Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Product Image:
1649024529445.png

Product name: Fumpa miniFumpa
Price paid: $132 USD
Score (out of 10): 3

Review: I thought this little guy could have potential as a CO2 and pump replacement in hip packs where space is at a premium so I picked one up in September 2020 and it's been in my hip pack since.

It's reasonably compact by pump standards and doesn't create the same kind of waste as CO2 cartridges, should work on both road and mountain tires, plus since it pumps air instead of CO2 it should avoid the problem of causing latex to cure. Sounds good, right?

I never had to use it for its intended purpose because (knock on wood), I haven't had any flats since picking it up. However, it has some serious drawbacks:

- The battery isn't user-replaceable. The owner claims the battery is much more robust than typical commercial batteries and offered to replace the battery free of charge if it ever gets to be a problem (you pay shipping to Australia). Fair enough I suppose.

- It's loud as hell and sounds like an angry duck. Very annoying but most compressors are loud.

- The power button is exposed and can be easily activated inadvertently. I've had about 5 occasions in the past year when I have to do an emergency stop and perform the dig-through-the-pack-of-shame as it quacks away.

Considering that these things are incredibly expensive, the lack of protection for the power button is totally inexcusable. I suppose you could scare up an EVA case for it if you search hard enough, but it doesn't come with one and unless you had a custom-fit case it would probably add substantial bulk anyway.

Thumbs down.

1649024529445.png

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Interesting gadget. As an eMTB rider, I feel like a heretic by sticking with the Amish-style pump that resides on my downtube. The only time it's ever failed me was the time my bike cartwheeled down a rock garden and the bracket broke. You get a lot of odd looks from the chicks when you're carrying a bike pump in your pocket.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Thankyou for the review - it's an interesting looking thing, and so small.

I never understood the use of co2 - waste cannisters, when they're empty that's it, expensive etc. I've always carried a small pump - I've had it for about 10 years now. It has cost me nothing to keep using it, nothing to throw away, it never runs out.

I've had a couple of flats that couldn't be plugged and had to insert a tube. It takes literally about 10 mins to pump a tyre up from flat. That would be the only negative but I really don't mind that. Notice the flexible hose - these make it easy not to move the valve on the rim around while you're pumping up - much better than the direct connection type. One end is schrader the other end is presta.

I imagine co2 originated with racing folk, where it would make sense if you're up in the pointy end of rankings.

lezyne pump.jpg

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Quite an expensive gadget...despite its drawbacks, does it actually perform well ?
I haven't had much occasion to use it, but it seems to work well enough. I'd have a reasonably positive impression if there was a proper safety mechanism.

I went for the Fumpa Pump, not mini, as it has an display, also the hose is handy, less risk of damaging the valve core, but I have spares now anyway, but new Fumpa Pump does not come with a hose.

But my experience with customer support, warranty, they contacted the dealer, and made sure I got an replacement, and when usb fell off, they repaired it, and sent some spare seals too.
But the USB port falling off has been solved on newer versions.
I have mine in my Evoc Neo 16l backpack in the tool compartment.
1659197444044.png

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand

I never understood the use of co2 - waste cannisters, when they're empty that's it, expensive etc. I've always carried a small pump - I've had it for about 10 years now. It has cost me nothing to keep using it, nothing to throw away, it never runs out.

I've had a couple of flats that couldn't be plugged and had to insert a tube. It takes literally about 10 mins to pump a tyre up from flat. That would be the only negative but I really don't mind that. Notice the flexible hose - these make it easy not to move the valve on the rim around while you're pumping up - much better than the direct connection type. One end is schrader the other end is presta.

I imagine co2 originated with racing folk, where it would make sense if you're up in the pointy end of rankings.

View attachment 85337
Ive had the same pump as pictured for years. Works fantastic

I don't use tubes and haven't had a flat in 6 years so the minifumpa is kinda expensive IMHO

Last edited:

View attachment 85337
I have the Alloy Drive version, the pictured is for high pressure, so road tyres. It works well. I've not tried Pressure Drive. I've even managed to seat a tyre with it. I did this to see if I could do it. It was of course a work out, but doable. I have some gorilla tape wrapped around it, in case I tear a jacket, or something breaks on the the bike.
Album Album
46579919854_f2148bc8b4_3k[1].jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles