Fuel EXe Fuel EXe Suspension Modifications/Questions

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What are you running. Fitment issues. Travel combinations. Hacks....
160mm fox 36 on the front, standard travel on rear. Works well. Dont feel the need for more travel on the rear, I like how its quite poppy.

Have tried fox 38 170mm on he front,that also worked well, but wasn't a huge benefit over the 160mm fox 36.

Last edited:

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Currently Fox 36 with 160 kit and Float X stroked to 65mm. The extra travel is nice. Upgrades coming? Too early to tell.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Front: Fox 36 Performane Elite at 160 mm travel

Rear: Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe with Sprindex coil at 140 mm travel.

I have only been on one ride with the coil, so can’t really judge it against my previous X2. I don’t think the X2 is all that good. I was unimpressed. So far so good with the coil.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
For those who have the Fox Float X that came on the 9.7. I stumbled on a YT vid where a guy took off the plastic cap where the compression adjuster is on the higher end shocks. I guess you can order the blue detented knob and gain some functionality? Anyone who has any insight?

Oscar74

Jan 15, 2023
Italy
For those who have the Fox Float X that came on the 9.7. I stumbled on a YT vid where a guy took off the plastic cap where the compression adjuster is on the higher end shocks. I guess you can order the blue detented knob and gain some functionality? Anyone who has any insight?
Hi, you'll get LSC adjustment, so an elite-spec Float X.
The Fox conversion kit is 808-17-471-KIT.
It's also available on some online shops. Just copy/paste the code on Google search.

Ciao

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I did it to my shock - relatively straightforward, but fitting the springs and getting them to play ball, whilst fitting the assembly to the shock, now that's a different matter. Have fun!

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
FYI for those stateside. 808-17-471-KIT is available from The Lost Co for $25. Call Mike. They don't have it on the website but he will take the order over the phone.

Super helpful shop. Let you know the results when it gets in.

senergy

Nov 9, 2022
Sydney
FYI for those stateside. 808-17-471-KIT is available from The Lost Co for $25. Call Mike. They don't have it on the website but he will take the order over the phone.

Super helpful shop. Let you know the results when it gets in.
thanks Swingset, I spoke to Mike yesterday, very helpful. Unfortunately he can't ship to Australia and it doesnt sound like Fox AU are as helpful.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
thanks Swingset, I spoke to Mike yesterday, very helpful. Unfortunately he can't ship to Australia and it doesnt sound like Fox AU are as helpful.
As I mentioned previously, if you want a set and are willing to cover all costs, I'd be happy to send some from the UK for you.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Just installed a Fox 38. Swapped the 170 air can for a 160. Initial sensations are really good.

PXL_20230121_011045911.jpg PXL_20230121_011039837.jpg

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Received and installed the LSC knob kit to convert the Float X to a Float X 'Elite'. Couple of observations. The plastic cap can be rotated to four positions in 90 degree increments to change the LSC on the the Performance as is- it is set to full open from the factory. When you pop the cap off you will see the keyed shaft and ball detent. My advice is do the conversion on a tray of some sort as there are a number of very small parts that can get away from you. Grease is your friend holding the springs, detents and balls in place.

The trick is to not push the four detent assemblies into the bores in the shock very far. The balls prevent the cap from going in if you do. Once the blue cap is indexed to the key on the LSC shaft you can push it down against the detents and slowly start pushing the detents in under the lip of the cap. If you apply constant pressure in the LSC knob its pretty easy. Once the cap finds the groove its probably on there forever.

For $30 all in with shipping and tax this was a worthwhile experiment.

PXL_20230123_231958886[1].jpg PXL_20230123_232040971[1].jpg PXL_20230123_232034125[1].jpg PXL_20230124_150232855[1].jpg

ryandoubleu

Jul 3, 2022
USA
Received and installed the LSC knob kit to convert the Float X to a Float X 'Elite'. Couple of observations. The plastic cap can be rotated to four positions in 90 degree increments to change the LSC on the the Performance as is- it is set to full open from the factory. When you pop the cap off you will see the keyed shaft and ball detent. My advice is do the conversion on a tray of some sort as there are a number of very small parts that can get away from you. Grease is your friend holding the springs, detents and balls in place.

The trick is to not push the four detent assemblies into the bores in the shock very far. The balls prevent the cap from going in if you do. Once the blue cap is indexed to the key on the LSC shaft you can push it down against the detents and slowly start pushing the detents in under the lip of the cap. If you apply constant pressure in the LSC knob its pretty easy. Once the cap finds the groove its probably on there forever.

View attachment 105117 View attachment 105118 View attachment 105119 View attachment 105120
Also, 1 ball is smaller than the other 5. A caliper will be needed as it’s not obvious which is the smallest. The 1 small ball is the same as the ball already on the shock so it can be used or discarded.

Betadine

Jan 21, 2023
Toowoon Bay

View attachment 105117 View attachment 105118 View attachment 105119 View attachment 105120

Thanks for the update. Looks like it wasn’t too challenging to install. Have you been able to test and confirm that the adjustment works as expected?

Betadine

Jan 21, 2023
Toowoon Bay

Also wanted to confirm the part number. In the diagram it ends in 470 and not 471. Just confirming that 470 is the part needed.

Cheers

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Interesting- the kit was the -470 as shown on the bag. Not sure how I confused that. Fox has a part drawing

You will end up with a single small ball bearing that is not used. Its already on the shock (shown in first pic above). I pedaled with it full open and full closed last night I it appears that the pedal bob is reduced in the fully closed position. As I get further along I will start in with the middle settings. I am now thinking the stock setting was fully closed as the shock was really static when pedaling. Too much so for my taste.

I broke my rule of only changing one thing at time when I put the 38 fork on. My tiny brain can only process so much at one time.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I read the below on another forum. What do you guys think? For those of you who have done this mod, are you sure you’re getting some adjustability?

So I was lucky enough to run into some folks who run a local Suspension-rebuilding business in Quebec. Well known, highly respected. The Topic of my planned Float X upgrades came up, and how hilariously simple it was to seemingly upgrade a Float X Performance to the Performance Elite...

They were telling me that despite what I might have thought, there is a second part required to turn the Performance Float X into the Performance Elite.

Not only do you need the Dial (FX-808-17-470-KIT, Eyelet Sub Assy: LSC,2022 FLOAT X & DHX), but you also need something called the Base Valve (FX-808-17-475-KIT Base Valve, 2022 FLOAT X & DHX). I was obviously surprised by this because I can see there's plenty of folks who have simply installed the $35 dial and claim to have added the LSC functionality.

So can anyone comment on validity of this? I'm curious if there is actually some truth to the Base Valve, which is $88, needing to be changed as well. They told me they could do it for the cost of the parts during a standard Rebuild of the shock, so I'm definitely considering that...

Thanks!

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I was hoping to have some feedback by now but everything in my area is largely closed from storm damage. I 'think' I feel a difference from one end of the adjustment to the other but that is an extremely hard thing to judge. I will have to stare at those exploded diagrams a bit to see what the interaction is between the base valves.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I was hoping to have some feedback by now but everything in my area is largely closed from storm damage. I 'think' I feel a difference from one end of the adjustment to the other but that is an extremely hard thing to judge. I will have to stare at those exploded diagrams a bit to see what the interaction is between the base valves.
Right on! I’m in Newbury Park. Where about are you located?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles