Fuel EXe Fuel EX-e 9.8XT-Slight pedal/crank skip(?)

NewEnglandTrekRider

Oct 6, 2022
Vermont
We picked up a Fuel EX-e 9.8XT for my wife last week and have already had a number of fabulous rides. However, this evening the bike has developed what I can only describe as a slight skip in the cranks. When the right hand crank is at approximately the 10:00 position there is skip/hesitation and then it reengages. the skip can also be felt in the left pedal but at the opposite position. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so what the issue is?

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
can you grab cranks in your hands and check if there is a play? push one crank down, so it doesn't move,
and try to move up/down the other one

NewEnglandTrekRider

Oct 6, 2022
Vermont
Does not appear to be the cranks. Feels like something internally in the TQ motor. Have moved the cranks to various positions related to the front gear and up and down through the rear set. The ‘skip’ stays in the same place relative to the crank position.

NewEnglandTrekRider

Oct 6, 2022
Vermont
Mystery solved, slightly embarrassing. The bearing in the right pedal is shot and as the transition from the up stroke of the crank to down stroke occurred it torqued the pedal causing the skip. Pedals are ONE UP Components with not a lot of miles so not real impressed and I had the same pedals completely seize a bearing a couple weeks ago. Mine have a good amount of riding but for the cost would have expected more longevity. Good news is rebuilt kits are available and on order. Our local bike shop diagnosed the problem in minutes and set us up with a set of RacFace Chesters on loan until we get the ONEUP's repaired.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Mystery solved, slightly embarrassing. The bearing in the right pedal is shot and as the transition from the up stroke of the crank to down stroke occurred it torqued the pedal causing the skip. Pedals are ONE UP Components with not a lot of miles so not real impressed and I had the same pedals completely seize a bearing a couple weeks ago. Mine have a good amount of riding but for the cost would have expected more longevity. Good news is rebuilt kits are available and on order. Our local bike shop diagnosed the problem in minutes and set us up with a set of RacFace Chesters on loan until we get the ONEUP's repaired.
FYI, From my experience, if you email Oneup directly, they will ship you a new bearing kit under warranty. Just hope you aren't paying for this kit through your LBS?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles