Garmin as a screen

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
soo I set up my Garmin edge 530 as my display, got the rs toolbox working last week. then today I went to ride and the Garmin kept saying "searching" and would not find the bike. I tried turning the bike off and on. Do I have to have my phone with Garmin Connect for it to work? I thought that I only needed it to upload may data to the phone and to strava. Any help would be appreciated

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
It does this sometimes.

I find this to work best:
turn on garmin and press start (autopause enabled)
turn on bike.
it will now find the bike and all is good.

Sometimes it dosent work....just start over.

CORC_Richard

Nov 19, 2021
Kent
Had the same issue, found if I turn the bike on first, then the Garmin, then all is OK. No idea why it is so erratic.

CORC_Richard

Nov 19, 2021
Kent
I also have just bought this mount which works really well for 35mm bars and Garmin 530.

Mount - 1.jpeg
Mount - 2.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No idea why it is so erratic.
Because GARMIN. 😏

Although. Having said that GARMIN's own mtb mount is about the best bar mounted over the stem option for short stems. It fits 35mm and 31.8 and is hinged so a little more adjustable than the one in the pic above.

It places an edge 5/830 directly over your stem instead of placing the device sticking out in front of the stem like the Spesh one.

The ebay/Chinese hinged (L-Edge copy) top cap garmin mounts are another good option to keep the display behind the bars without worry of your knees hitting it.

The mount plastics can be mounted at 90deg so it can be run placing the garmin next to the stem too.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have the 76 projects top tube mount but knock the garmin with my knee so it twists out of the quarter mount when track standing or tabling the bike so ditched the idea.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
DSC_0039.JPG

That's the ebay K-edge copy mounted at 90deg with an edge 830 to give you an idea of how it sits.

Excuse the cluttered bar. But that's the price to pay when commuting 400miles a month through UK winter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles