Frame protection

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
LBS recommended buying gorilla clear tape to protect frame from scratches but not happy with it. Bought the widest 4 inch roll but the edges of the tape are finely serrated and look terrible once they get a little dirt stuck to them which doesn't clean off easily. Also, leaves a lot of sticky residue behind which I was told would not happen. Wondering if anyone can recommend an inexpensive but durable clear tape for frame protection that doesn't leave a lot of residue behind after removal and doesn't have serrated edges. Not going to buy Invisiframe or other expensive product.
Shoul,d point out that if I had bought the black matte-finish carbon frame the dirt at the tape edges would be invisible. Sadly I sprung for the very shiny sparkly white and red frame which shows the dirt ha ha. Always had black frame in the past. Argh, shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
It depends on what you really want or consider protection.

As I have a bad habit of rubbing my heels on the chainstays I prefer to use something a little thicker than many do and use Scuff Stuff from my local motorcycle shop.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
My bike has a Matt finish, so I bought a matt foil used in the automotive industry and painstakingly cut out lots of pieces to cover almost my entire frame. It was definitely worth it, as after over 1000km it still looks mint.
Have you checked with invisiframe if there is a kit for your particular bike?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been using biketape from BikeTart.com for years. It's that popular that they keep going out of stock, but whenever I've bought something else I've regretted it. I get the 75mm wide stuff as it is easier to handle.

Arcadyus

May 19, 2020
WA
Did you use the wet or dry application method? Gorilla Tape works great if you apply it right. You can also use racers tape, or 3M auto tape. Then there are a bunch of companies like invisframe that pre cut everything for you. Applied right and no dirt with ever get on the edges of the tape. My guess is you didn’t use the soapy water method with a squeegee and hair dryer...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles