to the ebike scene but I'm already love/hate with my bike.

I'm riding the following Giant Fathom E+ 2 Pro 29er 25km/h 2022 - E-Bikes | Julie's Cycles

Really struggling with the 25km/h speed restriction and could do with the motor unlocked so I can at least rival speeds I was able to obtain on my standard bike.

Does anyone know for certain what chips are compatible with this Bike? I believe it has the Giant RideControl Dash along with the 80nm yamaha motor.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Happy riding!

Jim

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Just a quick update guys. It's been almost a year since I've been running this chip. I'll just say that. 25 restriction makes NO sense. I use the chip all the time. And not for running hyper speeds. I am more than sure that with 32 kmh restriction I would simply never use this chip. Nevertheless. It works like charm. Only recently the custom combination that turns it on/off reset itself to default (-+-+). Cheers.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Just a quick update guys. It's been almost a year since I've been running this chip. I'll just say that. 25 restriction makes NO sense. I use the chip all the time. And not for running hyper speeds. I am more than sure that with 32 kmh restriction I would simply never use this chip. Nevertheless. It works like charm. Only recently the custom combination that turns it on/off reset itself to default (-+-+). Cheers.
Was actually thinking the other day about reaching out to you...how's it going with it. Great to hear it's working as it should ✌⚡as it's off season here...have to wait to get mine off the shelf into action 👍

Last edited:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Was actually thinking the other day about reaching out to you...how's it going with it. Great to hear it's working as it should ✌⚡as it's off season here...have to wait to get mine off the shelf into action 👍

It's supposed to be off season here too. Instead of skiing I'm riding bikes all the time without any winter break. Mental.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Gotta admit that when I first got an ebike I really wanted to de-restrict it.
The more I rode it, the more I didn't give a sh!t.
32km/h has been just fine here in Canucklehead land.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles