Fox Damper upgrade 52,5mm to 55mm YES/NO?

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Hello, anybody can tell me, that change rear damper from factory Float DPS 185x52,5 to DPX2 185x55 will affect any big problems ? My bike is Giant Trance E+2 Pro 2019... ?

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
It will work with no issues. I’ve done it on our 2019 Trance. Only thing that you will notice is the valving on a MTB spec shock is considerably softer than one valved for a eMTB.

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
1612319451497.jpeg

Here’s a 185x55 installed.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
I'm going to do the 52.5 to 55 mod but I'm removing the internal spacer on the shock. From what I read (and calculated), it's a 6.5mm gain on travel (seems insignificant, but I guess every mm counts).

Also going to bump front travel from 160 to 170mm.

I should have gotten a Reign... lol!

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
So I did this (used the same shock and removed 2.5mm aluminum spacer), and I did not even remove the shock from the mounts. Here's the procedure if you want to perform it (applies to Fox shocks only):
1) release air from your shock (make sure you check psi prior so you can use it for baseline)
2) while supporting the rear wheel/swingarm, unthread the air can.
3) On our bikes, the aluminum spacer will be above the big thin washer (which is held in place with a rubber o-ring). After taping off all the critical areas, I used a heavy-duty snip to break the spacer (make sure you make two cuts 180 deg from each other).
4) Slide thin washer back in place (tucked up to the volume reducer)
5) thread air can in
6) pump air.

Viola! 147mm of travel!

I did a test run (broke a lot of PRs btw)... I can't honestly tell the difference. LOL

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
So ... I changed dps to dpx2 with extra 2,5mm travel. Test ride in next fiew days, after full bike rebuild (new Fox 36 Performance, and mullet DT H1700 wheelset and SLX brakes).

View attachment 54513

View attachment 54514
I just bought the DPX2 shock and can't wait to see the difference vs the regular DPS shock. Hoping to get more small bump compliance from it. Your rig looks great!

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
So ... I changed dps to dpx2 with extra 2,5mm travel. Test ride in next fiew days, after full bike rebuild (new Fox 36 Performance, and mullet DT H1700 wheelset and SLX brakes).
Have you tested yours yet? I installed my DPX2 and the rebound tune feels pretty light even at fully closed... not sure if it's just valved so it still feels relatively open at low speed. The DPS feels considerably slower (rebound).

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Have you tested yours yet? I installed my DPX2 and the rebound tune feels pretty light even at fully closed... not sure if it's just valved so it still feels relatively open at low speed. The DPS feels considerably slower (rebound).
Not yet pal. I did not have enough time to finish my bike upgrade... and done it yesterday.... so maybe I the next fiew days I'll tell You more.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
DPS to DPX2 is just a cooling ability upgrade. My DPS after a couple runs would just start to feel like a spring. Only thing that will get the shock to feel different other than handling heat would be different tune and different amount of air spacers.
Yeah You're right... guy who selling me dpx2 told the same, that heat management for DPX2 will be far more better on longer trips. About tune, I have some tokens for front 36 and rear and after a couple of rides I will find, that need to be change or not.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
Welp, I've done two rides on the DPX2 (base Performance... no LSC). The parking lot test suggested that the rebound tune was pretty light... I could still see one oscillation even after I had the rebound adjuster at fully closed. This was a bit concerning because my worst fear is getting bucked off on a jump. Anyway, I finally put it through the paces (to me anyway) today and was pretty impressed with the difference. After hitting some moderate sized jumps, I ended up having the rebound 4 clicks from fully closed (the shock itself has 175 psi of pressure and one 0.6 inch spacer). The back felt really composed and predictable.

I then took it to some chunky and then some fast chattery sections and the shock did a great job smoothing out the trail. In fact, the front end felt a bit harsher than the back for the first time (Lyrik Ultimate). The intial break-away of this shock (from full extension) felt really smooth and stiction free. I know you guys say that only the damper circuit is different (more oil volume) between the DPS and DPX2 but this shock is acting like it's got more negative spring force. Really plush and supple in the first half of travel, but it ramps up reasonably well to the end of travel (no spiking that I can feel anyway).

Anyway, I'm a fan. I didn't think this bike can be as composed at DH-bike level speeds but it has been just as fast. Can't wait to hear other people's experience. =)

Last edited:

Roughneck06

Oct 30, 2022
NB, Canada
yep, but I used a DVO coil with a much smaller reservoir.......longer res like on a marzocchi bomber will interfere in full compression
Thanks for the reply. So you're saying it was interfering (see attached) on the revervoir and not the rear wheel in the seat tube?

Also which DVO did you used, Jade or Jade X?

Screenshot_20221101_231217.jpg

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Yes exactly...not sure what reservoirs will fit but the longer one I tried on the Bomber definitely interfered. Also frame sizes might come into play......mine was a small....and extra large might clear??

I used the Jade X Coil.....you could also use the new Topaz with the horizontal reservoir.

Last edited:

Roughneck06

Oct 30, 2022
NB, Canada
Yes exactly...not sure what reservoirs will fit but the longer one I tried on the Bomber definitely interfered. Also frame sizes might come into play......mine was a small....and extra large might clear??

I used the Jade X Coil.....you could also use the new Topaz with the horizontal reservoir.
Do you just fully remove the air to check interference?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles