Giant Reign e+0 Smart Assist/Auto stopped working

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
Hi guys, had my bike for almost a year now. The auto function, (which I use 80% of the time) suddenly stopped working last week (seems to be stuck in 'basic' mode). I can still use the bar and main controller to move up and down the power modes, so the bike is still usable . I know lots of people don't like the auto function, but it's worked perfectly for me up to now. Lbs have ordered a new main control unit to try (on back order!) but didn't seem to really know what the issue is.
Anyone else have a similar issue and if so , has it been sorted and what part was replaced? My instinct tells me it's sensor related, but what do I know!

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
My Reign E+2 has just developed the same issue. Other modes are working fine. I'd agree with the sensor theory.

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
The main control unit on the frame was replaced and it all works fine now.
When I removed the old unit before it was replaced, (to see if there was a connection issue), I noticed that the two halves of the unit weren't tight together (looks like the unit is sealed with a silicon like substance and then clipped together) so not sure if it was a water ingress issue. Hope you get yours sorted soon. I really like the auto function, when it works!

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
Thanks for the heads up. A direction to point the dealer to and hopefully save some getting it fixed.

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
My friend is currently having same problem on his 21 Reign… LBS did troubleshoot with laptop and final result was slope sensor not working inside motor. They did warranty claim and now My friend got phone call from LBS service dude, that Giant said they saw some fault code which diminishes warranty.

Friends bike has been stock all this time, LBS guy didn’t neither see anything out of ordinary with that laptop… funny so hear outcome of this later on.

Giant app control gave error on sync drive motor, still other assist modes works like a charm.

Anyone else had problem with slope sensor?

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
As an update on this. My auto function once again has stopped working last week! Despite the new control unit working fine for a few months. I've also noticed it's wiped all my data off the app. Everything has reset to zero😠 My bike is also stock. So any error code that comes up as far as I'm concerned is to do with a fault on the bike/control unit. It's booked in with LBS again to be looked at next week. I'll mention the 'slope' sensor. So frustrating!!😫

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
Update from My friends bike: Auto mode started to work magically without doing anything. LBS dude just said that He left computer connected to the bike and forget it for a while, after few hours bike was fine. Its a mystery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles