Giant Reign e+ 2022 fork travel increase.

spongebob

Dec 4, 2022
Uk
Just wanted to see if anyone has gone up to 180mm on the fork?
I prefer the way it rides on the low flip chip but clearance is soooo LOW! Tends to get hits on steep rocky trails and techy climbs.
I figured I could put in high setting, fork at 180 would keep the angle similar to low at 170mm right? But with a higher BB.

Fork is due a service soon and thought I'd see if any other owners have done it?

Did it on my previous nukeproof mega and loved it.

Also thinking about shorter cranks for the climbs.

Apologies if there's already posts about this, I couldn't find with a search.

Thanks

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Edit: You will gain 7mm not 3mm.

You will only gain the sag % of the extra 10mm travel, so it will sit 2,5-3mm higher in the front.
Headset with adjustable head angle would probably do way more lift than that.

But it is a logical idea ;) I also prefer the low setting !

Last edited:

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
If you're to gain only 2,5mm of clearance, honestly I would just run shorter cranks!

Get some 155mm or 160mm depending on your frame size.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
If you're to gain only 2,5mm of clearance, honestly I would just run shorter cranks!

Get some 155mm or 160mm depending on your frame size.
Ifdid have 150 cranks, until I bent them, 155-160mm cranks, high setting, and some kind of spacer to push the fork lower sounds like a good plan 🤟😁🫡
If we have 10 people wishing the same setup we can get cnc lathe production of spacers 🥸😎

Last edited:

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I would make sure you have enough air in the fork and rear vs a longer fork. I had major issues with pedal clearance with the chip set to low and after setting the suspension up better it's like a different bike.

Also more travel makes the bike even longer. Do you really want that on a bike thats already super long?

spongebob

Dec 4, 2022
Uk
All good advice guys thanks. I did try to up the pressure before Sag now is 25% front 30% rear, I find harder than that is great on hard pack trails but hideous on rougher and natural trails. Seems to feel right at the pressure its at. Literally the only issue is it's low at times.
Yeah making the bike longer is another thing, it handles great, wouldn't want to mess it up. I think maybe cranks might be the first place to start and see how it goes.👍

Aug 20, 2021
Los Angeles
Just wanted to see if anyone has gone up to 180mm on the fork?
I prefer the way it rides on the low flip chip but clearance is soooo LOW! Tends to get hits on steep rocky trails and techy climbs.
I figured I could put in high setting, fork at 180 would keep the angle similar to low at 170mm right? But with a higher BB.

Fork is due a service soon and thought I'd see if any other owners have done it?

Did it on my previous nukeproof mega and loved it.

Also thinking about shorter cranks for the climbs.

Apologies if there's already posts about this, I couldn't find with a search.

Thanks
I say go for it! ...partly because that's the setup I plan to run with my 2022 Reign E once the 2023 Buttercup Air spring shafts are in stock for the Zeb I put on my E+ 3.

I've got a size Small (160mm cranks) and have had my bike in the 'low' position since I got it. But I finally set it to the 'high' position after many rides with lots of chunky tech and getting too many pedal strikes and slamming my BB a decent amount. I used a digital clinometer on my phone to measure the head tube angle (placed it against the lower fork tube). I got a non-scientific measurement of exactly 63 degrees. That's with it in the high position!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, I'm running a longer stroke coil shock (65mm) with 30% sag (~166mm rear travel), so my BB is slightly lower than stock as it is. I think running the fork at 180mm travel in conjunction with the flip chip in high position might feel pretty good.

If it feels terrible, I can always change it back. Hopefully the updated Rockshox 180mm air springs will be in stock soon so I can do the install and I will report back!

fyi - I run my current 2022 Zeb Ultimate 170mm at 20% sag

Last edited:

Aug 20, 2021
Los Angeles
Also more travel makes the bike even longer. Do you really want that on a bike thats already super long?
According to this bike geo calculator, going from 170 to 180mm fork is going to increase the unladen bike's wheelbase by 4.3mm. Doesn't seem like an undesirable change to me... but I want my Reign E+ to feel as much like a DH bike as I can reasonably get it to.

I entered in the Reign E+ size small geo in high position and added 10mm axle to crown to see geo changes. The resulting numbers are very similar to stock low position, just with a 5mm longer wheelbase and a 13.4mm higher BB.

1674512724813.png

2023 Reign E+ 3 geo for reference:
1674512902920.png

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Ifdid have 150 cranks, until I bent them, 155-160mm cranks, high setting, and some kind of spacer to push the fork lower sounds like a good plan 🤟😁🫡
If we have 10 people wishing the same setup we can get cnc lathe production of spacers 🥸😎
I’m interested. I’m going with a coil this yr and 155 cranks on a medium frame with 2.6 tires front and back. I ran low setting and because of the terrain I run (Lake Tahoe mountains) I did not get a feel for yve low settings.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Lots of steep riding here in the French alps , coil at the back was the way forwards. Ride it in high position on maxiss 2.4 dual ply. Fork was sent to get tunned so it rides a little higher. but still plush.
I kept 170 mm as its already in 63 degree head angle in high position. The coil kept it much higher and still very sensitive.
Its an M size and still have 160mm cranks

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Lots of steep riding here in the French alps , coil at the back was the way forwards. Ride it in high position on maxiss 2.4 dual ply. Fork was sent to get tunned so it rides a little higher. but still plush.
I kept 170 mm as its already in 63 degree head angle in high position. The coil kept it much higher and still very sensitive.
Its an M size and still have 160mm cranks
Are you running a progressive spring? if so what brand? Rock Shox super deluxe ultimate air does not do an aftermarket tuned shock for e bikes so I'm back looking at the coil shock again. My rider weight is 180lbs, I dont purposely do big jumps I ride hard enduro style do you believe the coil would work?

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Are you running a progressive spring? if so what brand? Rock Shox super deluxe ultimate air does not do an aftermarket tuned shock for e bikes so I'm back looking at the coil shock again. My rider weight is 180lbs, I dont purposely do big jumps I ride hard enduro style do you believe the coil would work?
So I weigh 181 lbs, i run a ichu spring 500*2.6 it is not a progressive spring but my shock, fast fenix has hydraulic botom out resistance/ bumb stop, it becomes progressive in the last 15/20% of travel. You also have a knob to play with the mid stroke settings and has a climb lock out. You could look at a bos stoy rare, or an Ext storia. A fox dhx or rs will need a progressive spring. I had a fox X2 which was a disaster then tried a Rs deluxe still wasnt great for the terrain i ride, big enduro technical steep rooty rocky alpine terrain. I'd live in a smoother area, air shock would probably be great.

Thats pretty much the terrain i can ride daily. you'll start on rough rocky terrain go through high grass lands then step rooty forests . Grip for uphill has increased aswell. As for the fork when i had to service it i sent it to a reputable tuner and asked him to do a few mods.to ride a little higher with out loosing too much comfort. you can already try by adding volumes spacers.
I love this frame and motor but i ended upgrading a fair bit.:ROFLMAO:

reign  new.jpg

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
fox X2 which was a disaster
@NicoMTB , was it disaster because of it got broken or you did not like how it worked?
When I got the bike, I swapped directly to DHX2 with 500lbs coil (which gives around 31-32% sag), but I'm struggling to get it dialled. Maybe it is just because I'm not used to how heavy eMTB rides... some how it feels ok in faster speeds, but any slower bike feels like potato.

Last edited:

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
@NicoMTB , was it disaster because of it got broken or you did not like how it worked?
When I got the bike, I swapped directly to DHX2 with 500lbs coil (which gives around 31-32% sag), but I'm struggling to get it dialled. Maybe it is just because I'm not used to how heavy eMTB rides... some how it feels ok in faster speeds, but any slower bike feels like potato.
Hi, so the giant suspension is the ground hugger type and ebikes are heavy indeed. Have you tried adding rebound? do you ride it in the high or low setting? The X2 was a problem for 2 reasons:
- it would tend to blow through its mid stroke then ramp up. so by increasing pressure that was solved but i had less sag less grip and a chattery bike on fast rough stuff , or a bike that would use too much travel when i had the right sag with less air. i tried playing with tokens.
- Air an oil mixed up a seal gave way as many x2 do ,
and that was enough.
I've had X2s on my canyon sender dh bike and mondraker dune enduro bike. when they worked the were great, but the amount of maintenance needed for that shock was silly. it was a bit of a lottery.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Well after a lot of research I've decided to order an MRP Hazzard with a progressive spring. I'll be going over specs with the service manager tomorrow who said the have sold many of these to Giant E bike owners (the Trance as well) He also said if I want a more active feel to add more rebound but he also said it makes the Maestro suspension feel more confidence inspiring right away. I'll let you know in 3 weeks as they hand build each shock.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
Well after a lot of research I've decided to order an MRP Hazzard with a progressive spring. I'll be going over specs with the service manager tomorrow who said the have sold many of these to Giant E bike owners (the Trance as well) He also said if I want a more active feel to add more rebound but he also said it makes the Maestro suspension feel more confidence inspiring right away. I'll let you know in 3 weeks as they hand build each shock.
thats a good piece of kit looking forwards to feed back once its dialled in. I think you ll enjoy it👍

Olionabike

Jul 10, 2022
Lancashire
hi chaps, im actually tempted to ditch the fox 38 i have up front and swap to a Zebb ultimate at 180mm, i just can't seem to get the 38 dialed! The Zebb on my last bike felt absolitly amazing, just not geling well with the fox, anyone have any suggestions? I seem to be blowing through the travel, ive maxxed compression, upped air pressure but kist feels awful. I've also destroyed my X2 and looking to go down the coil shock route.

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca
Hi everyone, I just did my first ride on my new suspension and have an update. First I have a 2022 E Reign +2 with an 800 W battery that Giant replaced after I had an issue with the original 625 W. I paid an extra $280 dollars to upgrade to yve 800. I upgraded the Zeb 170 with 2022 ultimate cartridge, the original Select had a warranty breakdown and when they fixed it they upgraded me for free!
Second after a lot of research I went with the MRP Hazzard Coil w/a progressive spring, my rider wgt is 180-185 lbs full kit and they recommend 400 lb progressive spring w/1 full turn of preload. Warning I found out all the brands have the rebound adjuster on tbe bottom of the shock that is inexcessable and you have to remove the shock to adjust the rebound. Luckily once you get it right you’ll never need to adjust again. Also MRP set it up based on a number of variables and we’re very familiar with the Maestro suspension.
The rear shock was excellent right out of be box sag etc. They did a great job setting me up.
The set up from Rock Shox was really good as well except I ran it at 18% sag not 20 and it felt really predictable on our rocky DH trrrain in the Ca Seirra’s. The shock takes away you ability to have a regular sized water bottle so I put together a tool tube combo there jnstead.
Overall, after 4 hrs of rowdy riding wow! The traction and confidence I felt on big fast berms and steep rocky technical DH was just what I hoped for. I’ll ride it as is for a half dozen rides before changing and settings. Stay tuned.

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
hi chaps, im actually tempted to ditch the fox 38 i have up front and swap to a Zebb ultimate at 180mm, i just can't seem to get the 38 dialed! The Zebb on my last bike felt absolitly amazing, just not geling well with the fox, anyone have any suggestions? I seem to be blowing through the travel, ive maxxed compression, upped air pressure but kist feels awful. I've also destroyed my X2 and looking to go down the coil shock route.
The 38 is tunned particularly soft on the Giant E bike, so it depends on your riding style. And what you actually ride how long. Have you added tokens to ramp it up? other wise speak to a tunner some on who can take your fork apart rebuild the spring and damper, change oil density oil flow ect and set up all the settings based on the terrain you ride and your weight. It will cost you less than buying a fork and you'll have a set up matched to you. The big benefit of the zeb it is much stiffer ( too stiff for some), and easier to service yourself. Give it a go and have a chat with a tunner

Last edited:

Olionabike

Jul 10, 2022
Lancashire
The 38 is tunned particularly soft on the Giant E bike, so it depends on your riding style. And what you actually ride how long. Have you added tokens to ramp it up? other wise speak to a tunner some on who can take your fork apart rebuild the spring and damper, change oil density oil flow ect and set up all the settings based on the terrain you ride and your weight. It will cost you less than buying a fork and you'll have a set up matched to you. The big benefit of the zeb it is much stiffer ( too stiff for some), and easier to service yourself. Give it a go and have a chat with a tunner
I do need to realistically try more tokens first, I'll report back with how I get on, I've always really liked the watch rockshox forks feel so maybe I'm just too comfortable with that and not giving the fox forks enough time

Aug 20, 2021
Los Angeles
I've been running the 180mm Zeb and 65mm stroke Super Deluxe Coil ultimate (~166mm rear travel) for a while now. Works great! To me, the Maestro suspension is plenty progressive for coil, and I'm running a 400# spring (178lb rider w/out gear). The hydraulic bottom out feature helps, but I've only needed to run it on setting 2 or 3 out of 5.

I've got the 180mm fork and the flip chip in high position and am pretty happy with the geo. As expected, it feels similar to stock geo in low position, just rides a bit higher overall. I still get pedal strikes here and there, but it's definitely improved over stock. I am running more sag in the rear with the longer stroke shock, but that shouldn't equate to more than a few mm of bb drop.

I even thought of throwing a RockShox Boxxer dual crown fork on here, but I guess this is hardcore enough for now, lol. I met a Giant rep out at a demo day and he did it with his Reign E+ with Fox 49s. So it's doable... but I think I'll stick with this setup.

1693502908798.png

I will say tho, this bike feels like overkill for more mellow trails that aren't about flat-out speed and mega-chunk. I weighed it at 56.5 pounds on my bathroom scale. Which is why I got a Trance Elite on the way! I plan on giving it the same travel treatment (+10mm on the fork, upstroke shock to 55mm) to make it feel more aggressive trail than its stock geo setup. Man, if Giant comes out with a lightweight, Reign E+ Elite that is dual-crown compatible, it's game over. One Reign to rule them all!

1693502275812.png

Last edited:

Aug 20, 2021
Los Angeles
You will only gain the sag % of the extra 10mm travel, so it will sit 2,5-3mm higher in the front.

Well, you're gaining the sag % of a 180mm over the sag % of a 170mm fork, so you're getting more than 2.5-3mm in the front. But yeah, the amount your BB raises from a 10mm increase in fork height amounts to around 3mm on this bike.

G.M.

Dec 28, 2023
Germany

I´m a bit puzzled by your statement that the gain in height would only be the % of sag. For 10mm more travel it would be 10mm higher minus the % of sag so it sits 7-7,5mm higher in the front. Is my brain stuck? :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles