Giant ebike trance 4 MONTHS waiting for parts

colwolves

Nov 23, 2020
Wolverhampton
Giant trance pro ebike , water ingress battery problems . FOUR MONTHS of waiting for a new battery now. After speaking to local dealerships and bike shops they are well aware of a range of problems with giant ebike s especially water getting to motor and battery . Bike is not fit for “PRO” mtb or even wet wether mtb . New model addresses probs with water and battery lock however this s still not a good bike . Six months of trouble on a year old bike . If you do neeed parts on a giant ebike expect a very long wait and minimal help . See trustpilot reviews of Giants customer service .

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Giant trance pro ebike , water ingress battery problems . FOUR MONTHS of waiting for a new battery now. After speaking to local dealerships and bike shops they are well aware of a range of problems with giant ebike s especially water getting to motor and battery . Bike is not fit for “PRO” mtb or even wet wether mtb . New model addresses probs with water and battery lock however this s still not a good bike . Six months of trouble on a year old bike . If you do neeed parts on a giant ebike expect a very long wait and minimal help . See trustpilot reviews of Giants customer service .
I can surely see how these bikes would be big trouble in a wet climate. We have 2 Reigns and a Trance and don’t ride them when it’s wet here because of the terrain and dirt make up. But when I wash them very carefully the Reigns(but never the Trance)will often times not turn on until I remove the battery and run a fan in front of the bikes for a couple hours and sometimes I have to unplug the connectors and dry the out with compressed air. In my opinion this is ridiculous as any Japanese MX bike can be pressure washed 1000 times and ridden in the mud for years with hardly any issues. I think what will happen is they will figure out these issues and our current bikes will be worth nothing for trade and re sell and the new Ebikes will be awesome but we’ll be stuck.

colwolves

Nov 23, 2020
Wolverhampton
I can surely see how these bikes would be big trouble in a wet climate. We have 2 Reigns and a Trance and don’t ride them when it’s wet here because of the terrain and dirt make up. But when I wash them very carefully the Reigns(but never the Trance)will often times not turn on until I remove the battery and run a fan in front of the bikes for a couple hours and sometimes I have to unplug the connectors and dry the out with compressed air. In my opinion this is ridiculous as any Japanese MX bike can be pressure washed 1000 times and ridden in the mud for years with hardly any issues. I think what will happen is they will figure out these issues and our current bikes will be worth nothing for trade and re sell and the new Ebikes will be awesome but we’ll be stuck.
Depressingly I think you are right some bike shops will try and fix this by shrink wrapping contacts etc I have made minor mods myself . But it is completely shameful Giant know about problems and do not wish to rectify them for owners. May well be my last giant purchase

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
In my opinion this is ridiculous as any Japanese MX bike can be pressure washed 1000 times and ridden in the mud for years with hardly any issues...
I have the same sentiment... it would be really convenient if we could all pressure wash our eBikes. And, I'm looking forward to the day when we can.

Although I have always avoided using pressure washers or water blasters (as advised by my LBS even before eBikes were invented), as this is the number one reason for suspension pivot bearing failure - apparently.

Below is from the Giant-Liv E-Bike User Manual V67 (it's the only manual I could find when I bought my Trance e+Pro - same motor and battery, etc).
Judging by that, I would say that the bike is NOT rated IP65... so even using a garden hose jet attachment for washing is inviting trouble, which is rather lame when compared to a dirt or MX bikes.

But until the whole bike itself (electronics, suspension pivot bearings seals including fork rubber seals) are rated IP65 or higher, it's low pressure water + soft brush and a rag for me. It's a pain and the last thing I want to do after a long ride, but the alternative sucks even more.

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 1.40.16 PM.png

colwolves

Nov 23, 2020
Wolverhampton
I have the same sentiment... it would be really convenient if we could all pressure wash our eBikes. And, I'm looking forward to the day when we can.

Although I have always avoided using pressure washers or water blasters (as advised by my LBS even before eBikes were invented), as this is the number one reason for suspension pivot bearing failure - apparently.

Below is from the Giant-Liv E-Bike User Manual V67 (it's the only manual I could find when I bought my Trance e+Pro - same motor and battery, etc).
Judging by that, I would say that the bike is NOT rated IP65... so even using a garden hose jet attachment for washing is inviting trouble, which is rather lame when compared to a dirt or MX bikes.

But until the whole bike itself (electronics, suspension pivot bearings seals including fork rubber seals) are rated IP65 or higher, it's low pressure water + soft brush and a rag for me. It's a pain and the last thing I want to do after a long ride, but the alternative sucks even more.

View attachment 53220
I never use a pressure washer my problems come from riding through shallow puddles etc design faults are self evident on the bike as water can collect at contacts/ battery area , giant know this as is evident in the drastic redesign on the newest trance models . Friend has just bought one I will let people know how it performs. Thanks for your interest

16vdady

Feb 6, 2021
Ramsgate
I never use a pressure washer my problems come from riding through shallow puddles etc design faults are self evident on the bike as water can collect at contacts/ battery area , giant know this as is evident in the drastic redesign on the newest trance models . Friend has just bought one I will let people know how it performs. Thanks for your interest
Just reading your post with interest. I recently bought a 2020 giant reign. I watched the shop prep the bike for me. They dropped the motor out and grease all electrical connections with a grease they called nyogel.
Anyone else heard of it or the practice?
It makes sense to me and they said it solves all these problems?
Good luck with your problem

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
Just reading your post with interest. I recently bought a 2020 giant reign. I watched the shop prep the bike for me. They dropped the motor out and grease all electrical connections with a grease they called nyogel.
Anyone else heard of it or the practice?
It makes sense to me and they said it solves all these problems?
Good luck with your problem
Yes with my bikes I used Permatex dielectric greese on all the connectors but not from when they were new. On one of our Reigns the main power connector was corroded slightly when I took it apart the first time after about 500 miles. I cleaned it with contacts cleaner and greased it but it will still act up when you wash it gently sometimes. Looks like Nyogel 760G would be the best solution from the company’s description. I’ll try it and report back. My thoughts are that they get water in other places like the back parts of the connectors where the actual wire Insulation is and they condensate in the motor or battery or controller and that’s why they will start working after I run a fan I front of it after a wash. If this is the case they will be near impossible to fix without a redesign from Yamaha, Giant or Panasonic.

Homeyjay

May 12, 2021
Uk
The Trance E +2 was one of the bikes that I was narrowing down to but I’ve read so many people saying that water problems are still there and even some Giant dealers telling me to steer clear and go for something else. Shame, as I really loved the E+2 but I can’t pay that much and have something that unreliable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles