Review Fox Dropframe Pro

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Good day all, haven't seen a review on these even though I see quite a few people own one.

Size XL - 59cm head
Price - $132 NZD, £68, $81USD (Got a 2022 model on EOL special)
Rating - below

Now I primarily purchased this for 2 reasons. 1. An autumn/winter trail/enduro helmet (I already own a Full face Rampage Pro carbon and Giro half lid) and my other main point of purchase was to cut out wind noise on my airpods whilst cycling.

The helmet comes with two full sets of removable/washable pads (thin and thick) and the usual documentation. It has a magnetic fidlock buckle and fits great. Ive ridden for 100km with it on now and am VERY happy with it. Its far lighter than it looks and provides great coverage. I rode in 22c/71f temps this weekend and it was no hotter than my half lid.

The sides wrapping around your ears gives you that further feeling of safety you feel in a full face. My sunglasses and prescription glasses fitted fine with the helmet on. The best news for me was with airpods it cuts wind noise down A LOT. I'd estimate between 70-80% reduction in wind noise which is brilliant. This comes about because the padding and outside of the helmet sit directly in front of the ears.

My one downside after the second ride was the small yellow MIPS plastic button was pushing on my head, thankfully you can move & fasten the internal padding over the button. Problem solved.

Here is the main blurb from Fox on the Dropframe Pro

The Dropframe Pro Helmet redefines what an open-face MTB helmet can be. Superlight and extremely comfortable, it's the choice for trail riders seeking more coverage, more confidence, and more fun. This game-changing open-faced enduro helmet features MIPS™, our dual-density Varizorb™ EPS liner, and increased coverage for the ears, jaw, and back of the head. This MTB helmet provides the most complete coverage we offer in an open-face helmet.

I'd rate it 9/10

DFP1.JPG DFP2.JPG

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I have the dropframe pro for my regular riding, and the full face for more scary stuff

I bought the dropframe after having a big off at Leeds bike park last year wearing a regular helmet and I smashed my cheek bone and tore my ear
I liked the idea of having a bit of extra ear/side protection that the dropframe gives you

I love mine, really comfy, as you said cuts out a bit of wind noise, and offers a nice bit of extra protection.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles