First ride on the Öhlins TTX Coil shock

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Obviously, the trails came alive!

The shock is very very smooth and an absolute joy to ride.

I didn't get on with the RockShox Monarch RT3; it wasn't as good as the Custom Fox Float Factory DPS (from the previous years model).

The fork feels completely different; its way more balanced (Ohlins Air converted to 160mm). I know the travel hasn't increased, but the ride is completely different.

*I've been riding a Levo for 23 months.

turbolevocoil-2.jpg

turbolevocoil1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Amazing! Need to know more!

How do you convert the 150mm fork to 160? I didn’t think this could be done on the Ohlins.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
@Rob sprung suspension at peddlabikeaway in the FOD are ohlins experts in fact Jake the owner is a wizard with all things suspension

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
I have to agree with you. I am not liking the rt3 that is on the new s works levo. I am thinking about doing the same thing you did. Is it a completely different ride now? The rt3 is Just not as plush as i would have thought for a s works bike.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
I have to agree with you. I am not liking the rt3 that is on the new s works levo. I am thinking about doing the same thing you did. Is it a completely different ride now? The rt3 is Just not as plush as i would have thought for a s works bike.

I was very happy with the fox from the year before. But for me the RT3 was crap; maybe I should've tried a shockwiz or custom tune, but didn't want to throw any money at it.

I've only done one ride! But it's completely different. I'd read on the internet about weight limit or different stroke etc, utter shite. I'm extremely happy

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
I was very happy with the fox from the year before. But for me the RT3 was crap; maybe I should've tried a shockwiz or custom tune, but didn't want to throw any money at it.

I've only done one ride! But it's completely different. I'd read on the internet about weight limit or different stroke etc, utter shite. I'm extremely happy
I actually think something might be wrong with my shock how it is setup. There is absolutely no difference when i put it in unlock, pedal, or lock it out. It doesn't lock out and stays the same in all three positions. I am going to take it to the shop this weekend and see what they say.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
I actually think something might be wrong with my shock how it is setup. There is absolutely no difference when i put it in unlock, pedal, or lock it out. It doesn't lock out and stays the same in all three positions. I am going to take it to the shop this weekend and see what they say.

You have a problem for sure.

PabloNZ

Mar 26, 2018
Wellington, New Zealand
There are a few videos on Youtube on how the Fox shock lockout isn't preloaded with enough tension on the cable to actuate the lockout.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
You have a problem for sure.

I've about had it with my monarch. Really kicking myself for not swapping out for my fox factory shock on my stumpy before selling it. The monarch either blows through the travel or I have to put so much air in it on descents it's terrible and stiff as a board. I'm going to try some of the volume tokens/rings and see if that helps.

Also the climb lever makes no difference at all just to top it off. I loved my fox factory shock but this thing is a piece of crap so far.

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
I've about had it with my monarch. Really kicking myself for not swapping out for my fox factory shock on my stumpy before selling it. The monarch either blows through the travel or I have to put so much air in it on descents it's terrible and stiff as a board. I'm going to try some of the volume tokens/rings and see if that helps.

Also the climb lever makes no difference at all just to top it off. I loved my fox factory shock but this thing is a piece of crap so far.
I brought it to a shop not where i bought the bike and they said it looks fine. There is no difference between unlock, lock, and pedal. they said there usually isn't much difference between them on the bike. i don't believe that. it feels like it chatters on the downhill. I will go to another shop this weekend and see what they say.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I brought it to a shop not where i bought the bike and they said it looks fine. There is no difference between unlock, lock, and pedal. they said there usually isn't much difference between them on the bike. i don't believe that. it feels like it chatters on the downhill. I will go to another shop this weekend and see what they say.

I almost ordered a monarch plus last night but will try the volume rings first to see what that does.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs

I took out the bike last night with the fox factory shock and it's just how I remember it. It really holds up well in stroke compared the monarch. I agree the bike feels more balanced because it doesn't slack out from the monarch shock falling into the stroke for no reason.

Hinett

Mar 24, 2018
Derbyshire
I have a stumpjumper 6fattie analogue version with fox dps rx tune shock and to be honest I find it blows through travel very easily even with the biggest volume spacer fitted. Had rt3 monarchs on other bikes and had no problems was looking forward to going back to them on next bike but not sure now

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I have a stumpjumper 6fattie analogue version with fox dps rx tune shock and to be honest I find it blows through travel very easily even with the biggest volume spacer fitted. Had rt3 monarchs on other bikes and had no problems was looking forward to going back to them on next bike but not sure now

I think the problem is my bike came with a lesser spec monarch RT. Not sure on the difference but it only has two positions.

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Having never run a bike with a coil shock before, do you set up sag the same way as an air shock, or is it all managed by the spring, based on rider weight ?
Which brings me onto my next question, I'm near on 18 stone (fighting weight!), anyone know if the Ohlins that comes on an 2018 XL Kenevo would be sufficient to support my timber ?! :unsure:

I know Rob tested an XL one in his excellent Youtube updates, but he's a LOT light then me!

Thanks...!

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Managed by the spring based on your weight; make sure you wear ALL your riding kit before getting on the scales.

Your LBS will sort the spring for you

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
Thanks James...had a bit of a dig around and found this handy chart on the Tredz website, seems I would have to get a different spring fitted from the stock one...or lose 3 stone :D

1526466636357.png

Trailjunkie

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
USA
Obviously, the trails came alive!

The shock is very very smooth and an absolute joy to ride.

I didn't get on with the RockShox Monarch RT3; it wasn't as good as the Custom Fox Float Factory DPS (from the previous years model).

The fork feels completely different; its way more balanced (Ohlins Air converted to 160mm). I know the travel hasn't increased, but the ride is completely different.

*I've been riding a Levo for 23 months.

View attachment 1142

View attachment 981
Hi, thinking of getting one of these shocks for my 18 levo. can you elaborate on whether the extra 1.5lbs of weight from the shock was even noticeable? Also, what pound spring did you go with and do you ride aggressive(jumps, drops, etc) or just singletrack talked to a rep at ohlins and he recommended a 571 spring for aggressive riding my rider weight is 182lbs thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles