Fitting oversize tyres

ebikerdiary

Jan 14, 2019
Sydney
I'm thinking of putting 3" Maxxis Chronicles on a Merida with 27.5 rear and 29 front. The Maxxis site says these tyres need a minimum of 40mm inner rim width but the current wheels have 30mm. The current tyres are 2.5 rear and 2.6 front and there is ample room to wider 3" tyres. Does anyone see a problem with fitting oversize tyres? I've done it on several bikes without an issue.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
A friend of mine runs 2.8s on 19mm rims!!!! I was sure he'd get "robbed" of traction and cornering stability, but he insists not.
stans-notubes-wideRight-tire-shape-chart.gif

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It really depends how you ride but as Rusty put it so eloquently if you actually push a bike it will ride like shit.
General scenic Grandpa/Grandma type riding it will be fine on a 30mm rim.
I ran 2.8 Black diamond tyres on a 40mm internal rim with cushcores and it was crap but I do push it pretty hard. Great to cruise on but yeah who rides that slow?
I find 2.5/2.6 on a i35 rim to be a great compromise for all types of riding.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I'm thinking of putting 3" Maxxis Chronicles on a Merida with 27.5 rear and 29 front. The Maxxis site says these tyres need a minimum of 40mm inner rim width but the current wheels have 30mm. The current tyres are 2.5 rear and 2.6 front and there is ample room to wider 3" tyres. Does anyone see a problem with fitting oversize tyres? I've done it on several bikes without an issue.

Problem solved :ROFLMAO:

EARTH Ant eBike 4 inch Fat Tires Folding Electric Bike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles