Giant Range Extender Pack?

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I see that Giant have made a range extender pack for 2020 bikes with the PW-X2 motors, it fits in the water bottle mount and plugs into the charging port.

Is it possible/does anything aftermarket exist to fit earlier bikes with the PW-X motor? I believe the main 500W downtube battery is unchanged but the charging port on newer bikes has two extra terminals.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
It is entirely possible to fit previous models. As more testing time comes with winter I hope to get a few other brands covered.

Hopefully keeping people on the trails longer.

andico

Oct 9, 2019
Europe
Hi all:) 500Wh is sometimes not enough!
Why not every Giant model has such possibility to extend the Battery pack?????? Why only 2020 models? Why not also 2019? What is the big difference between the models?
Anyway, maybe I dont know, if is there something how to extend the battery capacity, please let me know. Thanks

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Hi all:) 500Wh is sometimes not enough!
Why not every Giant model has such possibility to extend the Battery pack?????? Why only 2020 models? Why not also 2019? What is the big difference between the models?
Anyway, maybe I dont know, if is there something how to extend the battery capacity, please let me know. Thanks
There are so many factors in testing that I can’t really begin?

Fonthy

May 26, 2019
Spain
The Range Extender for Giant 2019 is already sold in Spain throughout Europe, I have a 260wh one from www.kitsemtb.com and it works very well.

IMG_20190409_195738.jpg

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
If I new how that extender was wired in I would buy it from Spain today. Although it’s from China ??, I assume it’s not a ? hazard!

Fonthy

May 26, 2019
Spain
the connection goes out the side of the engine and the connections to the engine are with original Giant connection, there is no need to change cables, in 10 minutes the bike does not matter when it left the factory if necessary

Fonthy

May 26, 2019
Spain
The manufacturing is 100% Spanish, this company manufactures its own batteries with 3,600mah LG lithium cells, the battery boxes are with 3D printing, the electronics may be Chinese, but nothing else is Chinese.

Fonthy

May 26, 2019
Spain
I have this photo that shows where the cable comes from, this bicycle is not mine, it is that of a companion who asked for a blue box.

IMG_20190427_094305.jpg

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Alot of systems use diodes to prevent battery reverse polarity. The principle On paper is ok until you run factory only and the diode heats up to 100 degrees Celsius in roughly a minute during lab tests

Fonthy

May 26, 2019
Spain
This system is of separate batteries, at no time is connected with diodes, the batteries are never in contact and nothing is altered, if there are problems to use the warranty the bicycle returns to its original state in 10 minutes.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
This system is of separate batteries, at no time is connected with diodes, the batteries are never in contact and nothing is altered, if there are problems to use the warranty the bicycle returns to its original state in 10 minutes.
Sounds good compared to some

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
Re invigorating this thread a bit given the extender is becoming available in the UK. Has anybody managed to try one on a Trance ? I struggle with why every model except the Trance and TBH quite disappointed if that remains the case and I end up shelling out £650 for a 625W replacement to get a measly 25% range increase whereas an extender would give a 50% increase for a lot less.

Chrisbell

Jun 16, 2020
East sussex
Just had a look at the extender pack for a trance 1 pro 2020 on the giant website the trance isn't listed as compatible with the 250kw battery pack it's the reign and other models, hopefully they have just forgotten to list the model

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Just had a look at the extender pack for a trance 1 pro 2020 on the giant website the trance isn't listed as compatible with the 250kw battery pack it's the reign and other models, hopefully they have just forgotten to list the model
‘20 Trance certainly won’t accommodate the extender. Not without modding anyway.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I'm really interested in this as I'm off to North Wales end of June and I don't think 500wh battery will be big enough ? Mr trail watts have u managed to make one yet ? Thanks ?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I'm really interested in this as I'm off to North Wales end of June and I don't think 500wh battery will be big enough ? Mr trail watts have u managed to make one yet ? Thanks ?
Sorry currently testing shimano EP8.
hopefully in the future??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles