• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Fox Dhx2 vs öhlins TTX22m.2

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Hey!

Have started to think a bit about coil and it is between dhx2 and TTX22m.2.

Fox *
have read that the dhx2 should feel a bit harsh and is a bit difficult to get the settings right.
At the same time, if you check e.g. EWS and world cup, most of them use dphx2 over öhlins.

Öhlins*
received very good reviews if you read, but at the same time is much more expensive and not many people seem to use öhlins.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
My .02 cents
ohlins uses dampening over spring resistance for suspension smoothness where fox uses more spring over dampening (Ohlins,ext,Push are all dampening over spring) Meaning you’ll run a lighter spring if you run ohlins vs fox if it’s tuned for bike and weight from factory. The ohlins deadens the trail which is good where fox is more lively which is also the other side of good.

also with what the pros run they all have completely custom tunes and it’s a corporate money game controlling things.

In my experience running fox/RS fork you’ll usually want fox/RS rear shock too to balance bike out Also From my experience tho a poppy front and dampening rear is a better balanced set up IF you are not bottoming out the back end And are not ALL about pop and big air free ride. So if your bike has the progression for a spring and you don’t want an overly poppy back end ohlins would be my choice if it’s set up for your bike. If you have an ohlins fork then go ohlins.

I have a spare 225/75 and 250/75 DHx2 you can borrow to see if you like it over whatever you’re running now. if bike is made for air then forsure I wouldn’t select coil.

I have a 36 Float Factory GRIP2 fork so probably as you say a dpx2 would be best to get a balanced bike.

I think a dpx2 suits me better as you don't want a damping that kills the trail and makes everything feel like riding on a dirt road.

thanks for the offer to borrow one and test, I have 230 x 62.5 metric size so i dont think no one fits. I have seen many people on pinkbike that have fit coil on same bike.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Pros and cons to everything. The shocks that prioritize dampening and running lighter springs do have better small bump compliance but usually big air guys hate them until they just over spring them and open up the dampening effectively making it more like a fox/RS. For jumps on my V10 with EXT I run a 600lb spring. For smooth as butter DH I run 475 and with the fox DPX2 I run 550 lbs that’s ok on everything But not better than the EXT. I know when dudes that ride fox go to ohlins they hated them until they understood how to tune them or over spring them. So in that aspect you kind of get to play with both sides of a shocks spectrum with the ohlins.

i will probably buy an sls light spring directly , but it will only be to keep the weight down a bit and not feel the little bump resisting.
I have checked on tftuneds spring calc so i know a little bit what spring i probably need.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Ehh. I’ve played with that and it’s always lead me to buy at least 2-3 more springs. Idk man. Do you know your bikes progression numbers? If it’s below 30% you will have to over spring it. If it’s more, then for a fox I’d add at least 25lbs. but I may ride different than you.

will probably buy several different springs in different hardnesses to test my way around and see which one I like best.

so you recommend buying a spring that is a little harder than what tftuned recommends ?.
I honestly have no idea which progression number one I have.

i ride mostly enduro and bikepark.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
if your bike is made for airshock you’ll NEED to go harder which negates the benefits of a coil.

For me I’ve always needed to go to a harder spring. My passion is big air and no mtb Bike rides slope style jumps with enduro settings. With push shock I had to go up 75lbs and still bottom hard. With ext I had to go up 75lbs too. With a fox to RS only about up 25-50 lbs. but forsure with fox/RS I can’t go down.

I was able to do this on the super soft 475 spring which is awesome. But I need the 600 for the big air stuff.

so I think as I get better I can go down in spring a little.

but if you watch this you see I’m shit

okay we seem to like riding completely different things, but I hear what you're saying and will think about it

nice jumping mate, if i look at your gopro video it seems that the front dips a bit in the jumps.
Maybe it has to do with you running a spring that is too soft?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles