Fuel EXe Fuel EXe Suspension Modifications/Questions

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Yeah, there is a noticeable difference between the LSC open and closed, with the LSC kit installed. With it closed the suspension feels slightly firmer while pedaling. But, with it open there’s no noticeable pedal bob. With it closed, the rear wheel wanted to hop up off the ground slightly when riding uphill over 4 inch roots. With it open, the suspension soaked the root up and the wheel never left the ground. With it open you can just feel more traction everywhere. My ride today was 19.63 miles and 1,143 feet of elevation gain. With the last mile being an 800 foot climb. I was riding with my friend with an analog bike. So, I never turned my EXe on. I swear my EXe coasted and pedaled better than his 25 pound analog bike. He had to walk up the last hill. I stood and grinded to the top with three gears left. I am super happy with this bike. It’s fun when it’s on. But, I can still ride anything with it off.

Last edited:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Anyone moved to Ohlins stable? I am thinking about putting RFX36 m.2 on front and TTX22 on rear (or ttx2 air). Just wonder if the trik wit 62,5stroke will work in L size 9.5
I got the TTX1 (62.5mm stroke) and I LOVE it. No bottom out issues. As I understand It, you could stuff the TTX2 with spacers and get the same spring curve as the TTX1. On shorter travel bikes like this, I think it’s good to have a progressive, rampy set-up. Too linear and you won’t have any travel on reserve for bigger hits. Less air volume also means less pressure to get the same sag, so it will feel plusher initially without bottoming out frequently. Anyways, I am very happy with the Ohlins.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Looping back to the LSC knob upgrade for the Fox Float X Performance. I bought a Fox Float X Factory to swap back and forth on to see what the differences are. Same air pressures, same .2 volume spacers. It does not take much to tell that there are pretty substantial differences between the two. The LSC adjustment on the Factory makes distinct changes, much like the rebound knob (too slow and too fast) does from one end to other. I believe the Performance needs the base valve upgrade to make the LSC knob work. The Factory just feels much more supple and has better wheel control for me. The surface finish on the Kashima stuff is better and that may be part of the answer. For what they charge for it it had better well be.

The 38 Factory Fork has broken in a bit and its working really good as well. I had no idea I was going to throw this much extra money at this bike but man its working phenomenal right now.
PXL_20230324_162952192[1].jpg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Looping back to the LSC knob upgrade for the Fox Float X Performance. I bought a Fox Float X Factory to swap back and forth on to see what the differences are. Same air pressures, same .2 volume spacers. It does not take much to tell that there are pretty substantial differences between the two. The LSC adjustment on the Factory makes distinct changes, much like the rebound knob (too slow and too fast) does from one end to other. I believe the Performance needs the base valve upgrade to make the LSC knob work. The Factory just feels much more supple and has better wheel control for me. The surface finish on the Kashima stuff is better and that may be part of the answer. For what they charge for it it had better well be.

The 38 Factory Fork has broken in a bit and its working really good as well. I had no idea I was going to throw this much extra money at this bike but man its working phenomenal right now.
View attachment 109999
Ah ok I was actually hoping the lsc would do more. Mine have not arrived yet.
Is it completely pointless to install it or does it make even the slightest difference when you rotate it?

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
The Factory LSC has a range of adjustment that is easily felt. The LSC knob on the Performance does not. Others might argue passionately that it does. Fox says you need a base valve assembly for $90 to complete the mod and and I am tending to think they know of what they speak. For $30 it was worth the try.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Thank you, unfortunately Ohlins calculator doesn’t have EX-e, anyway tf tuned works great
The math is super easy & more reliable than online calculators.
First you need the generalized leverage ratio, which is travel divided by shock stroke. 140mm/60mm=2.33
Then multiply your body weight (in lbs) by leverage ratio for target spring rate (in lbs)
187x2.33=435lbs
I'd get a 450lb spring

You can reverse that formula to see how much extra travel you get by increasing shock stroke. i.e. 62.5mm x 2.33 = 145mm. 65mm x 2.33 = 151mm

None of this takes kinematics or leverage curves into account.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
There is mass sharing with the fork so I would think the total weight x leverage ratio equation would result in a higher number. For instance, at 187lbs TF gets a 400lb spring rate for a 4 bar.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
There is mass sharing with the fork so I would think the total weight x leverage ratio equation would result in a higher number. For instance, at 187lbs TF gets a 400lb spring rate for a 4 bar.
Such a wormhole. I had an Evil Following years ago. Set it to 28% sag and it wasn't feeling good. I ran into Kevin (old Evil CEO dude) on a ride and he talked me through it. The high leverage rate of that bike, combined with your stance on the bike when setting sag (seated vs standing, weight forward or centered etc)- basically discovered I could get roughly the same sag with +/- 10-15psi. The bike rode great with +20psi. Huge range, not even taking riding style into account.

I've had good luck with that formula above over many bikes, though I always round up.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
This is an interesting conversation, I believe for my next bike I'll be tossing up between the EX-E 9.8 and 9.7.

The Lyric on the 9.8 is good but I'm not sure how much better it will be than the Grip 36 on the 9.7. The rear shocks do look a bit closer in terms of spec. I do like Fox suspension (y)
The 9.8 has more improvements than just upgrades on the suspension. Which BTW, the Rock Shox is superior compared to the fox group on the 9.7. The 9.8 also has upgraded transmission, better brakes, better dropper post, and far better wheelset. The wheelset alone is almost worth the extra cost, because the carbon rims come with a 3 year no question crash warranty, whereas the standard alloy wheelset has no crash warranty. Unless you are one of those wanting to upgrade everything to your liking from the get go, the 9.8 is a far better bang for the buck in the long run.

Stuker

Apr 22, 2023
UK
hi All

has anyone put a coil shock on the EXE. If so what did you go for and what is your impression of the bike with it on v the air shock?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
hi All

has anyone put a coil shock on the EXE. If so what did you go for and what is your impression of the bike with it on v the air shock?
I first ran a Float X2. I personally didn't think it was all that great. I switched to a Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe with a Sprindex adjustable coil and like this setup much better. There is a pretty good weight penalty, but I don't notice the penalty with the E bike. The Sprindex is nice in that I can adjust the spring rate in 5 lb increments; so, depending on which backpack, how much water, second battery, type of terrain, etc., I can fine tune the coil for each situation. I vote for coil. If I did it again, I would have likely gone with a 205 x 62.5.

Stuker

Apr 22, 2023
UK
I first ran a Float X2. I personally didn't think it was all that great. I switched to a Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe with a Sprindex adjustable coil and like this setup much better. There is a pretty good weight penalty, but I don't notice the penalty with the E bike. The Sprindex is nice in that I can adjust the spring rate in 5 lb increments; so, depending on which backpack, how much water, second battery, type of terrain, etc., I can fine tune the coil for each situation. I vote for coil. If I did it again, I would have likely gone with a 205 x 62.5.
that Springdex looks pretty cool. First time ive heard of it and initially it just looks like some sort of fancy preload adjust but it's not. How does it actually adjust the spring rate?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
that Springdex looks pretty cool. First time ive heard of it and initially it just looks like some sort of fancy preload adjust but it's not. How does it actually adjust the spring rate?

There is a small grey dial at the bottom of the coil. You merely twist the grey dial. Really easy to fine tune on the trail.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The adjustment is made by moving the "lock" around the last winding, so it locks a bigger or smaller part of it. Supposedly the coil is also slightly progressive in the end, because of this.
I'm pretty satisfied with mine although it's not the lightest option. I don't have it on my fuel exe though. I don't think the frame is progressive enough for a coil. I already bottom out a super deluxe air with HBO and 10 PSI over recommended pressure with max tokens in.

Last edited:

Stuker

Apr 22, 2023
UK
There is a small grey dial at the bottom of the coil. You merely twist the grey dial. Really easy to fine tune on the trail.
thanks ...yes just watched on of the vids linked from their site. So simple and looks like it's really effective too. Do you just go for the a middle spring rate for your weight /bike and then that gives you adjustability up and down the rate with the tool?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
thanks ...yes just watched on of the vids linked from their site. So simple and looks like it's really effective too. Do you just go for the a middle spring rate for your weight /bike and then that gives you adjustability up and down the rate with the tool?

Yes, use their spring rate calculator to find the spring rate from which you fall most in the middle. That gives you more options up or down. Their spring rate calculator worked well and it calculated the correct spring rate for me based on my riding experience.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

If you go with the Super Ultimate Deluxe, make sure to get the one with hydraulic bottom out (HBO). My LBS did not order that for me and I didn't know better. It is my understanding that the one with HBO is really good, close to EXT Storia.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
If you go with the Super Ultimate Deluxe, make sure to get the one with hydraulic bottom out (HBO). My LBS did not order that for me and I didn't know better. It is my understanding that the one with HBO is really good, close to EXT Storia.
I have one with HBO and although it's great it doesn't solve all bottom out issues IMO. But it really is needed on this bike.

Bjeast

Nov 6, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I have a feeling I should know this, but how much travel would 205x62.5 give you?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I don't have it on my fuel exe though. I don't think the frame is progressive enough for a coil. I already bottom out a super deluxe air with HBO and 10 PSI over recommended pressure with max tokens in.
This is why I'm running a smaller volume Ohlins air shock, 62.5mm, and I'm pondering further increasing the volume spacers. With only 146mm I want to stay on the top 1/3rd of the travel as much as possible. A very progressive air shock configuration allows me to run lower pressure to get <30% sag, so it's more supple off the top.

But- I get that it's totally personal preference and comes down to rider style, weight, terrain etc.

On another note- seasonal conditions here are SO GOOD right now! 3 big rides in 4 days- 8500'. Fresh tires and fresh loam, hallelujah!

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
I am not sure, but I think it is about 145 mm. Others on this forum who have installed a 62.5 can probably answer that better.

It is simple math, 60mm stroke gives 140mm of travel, every mm of stroke gives 2,33mm of travel.
62,5 make rear 146mm, 65mm gives you 152mm

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
It is simple math, 60mm stroke gives 140mm of travel, every mm of stroke gives 2,33mm of travel.
62,5 make rear 146mm, 65mm gives you 152mm
Yep except when the progressivity changes throughout the stroke. Then you can have different amount of travel at each end of the stroke per mm.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Yep except when the progressivity changes throughout the stroke. Then you can have different amount of travel at each end of the stroke per mm.

Very linear frame of EX-E, in analog brother EX there is a flip chip to correct progressiveness.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Fuel EXE has 16% progressivity and with an extended stroke, the end stroke is completely linear in the added travel. Leverage ratio at the end of travel is 2.16 so you would add 10.8mm of travel when you extend stroke 5mm. A Cane Creek Valt progressive spring would be a great option for this frame.

1684634098289.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles