Review Forcefield Pro Shirt XV

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
FFshirtfront.jpg

Product name: Forcefield Pro Shirt XV
Price paid: £120 (RRP £220 - see bottom for link)
Score (out of 10) Protection : 8 - Light weight and Very effective armour panels.
Score (out of 10) Fit/General : 5 - The main fabric is too stretchy so the shoulder and elbow pads can move around too much. Elbow guards are ultimately too large in the size "S" - unless you have popeye arms, they rattle around like buckets.

Review:
Whilst the TLD7855 offers the best armour coverage area in a usable/wearable format, the Forcefield Pro Shirt XV offers the highest levels of armour protection for Back/Chest/Shoulders/Elbows in a usable/wearable format.

The back :

FFshirtrear.jpg

Forcefield is well renowned for it's motorcycle protective garments, mainly for their effectiveness.

I almost bought this months ago, but wanted to find the magical armour which provided the same coverage as a 7855 but at a higher level - it doesn't exist as you'd get too hot and it would be too heavy.

I've come full circle and finally bought the Pro Shirt XV2 to try out .

The top is available in various formats. With and without chest protection. CE1 and CE2 versions and a new "AIR" version which uses a mesh fabric throughout rather than the standard "BeCool" fabric - which is meshed in selected areas, such as under the arms, over all the armour sections, down the sides of the torso.

Unfortunately, my heat test window of 32-36c, I was trying to consistently heat test in, has gone so I can't test it in the same way. I've tried it as is, and it was freezing ! (so it definitely lets the air through). Other test rides I've been wearing a shirt over the top and it's never felt too warm.

The XV2 is unusual as it comes with CE2 back, chest, shoulders and elbows. Most CE2 back armour shirts only have CE1 everywhere else to keep the weight down. The CE2 chest is the same construction as the CE2 back. Chest and limb armour is tested to a lower level than back armour (half), so in terms of protection the chest would be the equivalent of CE4 if it existed.

I don't normally talk about the specific protection levels from the CE tests, but as this is top in the protection league, it's worth mentioning.

The shoulder and elbow armour are rated at 10.6kn transmitted force - the lower the better. Most CE2 limb armour is rated at about 14kn.

The back and chest are rated at 6kn. CE2 is 9kn or better. CE1 is 18kn. The forcefield armour is pretty effective !

It passes all the tests in Ambient, Wet, Hot & Cold conditions.

So, the shirt. The fabric is called "BeCool". It very light weight and VERY stretchy. Some areas are perforated further into a mesh.

FFmesh.jpg

Fit wise, I'm generally a medium in most armours and slip into large for a few brands. For the Pro shirt I was at the top of small and bottom of medium so went small. If anything it's slightly too large, though only because I'm used to the tighter fitting from the other armours. The arm length is very generous (with thumb holes), I normally find arms slightly short. Personally, I'd have preferred the arms to be a slightly tighter fit, though everything seems to stay in place when you're riding, I'm not sure they'd stay in place when you crash. Again, it's not as tight fitting as others.

The Zip seems reasonable quality. Not as top end as the Racer Motion 2, but better than most of the others.

On overall design and fit, the Racer Motion 2 is easily the winner out of everything I've tried. The Forcefield is weirdly comfortable, but it doesn't feel like a second skin like the Racer Motion 2 top. I'll certainly be crash testing it over the next few weeks, so I'll know more then on how feels when abused.

Comfort. The armour slowly heat moulds to your body. The limb armour is different to the body armour and seems to take longer to mould. This improves with each wearing. The Elbow guards initially felt very rattly on my skinny elbows, but then started for form up. I hoped this process would continue, but they never settled into a shape which sat perfectly round my elbow and forearm. The back and chest feel like they "float" slightly above your skin. I can't completely explain this, it just doesn't feel quite as stuck to you as the other armours do even though it completely moulds to the shape of your body.

The main armour is reasonably well vented. I have heard that if you freeze it, you can drill more air holes for additional ventilation, as long as you maintain 25mm of armour between any perforations to maintain structural integrity/effectiveness. I've not tried this yet !

The stitching is strong and where the stitch pattern is raised, this is on the outside of the garment, not the inside, so it's not abrasive (you should try this alpinestars).

It's armour, so it has some bulk compared to no armour ! The chest especially. Strangely, once you have it on, you don't actually notice it, I think because it's so light. If you don't want anyone to know you have armour on, the CE2 version of this is probably not for you, especially if you're small built - it puts 15kg's on your look. If you're larger, it would proportionally blend in more.

Riding, it generally seems to all stay in place and doesn't feel at all restrictive. It's light weight which is nice. Ultimately, for me, the elbows don't form up/heat shape well enough, so whilst they're cooler not sitting against the skin, it's questionable if they'd stay in place in a crash. Similarly, because the fabric has so much give, there's a chance the shoulders might not stay around your deltoids in a crash and could leave you exposed.

Weight wise, remember this is a full CE2 armour shirt and it weighs in at 1250g - the same as a Leatt Airfit Light !

For comparisons:
A 7855 is 700g. A 7855 with upgraded shoulders is 860g.
The Racer Motion 2 with D3O CE1 back,shoulders & elbows is 1050g
The Leatt Airfit light with CE1 back,shoulders,elbows & Chest is 1250g

The armour :

On the left are D3O CE1 shoulder and Elbow guards. On the right Forcefield CE2 shoulder and elbow guards.

FFbits.jpg

The Forcefield pieces are heavier.

CE1 D3O Elbow 45g , Shoulder 89g
CE2 FF Elbow 113g, Shoulder 105g

On the left a Medium D30 CE1 BP4 back protector. On the right a Small CE2 Forcefield back protector. The small Forcefield gives more coverage than the Medium D3O BP4 - though the D3O BP4 does give good back coverage compared to most other reactive armours.

ffbackout.jpg

And the inside views :

ffbackin.jpg

The Forcefield armour is also lighter. The D3O is 333g , the Forcefield 324g !

The chest protector : Just after a ride, so you can see it's still slightly curved and hasn't settled fully flat yet - if you leave it hanging up, it maintains the shape from wearing it.

FFchestout.jpg

FFchestin.jpg

Armour thickness : As mentioned it's not skinny. The Forcefield chest and back armour is about 22m thick. CE1 D3O is 16mm and CE2 D3O is also about 22mm. I don't have the CE1 Forcefield armour, but I'd guess it's similar thickness to the CE1 D3O.

The Forcefield armour is made up of 4 layers, presumably you could peel a layer off if you felt it was too thick - at the expense of some protection.

Overall, protection is good, incredible even for the weight of the shirt. It's comfortable, if a little looser than I'm used to, but does leave concerns that the limb armour isn't really held in place effectively enough - certainly on me in a size small. One advantage is that it's the easiest to put on and take off and you don't have to spend long stretching things about to make sure everything's lined up up correctly as you do with the tighter fitting shirts.

Sizing :

Forcefield sizing.png

More sizing and in CM's from the website :

Prices seem to vary, especially for the none air version, it's possible this is being phased out for the "Air" version. I found the CE2 at sportsbike shop with about 45% off !

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
At the moment, I have to admit, even with the limited chest armour and my love of crashing..... I'm really liking the motion 2.

I really like my 7855 too, but I hate that it nipple chaffes so you have to wear a top underneath and it concerns me it doesn't have a single piece back protector.

I need more time in the Forcefield. It's really comfortable, light weight, has spectacular protection, doesn't seem too hot... Seems to stay perfectly in place, but for some reason I want it to feel more "compressiony” ... The ”Air” version might be a tighter fit. I've read other reviews of people supposedly the same size as me who said they had to squeeze in and it stretched to its limits to accommodate them .. I can only guess they were barrel shaped with no legs. ??

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
At the moment, I have to admit, even with the limited chest armour and my love of crashing..... I'm really liking the motion 2.

I really like my 7855 too, but I hate that it nipple chaffes so you have to wear a top underneath and it concerns me it doesn't have a single piece back protector.

I need more time in the Forcefield. It's really comfortable, light weight, has spectacular protection, doesn't seem too hot... Seems to stay perfectly in place, but for some reason I want it to feel more "compressiony” ... The ”Air” version might be a tighter fit. I've read other reviews of people supposedly the same size as me who said they had to squeeze in and it stretched to its limits to accommodate them .. I can only guess they were barrel shaped with no legs. ??

the racer motion, my chest is 100cm but it says large is 97cm, will that be okay for me to get a large?

£179....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

£119 though.....try before buy options too, this is a tough one, I might order this and the motion/Leatt from amazon to try

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
damn, is there any piece of protection that you dont own now :D
Actually, there is one .. well, two by the same brand. One CE1 and one CE2 .. I wanted to buy them both to test, but on the French site it was about €550, the uk site was considerably less but wouldn't ship to France... and I've kind of hit by body armour limit .. I'd like to buy the forcefield air to try .. but if I do, I think I'll wait until next summer.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Actually, there is one .. well, two by the same brand. One CE1 and one CE2 .. I wanted to buy them both to test, but on the French site it was about €550, the uk site was considerably less but wouldn't ship to France... and I've kind of hit by body armour limit .. I'd like to buy the forcefield air to try .. but if I do, I think I'll wait until next summer.
Can’t see the air one....hmmm I’m a 40 but small goes up to 39, what you think?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Can’t see the air one....hmmm I’m a 40 but small goes up to 39, what you think?

Forcefield FF3036 Pro Motorbike Motorcycle Protective Clothing Shirt X-V 2 with L2 Throughout Short Sleeve Blue/Yellow X-Large
by T G OUTLET
Learn more:
CE2 here for £197...same as the other on discount so cracking price mate cheers!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
For the forcefield ??

I think the racer they only do two versions .. the motion - d3O and the mountain ? or something - with the cheaper less well vented SAS-TEC armour.

Yeah the Forcefield......for that price point I had to order and give it a shot! Not sure what to make of these being more for motorcycles though but will see, been looking for the forcefield air, can’t believe these are same weight as leatt airfit light!

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Just noticed there doing a deal on these too Forcefield Pro Pants 2 , I’ve some TL shorts on the way but thinking these are handy for the wetter days plus they have knee and other bits of protection, they sold out of the small though and I’m 34 on a bad day and 32 when I’m actually getting off my ass

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@carlbiker has been sucked down the whirlpool of armour !! :)

Lots of the Mountain bike armour is also moto armour, or vice versa .. many of the requirements can be similar, though on the mountain bike you will invariably get hotter as you pedal up hills - not just the heat from throwing the bike around - this needs to be manageable at the same time, so a lot of moto stuff is just too heavy or too hot.

I'd really like to try the "air" version, but I just can't justify it .. I think I'm going to have to hand the armour baton over to someone else - there's only so much armour you can not even remotely justify hanging around the house for one person to wear :)

Not sure how the pants would work on a mountain bike .. I was sorely tempted. But your legs are moving a lot more on a bike. There was a thread a few weeks ago about all in one trouser protection, but ultimately, having things separate gives you more choice on what to wear/swap out as needed and it invariably stays in place better.

Likewise the all in one suit .. trying to make sure you get the sizing exactly right that it fits perfectly upper and lower body and keeps all the armour in place .... not easy ... then you trash one bit and the whole things knackered ? It might work and be perfect .. but it's rare that we all end up with exactly the same brand for every part of body protection just purely because bodies are not all one standard size and shape everywhere and we all like things to feel differently in different areas - because we're all weird.

Even video legends like @dobbyhasfriends - they look amazing on camera, but in reality they have abnormally large heads and baby making parts which makes finding clothing difficult.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I ended up with some adidas football ones with ankle protection from Sports direct .. they were cheap, but have been impeccable and you don't know you have them on.

Yup, couldn't find the motion discounted anywhere. I thought I did, but it was without VAT.

tomorrow I’m nipping into the store to try

L Forcefield shirt £119
S Forcefield shirt £119
M Forcefield shirt air £119
L FF shie air £119

im a funny size at 39 it seems and the guy over the phone was super accommodating by sending all this over to the Local store tomorrow for me to try!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
tomorrow I’m nipping into the store to try

L Forcefield shirt £119
S Forcefield shirt £119
M Forcefield shirt air £119
L FF shie air £119

im a funny size at 39 it seems and the guy over the phone was super accommodating by sending all this over to the Local store tomorrow for me to try!

Blimey ! That's pretty accommodating !! Will be interesting to see how you get on and how you feel the "air" version/fabric feels/stretches/compresses compared to the "BeCool" standard version..

Remember it takes quite a while for the body heat to form up the armour panels - especially the shoulders and elbows.

I guess you could end up walking out of there with the Small, Medium and Large and wear them all at the same time for ultimate protection ! :LOL:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I wasn't instantly feeling these shirts but I had to rush sadly.....the air felt nicer on I thought. Armour wise the pads are well covering and install a lot of confidence, more so than the racer shirt.

But, very sadly the elbow pads were uncomfortable on all version and the shoulder pads seem to slip past the collar bone completely but the racer seems similar in this respect.

Simple decision really, if its to reduce bone breaking its the forcefield for sure but its let down due to not having elbow zips to remove them, racer understood this and incorporated them offering much needed versatility. I do wish they had adjustable shoulder pads somehow, maybe some anger ones can be installed? The elbow pads on the racer are so much more comfy i can barely feel its in my skin, its compressed ofc so I need to get used to this!

My 7655 TL shorts came too and I noticed i have total protection down to my rear end bones which is great, the forcefield falls short there....

The best value on paper is the forcefield but the base if the Racer is better and perhaps can be upgraded, at £170 its a lot to need to upgrade the elbow and maybe chest pads but would be almost the ultimate package....shoulders not sure on.

Some protection on the ribs but not round the side, might require additional there. Some ventilation via mesh under the upper arms areas the cover upto the bicep is well thought out as it the non see through mesh.

Because of the annoying elbow pads that aren't removable and overall comfort its Racer that wins for me.

Some sample shots sorry I couldn't resist the inner child in me!

20200930_162025.jpg

20200930_162324.jpg

20200930_162400.jpg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Out of interest has anyone found knee/shin guards at all? Why on Earth aren’t they all covering the shins, it’s laughable how many cut up shins there are! Even Robs video on gear same thing....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But, very sadly the elbow pads were uncomfortable
These definitely take quite a while to form up. The first time I put mine on it felt like my arms were banging around inside buckets.

and the shoulder pads seem to slip past the collar bone completely but the racer seems similar in this respect.

Nice pics, does the plant have a name ?

Not noticed this on either. Both seem to sit perfectly round my deltoids. When you first put them on you might have to shuffle both (all armours) up and down a bit or forward and backwards a bit to get them centralised. But they don't seem to slip or move once they're in position ?

The protection on the shorts looks good, are they the 7605 ? I've always put of buying a pair as the pictures are normally computer rendered so you can't tell what they actually look like, I've no idea why troy lee do this with garments.

Out of interest has anyone found knee/shin guards at all?

There are a few out there. Some are pretty bulky. I settled on Sam Hill Knee pads and adidas (only based on price/availability) shin pads. These overlap slightly so give full coverage. There are several threads on knee pads and they've very much an individual thing. G-form do a knee pad which comes down and covers a large part of the shin. Everyone who has them speaks highly of them, for me, I think the g-form armour panels are too small so they won't spread impact loading over a large enough area - would certainly reduce scuffage though. If it's really warm, you might want the option to not have the shin pads on, hence why sometimes it's better to have separate sections. Or you might find one which fits perfectly round the knee, but is loose on the calf - or vice versa. A full length knee/shin would probably be harder to peel on and off when sweaty if it was reasonably armoured, you'd get away with it on the g-form as it's more like a lightweight and very flexible sock thing.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Highly recommend the 7605, the padding is excellent and they even seem to extend the back of the racer down the rear of the 7605, I’ll do some photos to show what I mean for you

Just something you said, the elbows adjust do they? The Racer is not even CE1 on the chest and it’s not upgradable is it? So if the elbows could sort themselves out it might be worth me going into the shop and having a better test of the Forcefield

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just something you said, the elbows adjust so they?
They seem to slowly adjust shape. SLOWLY ! The back and chest form quite quickly, it's a different material.

The shoulders felt like they settled into place and I didn't notice them at all after a few minutes into the ride. The right elbow, formed up a few minutes later , my right arms still pretty damaged and running quite a bit hotter than the left. There's not much heat at your elbows when you're not doing anything intense.

Maybe you and a guy in the shop could wear them as cod pieces and then slip them in after 10 minutes ??

I'm guessing the ce1 Forcefield would soften up faster as the armour will be about 30% less mass ...

And yes, the racer chest is more slight bash protection than tree stump fights.

If you've not tried a 7855 that might be worth a try. It's not ce but is fairly resistant for a lot of things. The back, chest and shoulders aren't really stump rated though.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
They seem to slowly adjust shape. SLOWLY ! The back and chest form quite quickly, it's a different material.

The shoulders felt like they settled into place and I didn't notice them at all after a few minutes into the ride. The right elbow, formed up a few minutes later , my right arms still pretty damaged and running quite a bit hotter than the left. There's not much heat at your elbows when you're not doing anything intense.

Maybe you and a guy in the shop could wear them as cod pieces and then slip them in after 10 minutes ??

I'm guessing the ce1 Forcefield would soften up faster as the armour will be about 30% less mass ...

And yes, the racer chest is more slight bash protection than tree stump fights.

If you've not tried a 7855 that might be worth a try. It's not ce but is fairly resistant for a lot of things. The back, chest and shoulders aren't really stump rated though.
What’s the 7855?

I didn’t get a text to go back to the store and try the FF again.....not sure what to do, I had the ride with the racer and TL 7605 and they were great! The back I thought gets a little warm but I didn’t at any point become distracted.

The Forcefield arm buckets I’m just not sure on, I should go and try really as at £119 it’s about the best bang for buck......it’s a shame the racer chest can’t be upgraded too but for near £200 I’m less forgiving! Maybe it’s just not possible to have perfect protection with perfect comfort but that said you could get a tailor to cut the arms off and either adapt the pads or get new ones hmmm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles