Fuel EXe Fuel EXe Suspension Modifications/Questions

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
I've tried both the linear and progressive aircans on the super deluxe ultimate on the fuel exe. In my opinion the linear aircan is too linear for the frame and bottoms out too easily, if you put enough air pressure in it to stop it bottoming out then the small bump sensitivity suffers too much.

If you're upgrading from one of the other deluxe/super deluxe shock that come with the exe from the factory then just take the progressive aircan off that shock and fit it to the super deluxe ultimate, that's what I did when upgraded from the stock deluxe select+ that comes on the 9.5 to a super deluxe ultimate

Thank you for your respond.

Problem in my case is, the old aircan is dead. Thats why i had the idea to Upgrade to a new Shock. But rockshox don’t sell the Shock with the progressive can.

Rockshox pisses me off.

-aircans out of Stock.
-only linear aftermarket Shocks.
-2023+ shocks you can‘t Service the bushing inside the Aircan and Airpiston, wtf where they thinking? (Thats the reason i need a new Shock or a new Shock Body)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Thank you for your respond.

Problem in my case is, the old aircan is dead. Thats why i had the idea to Upgrade to a new Shock. But rockshox don’t sell the Shock with the progressive can.

Rockshox pisses me off.

-aircans out of Stock.
-only linear aftermarket Shocks.
-2023+ shocks you can‘t Service the bushing inside the Aircan and Airpiston, wtf where they thinking? (Thats the reason i need a new Shock or a new Shock Body)
I’ll sell you my 2024 X2 in 205 x 62.5 (increases travel to 146 mm). It has only been ridden 2 times. I am only selling it because I am not good at setting up suspension and wanted something easy to set up, so I installed the Marzocchi Bomber.

$400 if you are interested.

Again, this is the 2024. DO NOT buy a 2023 or earlier, it will be garbage.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I’ll sell you my 2024 X2 in 205 x 62.5 (increases travel to 146 mm). It has only been ridden 2 times. I am only selling it because I am not good at setting up suspension and wanted something easy to set up, so I installed the Marzocchi Bomber.

$400 if you are interested.

Again, this is the 2024. DO NOT buy a 2023 or earlier, it will be garbage.

The X2 is very easy to set up. The recommended settings for the psi used to get 30% sag are very close. The only adjustment I made was to open the LSR adjuster by 2 clicks.

BobMtnBkr

Mar 17, 2022
Williamsburg VA
^ What does this have to do with suspension modifications? 🤷🏼 I'm just putting the info where it is useful. If someone else searching these forums for exe issues and comes across their post, they may see a work around on the same page.

I just swapped the airshaft assembly in the original Lyrik Select+ from 150mm to the 160mm with buttercups but have not had a chance to test it out yet. Supposedly buttercup on the one side is still a decent upgrade, we'll see. Cheap easy try, and the entire air spring side had WAY too much grease anyway, happy to have been in there.
DebonAir+ Upgrade - FS-UPK-DBP-A1 - RockShox

Factory rear still, haven't even put it in steep mino link setting yet. I need to put some miles on what i've got before tossing a shock at it, but loving all the info in here.
Any feedback on this mod? I didn't know you could put a buttercup air spring in a select +. Other than the 10mm increase in travel, could you feel the butter cup?

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany
Thx Folks, but im done with Fox.

I just have purchased a new Aircan.

This is a thight one for Rockshox, disappoint me again and we have to Talk 😡🤬

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The X2 is very easy to set up. The recommended settings for the psi used to get 30% sag are very close. The only adjustment I made was to open the LSR adjuster by 2 clicks.
I may mess with it some more. Stillwell Performance (suspension shop) said the 2024 X2 is the best performing air shock on the market, with the exception of the EXT. I am sure that is a matter of opinion or preference though.

The Marzocchi Bomber is riding REALLY good, so I don’t think, at least for me, that it is worth changing out. It is riding that good. I picked up the Marzocchi for $240 on sale (50% off) I can’t recommend it enough.

The Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork is also on sale for 50% off. A little heavier than its Fox counterpart, but it is a really good fork at a really good price. I already have the Fox Grip 2 and it is performing well, so I will be keeping that.

I know Marzocchi is made by Fox. If anyone is looking for good suspension that is very easy to tune, at an affordable price, Marzocchi would be hard to beat.

Last edited:

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I may mess with it some more. Stillwell Performance (suspension shop) said the 2024 X2 is the best performing air shock on the market, with the exception of the EXT. I am sure that is a matter of opinion or preference though.

The Marzocchi Bomber is riding REALLY good, so I don’t think, at least for me, that it is worth changing out. It is riding that good. I picked up the Marzocchi for $240 on sale (50% off) I can’t recommend it enough.

The Marzocchi Bomber Z1 fork is also on sale for 50% off. A little heavier than its Fox counterpart, but it is a really good fork at a really good price. I already have the Fox Grip 2 and it is performing well, so I will be keeping that.

I know Marzocchi is made by Fox. If anyone is looking for good suspension that is very easy to tune, at an affordable price, Marzocchi would be hard to beat.
I have the Z1 coil kit in my Fox Rhythm 36. With that and the X2 out back, I can’t complain about anything. This setup is 100% better than the stock setup for my 9.7. The amount of speed I can carry is amazing.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

Bomber coil?

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
Greetings everyone

Question for you all please.

I have a regular rs deluxe shock (not super deluxe) on my 9.5. Size large bike.

Question pls

Do you guys know many volume spacers are installed from the factory and how many are maximum that can be installed?

Heavy rider here.. $220 lbs.. Was hoping to keep this.shock

Thank you!

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
My beauty ))

20240229_203058.jpg

jluu

Mar 14, 2024
Vancouver
For anyone that's running the Rockshox SDU with HBO coil shock, did you keep the stock Linear Rebound and L Compression tune? Are you using the RS spring or matched with other springs?

Thinking of getting one over stroked to 62.5mm or 65mm. Riding a size large in high setting with 160mm fork and mullet. Leaning towards 62.5mm for more clearance if I decide to go low and full 29".

Would appreciate anyone's feedback.

For reference, I'm riding BC North Shore trails, mostly Fromme and Seymour. Mix of single blacks and blues. Looking to feel more planted and have small bump compliance. Only been on a few rides with the mullet. It's nice and playful but not as stable as the 29" on rougher and steeper terrain. Never ridden a coil but thinking might add a bit of stability to give the mullet set up more versatile.

Understater

Mar 15, 2024
New Zealand
If anyone has been underwhelmed by the performance on the Fox Float X on the 9.7 it might well be because Fox/Trek specced a really terrible tune on this shock. I have had heaps of problems with my rear shock developing knocking and hissing noises, and I have finally had the problem rectified by a professional tuner. He looked into the specced tune and compared it to other Fox tunes and found it to be incredibly stiff, so the shims may not be able to move quickly enough on smaller and repeated bumps. It can cause cavitation inside the shock.
Talking to the mechanic at the shop where I bought my bike, the owner there was underwhelmed with his Float X and replaced it with a coil. He said he had been told it was specced with a lot of platform to counter pedal bob, and that returning it to a normal tune should improve it considerably.
The solution for me was to to have it rebuilt back to a normal Fox medium tune in both compression and re-bound. You could try this before investing in another shock.
BTW the blue compression adjuster knob does work on this shock without any other mods. My shock has been on a shock dyno several times and my guy confirmed it works.... but just with a very narrow band of effectiveness on the stock tune. It might be a bit wider now... I haven't played with it to find out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles