• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Frame Protection/Helicopter Tape

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Does anyone have any links to any they've used and would recommend please?

After years of being on EMTB Forums I finally got around to getting myself a new bike and it's not even an EMTB. Picked myself up a Polygon Siskiu T8 for a good deal.
I want to get some frame protection tape on it and would love to see what you all use and approve of.

Ridewrap.com do a full coverage kit for it but at £110, but I'm unsure about paying that much given that due to the frame having raised details on the top tube and down tube, I expect air bubbles would likely be a problem, which is why I'm looking for tape suggestions first. See pics below

Thanks all

polygonthumb.jpg

Polygon-Siskiu-4-1200x802.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
This is just an idea, I've never done an entire bike.

My bike ended up with some unsightly scuffing on the left chainstay. Polishing helped, but it still didn't look good. So I tried "wrapping it." You know, "wrap," like the stuff that goes on cars.

I didn't know anything about it, but a friend who is in the automotive business suggested I could watch a YouTube video and get the material from Amazon. So I did. The bike is gray with black trim, so I got a sheet of carbon fiber patterned material. The cost was $7.50.

The "wrap" was interesting to apply. It's not as difficult as I had imagined. My work turned out really nice. You wouldn't know that it didn't come that way from the factory. The simplicity and cost got me thinking that it would be entirely feasible to do an entire bike.

If I was to tackle such a job, I'd visit a local wrap guy. They surely have a lot of scraps that would be big enough for bike parts. A pro might even be able to give some advice.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm using BYK Armour tape bought off eBay. Great stuff! They have a wide variety of widths, but over the years I have come to prefer the 50mm width. Wide enough to cover most jobs, but narrow enough to be manageable.

If you have never applied bike tape (other than small bits) it can be tricky until you get the hang of it. I have a written guide to applying bike tape, formed from the experiences of me and four or so other contributors over the years. If you want a free copy, send me a message with your email address and I'll email you a copy. For messages, click on the envelope at the top of the page.

Last edited:

Adam

Nov 20, 2018
Plymouth, UK
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Steve, that BYK tape looks the perfect alternative if I decide not to buy the ride wrap kit. Thank you. I'll probably buy some regardless to put on my old cherished 26 inch bike or just to have some in stock for an occasion it's needed.

I'll definitely hit you up for the guide it'll be be a big help. Thanks

One question though, any idea roughly how many metres it usually takes to cover a frame, or the vital areas at least.

Thanks again guys
Adam

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never needed more then 2m, but then I don't cover the whole bike. I do the key places first, front of downtube etc, then take it from there. Don't rush it or you will end up cutting a piece that is the mirror image of what you actually want!

Things like scissors, craft knife, cutting board, pencil, damp cloth and a hairdryer are all essential items.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles