Fox 38 GRIP2 compression settings not working?

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Hey There,

Can anyone confirm that compression settings on the GRIP2 damper actually do anything?

I have a Fox 38 Factory 2021 and I don't feel any difference between fully open low and high speed compression and fully closed low and high speed compression. My LBS told me, that there is a slight difference (again, I can't feel it) and that this is normal for GRIP2. I find it pretty odd, especially because (high speed?) compression has 16 clicks which are pretty useless.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Hey There,

Can anyone confirm that compression settings on the GRIP2 damper actually do anything?

I have a Fox 38 Factory 2021 and I don't feel any difference between fully open low and high speed compression and fully closed low and high speed compression. My LBS told me, that there is a slight difference (again, I can't feel it) and that this is normal for GRIP2. I find it pretty odd, especially because (high speed?) compression has 16 clicks which are pretty useless.
You could let all the air out of the fork and see if you can feel it working, or .... Pull the damper out of the fork and operate it by hand.. You will be able to feel it working or not working. Just my .02

Last edited:

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Mine for sure works. Close everything and bounce up and down and open everything and bounce. If there’s really no difference then something needs returned. - the bike shop didn’t actually say that. They said ‘shut up and go away’

Thanks for the confirmation!

The shop is actually owned by a friend and he honestly thought that the difference might be very small. My other friend has a GRIP2, too, and he also confirmed that it works on his fork. Anyways, the fork has been sent back to the Fox dealer and I hope that they'll fix it.

Emti

Mar 10, 2023
france
Thanks for the confirmation!

The shop is actually owned by a friend and he honestly thought that the difference might be very small. My other friend has a GRIP2, too, and he also confirmed that it works on his fork. Anyways, the fork has been sent back to the Fox dealer and I hope that they'll fix it.
Hello,

Sorry to dig this up, was wondering what happened to your fork after sending it back ? I noticed that I have exactly the same "problem" or feeling. On a brand new (2023) FOX 38 GRIP 2, for both HSC and LSC, whether its fully closed or fully open dont notice a damn difference. Did it change anything when you got it back ?

Thank you

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
The dealer said that everything was working as it should (I think they rebuilt the fork, too). I stopped playing with compression settings. I used recommended settings for my PSI and stopped caring about it :).

My other friend has a GRIP2, too, and he also confirmed that it works on his fork.

I later tried my fiend's fork too, and couldn't feel much difference between different compression settings on his fork either.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles