Getting to Morzine

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A shout out ask if anyone has flown to Geneva with their ebike?

I'm planning a Morzine trip next year and the BA website specifically states "non-motorised pedal bicycles" and I'm wondering how strict this is? Obviously, I'll have to remove the battery and just take a range extender (or two) in my hand luggage.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
That reminded me of a brendog story; he was flying back for the USA and monster Kawasaki had given him a trick engine for his mx bike . He just wrapped it in paper , put it in his hand luggage and stored it over his head . Half way home oil stated leaking out and dripped all over the poor chap sat next to him . It caused a right stink 😂
Not sure on the ba rule sorry !

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Doubt they'd bother to unpack them and check for motors before they load them on the plane

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Agreed, but they will x-ray them.

I was once dragged through the bowels of Zagreb airport to unpack my rebreather because the security team scanning oversize luggage didn't have a clue what it was...

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
We are planning a trip there next year in June. Were unsure whether to hire out there if we fly or take the bikes if we drive over in a big van or a few smaller ones.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
4 of us managed to get 5 bikes and kit in a short w base twin cab transporter !
Costs where ; Eurotunnel - £changes every day .
Fuel - 3 1/2 tanks
Tolls - tag thingy £205

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Agreed, but they will x-ray them.

Sorry should have explained in more detail, was pissed.

It depends if it's an airport / regulating body rule that you cannot fly motorized bikes, or a BA rule.

The dudes doing the xraying are trained to enforce the faa (or European equivalent I guess) rules and any local airport policies, they have nfi what batshit stuff individual air lines have got posted on their website this month.

Generally I'm not a fan of flying bikes, it's a pita stripping them and packing them well enough that there's a reasonable chance the airline won't destroy it, unless you buy a mega expensive bike bag.

3DABF24A-B6FD-4C51-B621-B5626266E10F.jpeg

Last time we did morzine, we loaded up the vengabus with 8 bikes and 4 lads, road tripped it and the rest of the lads flew out and met us. Calais to morzine is a pretty easy 8hr drive or split it and stay somewhere halfway down france, I've done morzine in a oner, but it gets long when you add the shitty drive to Dover. Make sure you take something with cruise control and AC. And if it's a rental van, make sure you have the paper work to get it out the country. If you choose to fly, you probably don't need to rent a car, there's regular transfer busses between Geneva and morzine.

2B8E5C4D-8FD9-4EE2-8EB7-6288327CFCEC.jpeg

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Do you need an ebike for Morzine?
Only asking because a couple of mates have just been by car and reconed with all the uplifts they really needed a downhill bike and a bucket full of organic brake pads.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Do you need an ebike for Morzine?
Only asking because a couple of mates have just been by car and reconed with all the uplifts they really needed a downhill bike and a bucket full of organic brake pads.

You 100% don't need an ebike for morzine, but when all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.

A full fat ebike would be pretty unpleasant to lift onto the lifts.

I also don't think you want a DH bike, maybe if you only ride one park it would be ok, or maybe a new v10 that pedals well, but for me the nice thing about PDS is being able to take a lift over the mountain and go ride a different park each day. That would be miserable on a DH bike because the parks have a bunch of uphill joining the lifts

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
We did Morzine earlier this year. Sent 8 ebikes in the van with 2 riders and everyone else flew in. To be honest there was no point taking an ebike. We even booked a ebike guide and you’re still going to put them on a lift. One issue you get is that every down hill track in the area probably has bikes coming down it, there is virtually no signage for UP routes. We had no issues at all with putting them on the lifts and they handled the tracks just fine but it was a lot of unnecessary expense getting them there. Best day is when we hired DH bikes for the day. Next year will be a fly in with an analogue or hire.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Ebikes are fine, and I was able to lift them onto all the lifts no problem, but the lift assistants who take them off aren't too happy about it. They don't say anything, but you can tell they aren't happy given the way they drop the bike down.

But I only have one bike, soooo

I hired a bike for my daughter from Alan Bikes (in high street near to bottom of Super Morzine bubble) with just a days notice. Worth a try if you don't/can't/forget to hire well in advance.