Giant Reign E+1 2020 Brake issues

mogulman

Dec 7, 2021
Colorado
Hi,

I have a Giant Reign e+ since Aug 2020. Ever since I've got it the XT brakes are noisy. They squeal very loud and judder when I am going down steeps. The bike does seem to stop ok. This happened almost within the first week or so of owning. I brought it to the bike shop that I got it from. They gave me some resin brake pads. No noise at all with Resin pads, but I didn't like the way it was stopping so I put the metal pads back in the rear and left the resin in the front.

Things I've tried:
  • I tried cleaning the pads and rotors multiple times with alcohol
  • I tried sanding the pads down
  • I tried this stuff called Squeal Away.
  • Finally tried replacing the pads with new pads and new rotor in the rear (XT Ice Tech instead of SLX rotor). bedded in.
New pad and rotor in the rear has made it better. The squeal keeps coming back on steep braking,though. I can get it to go away again, if I spend a bunch of time breaking hard at fast speed., but it comes back. The front resin pads don't squeal.

Anyone else experience this on a Giant Reign e+? I'm assuming it's because the bike and me, weigh a lot. I'm a 250lb guy.

Any suggestions?
I think at this point the only options are:
  • Bring it to a bike shop and see if they can tell if the pads are alligned correctly? or anything else could be causing it (messed up piston?)
  • Live with it
  • Go back to Resin pads on the back
  • Get a different brand/model of brakes?

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Hi,

I have a Giant Reign e+ since Aug 2020. Ever since I've got it the XT brakes are noisy. They squeal very loud and judder when I am going down steeps. The bike does seem to stop ok. This happened almost within the first week or so of owning. I brought it to the bike shop that I got it from. They gave me some resin brake pads. No noise at all with Resin pads, but I didn't like the way it was stopping so I put the metal pads back in the rear and left the resin in the front.

Things I've tried:
  • I tried cleaning the pads and rotors multiple times with alcohol
  • I tried sanding the pads down
  • I tried this stuff called Squeal Away.
  • Finally tried replacing the pads with new pads and new rotor in the rear (XT Ice Tech instead of SLX rotor). bedded in.
New pad and rotor in the rear has made it better. The squeal keeps coming back on steep braking,though. I can get it to go away again, if I spend a bunch of time breaking hard at fast speed., but it comes back. The front resin pads don't squeal.

Anyone else experience this on a Giant Reign e+? I'm assuming it's because the bike and me, weigh a lot. I'm a 250lb guy.

Any suggestions?
I think at this point the only options are:
  • Bring it to a bike shop and see if they can tell if the pads are alligned correctly? or anything else could be causing it (messed up piston?)
  • Live with it
  • Go back to Resin pads on the back
  • Get a different brand/model of brakes?
Our two Reigns did the same thing with the stock pads. I went to truckerco on eBay and got some of their pads and had great results. Can’t remember right off but there’s a yellow and a black colored pad and one is resin and one is metallic that they offer. Both did well with no noise, the metallic has more bite though. And we ride in the mountains a lot and fade was not a issue. Here’s a picture of the yellow ones they sell, think they are metallic.

image.jpg

mogulman

Dec 7, 2021
Colorado
Bought some Truckerco Sintered yellow. We'll see. Worried that they don't have the heat fins like the shimanos. Is that a big deal?

Way cheaper than Shimanos.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Bought some Truckerco Sintered yellow. We'll see. Worried that they don't have the heat fins like the shimanos. Is that a big deal?

Way cheaper than Shimanos.
I’ve never had a issue. They seem to hold up well, even at downhill parks.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
of course it's snowing now.. so I probably won't be able to try them for some time :)
Come on out here to NC. It’s going to be 72 tomorrow which is very unusual but I’m not complaining! Any word on 22 Reign availability on the west coast? They say maybe none available here. I saw a large at a shop in CA. but nothing anywhere otherwise.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles