Fitting new STEPS E8000 motor

Trots55

Jan 26, 2019
Oxfordshire
Hi all

I’ve just fitted a new e8000 motor to my 2018 Focus Jam2.

The previous set up had USA regional settings. The new motor is from EU (so EU speed settings I’m expecting). When I connect the new motor up, the steps system asks if I’d like to “backup save Yes/No”.

Will one of these options save my previous motors settings? Where is the computer part of the system: in the motor or in the display unit?

I’ve looked but can’t find any information relating to this. Any help really appreciated!!

Trots55

Jan 26, 2019
Oxfordshire
You can allways use STUnlocker to change regions.
Yes, that's what I did in the end. I used STUnlocker with the previous motor and hoped that I could keep the licence with the new motor but it's not possible so bought another licence for the new one.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Actually you don’t need to violate the warrenty if the motor was obtained directly from Shimano. But you need to be present at a certified Shimano dealer with expertise in firmware to get USA not eu class I installed ( 20 mph s 15 mph. ). I learned this the hard way. I’m riding with the eu set up as I won’t be back at the installing shop till mid October. Eu class I on a Shimano motor really is a problem using boost because even too have a pedal stroke will cut the motor off. It’s good exercise if you are learning what an underpowered e bike feels like because in eu trail setting power is only useful at a high cadence. So it’s like having a tq or other small motor like the new Bosch.

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
Hi all

I’ve just fitted a new e8000 motor to my 2018 Focus Jam2.

The previous set up had USA regional settings. The new motor is from EU (so EU speed settings I’m expecting). When I connect the new motor up, the steps system asks if I’d like to “backup save Yes/No”.

Will one of these options save my previous motors settings? Where is the computer part of the system: in the motor or in the display unit?

I’ve looked but can’t find any information relating to this. Any help really appreciated!!
did you get yor motor from shimano over here or get it from germany?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I got the motor from Shimano USA via COMMENCAL in Colorado. Absolute bikes in Sedona did the install and the info I wrote above is based on what the technician was told when he called Shimano USA.

My best guess is that you might need to be at some kind of bike store in USA with a technician who is willing to call Shimano USA when you are present to get the USA class 1 firmware unlocked. And that means you are going to have to probably pay for his time. I wouldn’t expect a shop that doesn’t deal with you on a regular basis to do it for free.

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
I got the motor from Shimano USA via COMMENCAL in Colorado. Absolute bikes in Sedona did the install and the info I wrote above is based on what the technician was told when he called Shimano USA.

My best guess is that you might need to be at some kind of bike store in USA with a technician who is willing to call Shimano USA when you are present to get the USA class 1 firmware unlocked. And that means you are going to have to probably pay for his time. I wouldn’t expect a shop that doesn’t deal with you on a regular basis to do it for free.
I stripped the motor out myself as it had thee e010 error code which meant it couldnt be fixed and sold it for spares or repairs. Got in touch with focus and got all the motor configuration files from their motor department using the bike serial and build code on the downtube. Got to admit focus customer service is fantastic when dealing with them direct they cant do enough for you, pretty much writ that for anybody whos sold their motor thinking you have to send your old one back to get the files from you dont, i know the ep8 fits the jam 2 im just wondering if those configuration files from an e8000 will go onto an ep8

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
Remember if you do anything such as a third party app to mess with the motor and you brick it……you are out of luck.
Yeah im going full warranty motor next, no de restricting it, maybe get a frey beast or frey ex pro that are built for speed next. Although i do have a huge love for the levo SL after test riding it 🤩❤️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles