Rail (625Wh) First service

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
I decided to take my rail 7 to my dealer where I bought my bike for a service. Generally, I do most all service myself but sometimes I like others to look at my bikes. There was a wrench that popped up on my screen a while back, but that's not a big deal. I'm not sure of the hours, but I've put 350 miles of single track on the bike. I'm now 62 and don't think i really thrash on the bike. They called today and told me i need new wheel bearings, brake pads and the steering stem bearings. What? The rail is almost two years old and with 350 miles, I don't think it's ridden that much. Doesn't this seem a bit too much? Thanks.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I decided to take my rail 7 to my dealer where I bought my bike for a service. Generally, I do most all service myself but sometimes I like others to look at my bikes. There was a wrench that popped up on my screen a while back, but that's not a big deal. I'm not sure of the hours, but I've put 350 miles of single track on the bike. I'm now 62 and don't think i really thrash on the bike. They called today and told me i need new wheel bearings, brake pads and the steering stem bearings. What? The rail is almost two years old and with 350 miles, I don't think it's ridden that much. Doesn't this seem a bit too much? Thanks.
The amount of service you will need to do on your bike has as much to do with how you maintain it as well as how you ride as I am sure you are aware. In 15 years of riding fairly heavy DH and All mountain for my age, I have never replaced a bearing but I never use a pressure washer on my bikes nor ride them in crappy conditions/weather. Brake pads are going to wear out and literally take 5 minutes to replace and are easy to check yourself. I am surprised they didn't recommend a brake bleed. If you have cheap wheel and stem bearings that have been compromised by water which has led to rust, replace them but if you are from LA and have not ridden in crappy conditions and not pressure washed your bearings, I would ask them to show you what their concerns are. I trust my LBS as I have spent so much money on bikes and parts there, they wouldn't try to scam me.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
... I would ask them to show you what their concerns are ...
This ^^^

During the process of moving my Pike Ultimates to my wife's Rail and installing new ZEB A2 Ultimates on my Rail I checked (and re-greased of course) all headset bearings which are in perfect condition. I use only a low pressure garden hose to clean the bikes after mucky rides.

Edit: both Rail 5's are January 2022

Last edited:

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
+1 to the other comments - I've never replaced a headset bearing in 20yrs of mtbing. If you clean and re-grease them once or twice a year (depending on riding conditions/washing habits); they'll last the life of the bike.
Open wheel bearings like Shimano's cup/cone require more regular maintenance, sealed bearings less so, but if you can lift a seal and inject some bearing grease once a year they'll last a good long while too.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
There are some motor/computer updates available that only my LBS or Trek dealer can preform. I don’t have access to those kind of updates myself but I’m sometimes aware of the availability. For example, the cx gen4 motor was updated to 85nm.

There are service intervals for these/most bikes and service packages are offered but I consider these as options or suggestions. Only once did the LBS work on my bike. (Pivot bearing was noisy, replaced under warranty). My bike is well outside the warranty window now (2020 9.7 Rail)and most components have been changed or upgraded by me. However I understand that the frame has a lifetime warranty (we’ll see). I still get the “wrench” symbol on my Kiox but those intervals are adjustable by the Trek dealer. I don’t mind but I don’t want the “wrench” symbol showing up every 500km either.

I keep a few of the consumable items on hand such as brake pads, chain, cassette, tires etc, and the fluids or grease necessary for regular service. I don’t want to wait for parts or be “scheduled” in, because I use my bike(s) daily. Regular maintenance is key and I don’t power wash. It gets a gentle shower. (There’s no lotion in the basket either).🫣

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
Yes, I don't use a power washer, just use a hose, soap and water. I really doubt the wheel bearings are bad, unless there crap from the factory. I don't know about that? they didnt mention anything about the battery. I asked if they could update the kiosk, but it,s $350. Too much.

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
Yes, I don't use a power washer, just use a hose, soap and water. I really doubt the wheel bearings are bad, unless there crap from the factory. I don't know about that? they didnt mention anything about the battery. I asked if they could update the kiosk, but it,s $350. Too much.

Also ride in Los Angeles. It's dry here, no water crossings.

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
Wait …What? $350? Any updates on my Kiox or motor are free for me…wtf.

My display is very sparce. Little info, just battery display and ODO. The new one is mounted in the center of the bars and has much more info.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles