Front Chainring

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
Was on a climb today at Whinlatter and my front chainring exploded into bits, took my chainguide and gear cable with it , chainring was a new renthal one only done four rides and was fitted and supplied by my lbs just wondering if they responsible anyone had any experience of this.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm certain that Renthal will be extremely interested to receive your exploded front ring. I have never heard of this happening before (from any maker) and it must have been a faulty ring. Your LBS should replace the ring without question, but any replacement stock is likely to be from the same manufacturing batch and may have the same problem.

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
I'm certain that Renthal will be extremely interested to receive your exploded front ring. I have never heard of this happening before (from any maker) and it must have been a faulty ring. Your LBS should replace the ring without question, but any replacement stock is likely to be from the same manufacturing batch and may have the same problem.
Yeah I kept all bits to show them I am more concerned with the damage it’s done it’s trashed the side casing and chain guide and scratched the paintwork to bits. Got to agree I’ve never heard of it happening or read about it anywhere see what lbs has to say tomorrow.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What bike? Most of the EMTB's come with Steel chainrings, pressure the Renthal was alloy?

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
What bike? Most of the EMTB's come with Steel chainrings, pressure the Renthal was alloy?
2018 Levo yeah it was alloy they put on tbh I didn’t no they had to be steel just left it at shop they told me it was worn when I had cassette and chain replaced and they put the Renthal one one

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hmmm... steel front rings not alloy. So e-rings are actually a thing! :unsure:

This will still be of interest to Renthal, if only to quote "not for e-bike use" on the ring and so that they can market a whole new range of "e-rings"! :eek:

It looks as though your claim should be with the shop (as EU law requires anyway, it was a hard won right for "the people").

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
Using a Hope chain ring on my Esommet without any issues
Mines done a few rides and some good climbs faultless till yesterday, dropped it off this morning at lbs they have fitted loads with no issues according to mechanic They going to sort it for me hopefully, it’s possible it was a faulty one showed them all the pieces and they both said they have never see anything like it it’s shattered at each bolt fixing the weakest spot I guess.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah I have a Hope alloy ring in mine, so interesting to know where you get too on this

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have had a Renthal Alu chainring with 36t on my Levo for the last month and so far beaten the shit out of it for more than 300 km. It has behaved beautifully and no issues at all - Me personally can push 1200+ watts plus whatever the engine can provide on top so it sees quite a few watts. Only downside is that I can already see wear marks so I guess that there is a good reason for a steel front chain ring.

Karsten

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had a Renthal Alu chainring with 36t on my Levo for the last month and so far beaten the shit out of it for more than 300 km. It has behaved beautifully and no issues at all - Me personally can push 1200+ watts plus whatever the engine can provide on top so it sees quite a few watts. Only downside is that I can already see wear marks so I guess that there is a good reason for a steel front chain ring.

Karsten
Yes but your alloy chain ring is wearing your chain less, which in turn is wearing your cassette less. Are you a winner overall or not? Hmmm :unsure:

Shane’s1000rr

Apr 4, 2018
County Durham
Yes but your alloy chain ring is wearing your chain less, which in turn is wearing your cassette less. Are you a winner overall or not? Hmmm :unsure:
And if it pops like mine did it could cost a fortune to repair, got my fingers crossed they will cover the repair as I didn’t request an alloy one. I wanted like for like Specialized fitted a steel one as standard. Couple of my pals running alloy ones and we all give them plenty graft, it’s all trails and descents Will keep you guys informed on the the outcome I wondered if when they fitted it they over tightened a bolt and hairline cracked it causing a weakness all I can say is what a mess it caused.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles