Fitness levels

E

EddieJ

A couple of nights ago whilst out on a night ride with my regular ride partner, the subject of fitness came up, and comparisons between the two of us.

It further had me wondering about what others do to keep fit in respect of training for MTB/eMTB riding.

For my own fitness, I take part in a Kangoo Jumps class for a full on aerobic exercise, a yoga class to help keep me supple, and use a Swiss ball and home gym, to help with a muscle wastage issue that I suffer from in my legs. I also use a balance board as a bike specific exercise.

I try to get out on the bike for at least three night rides a week, and try when possible, to get out for at least one ride over the weekend as well. Months before heading off to somewhere like the Alps, I pretty much ditch the ebike altogether and tend to make the level of climbing more intense, and focus more on repetition by completing measured routes, and over a period of weeks, will try to use a higher gear for each climb. I'll also add in sprints.

What if any fitness training do you do?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
A couple of nights ago whilst out on a night ride with my regular ride partner, the subject of fitness came up, and comparisons between the two of us.

It further had me wondering about what others do to keep fit in respect of training for MTB/eMTB riding.

For my own fitness, I take part in a Kangoo Jumps class for a full on aerobic exercise, a yoga class to help keep me supple, and use a Swiss ball and home gym, to help with a muscle wastage issue that I suffer from in my legs. I also use a balance board as a bike specific exercise.

I try to get out on the bike for at least three night rides a week, and try when possible, to get out for at least one ride over the weekend as well. Months before heading off to somewhere like the Alps, I pretty much ditch the ebike altogether and tend to make the level of climbing more intense, and focus more on repetition by completing measured routes, and over a period of weeks, will try to use a higher gear for each climb. I'll also add in sprints.

What if any fitness training do you do?
Fair play Eddie that’s a decent amount. For me I try to get to the gym once a week for weights and then the bike once a week. Would love more time though!

E

EddieJ

I don't think that I would have the discipline for the gym. I even find my few minutes on the home gym a struggle. The Kangoo Jumps on the other hand, I find really addictive. The one downside being, that I can never sleep afterwards. Having said that, I often find that trying to sleep after a night ride has the same effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've got a road bike and a turbo trainer, but since finding out that the turbo isn't calibrated and massively overestimates my efforts and attempting to calibrate just causes the app to crash I've lost interest in it. It's quite a bind too, tying up at least an hour and a half every time I use it and it's bloody loud in use.
I recently got a dog, so I walk 3 or 4 miles a day with her too.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Have you already started you off season training? 😂😂😂
64F8C29C-52C0-40FA-A8B9-0A9600E9118F.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles