First Emtb - Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRX??

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first emtb and torn between a Haibike allmtn 7 and the Vitus E-Sommet 297 VRX. Both are in stock in my size, but the Haibike is £650 more expensive. Anyway, this post is more about my worries with handing over £5k to CRC/Wiggle. I have a Vitus VRX hardtail and also two Vitus kids mtb's and the delivery and bikes were fine in all three cases so I've yet to experience any after sales experience with CRC/Wiggle.

I've read through the sticky on here and it does leave me concerned. So a few questions:

Is there any advantage over ordering between CRC or Wiggle? I know they're essentially the same, are the orders processed in the same place?

Should I buy with the knowledge that any Shimano motor/battery problems can be covered by an LBS under warranty? Therefore omitting any CRC/Wiggle support worries in that department.

And lastly (not customer service related) I'm 5'10 and my 2018 VRS is a medium, and has always felt like a good fit. My height sits between med/large, is there any advantage to going large on an emtb? Would be good to know what size anyone on here at 5'10 went for.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Defo get vrx, and go large.
I'm 5'9" and got M.
It's cracking but I had worries about size from the off due to steep seat tube angle and its got a 50mm stem so if you find L too long (I doubt it) you can put a shorter stem on.
Warranty wise , wiggle and crc have been great.
You just need to provide proof of issues and receipts of work done.
I'm on the headset case atm and they've granted work upto £150 upon receipt, it might cost me a little more but I think they'd come good.

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Thanks barber, interesting that you recommend a Large. Do you feel that the you'd have been better off going large? I've since watched an MBR review and they'd said it was a big bike and if caught between sizes recommended you should go down.

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Thanks Steve, I have a Vitus VRS hardtail just now and it's a medium so I'll compare geo to that. At the risk of sounding extremely naive though, the hardtail was my frst mtb and I still don't know if I made the right size choice with that! Problem is, I don't know anyone with a decent bike that I can borrow to compare so I have no reference for what is too big or too small.

Going to a LBS and trying out different models/sizes would help but none around here have any stock.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Thanks barber, interesting that you recommend a Large. Do you feel that the you'd have been better off going large? I've since watched an MBR review and they'd said it was a big bike and if caught between sizes recommended you should go down.
For me it was the angle of the seatpost that had me thinking twice.
Now I've rode it on the trails i'm more than happy with M, maybe if I had them back to back I'd av gone with L, like I said you could always pull the stem in.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And lastly (not customer service related) I'm 5'10 and my 2018 VRS is a medium, and has always felt like a good fit. My height sits between med/large, is there any advantage to going large on an emtb? Would be good to know what size anyone on here at 5'10 went for.
I've had two Esommets 2017 & 2019 (same frames as your 2018) both in size small.
My mate has a 2021 in Medium.
his Medium is more cramped when seated than my small.
Reach feels very similar when stood up.
but his wheelbase is noticably longer. and the whole 2021 bike is far more cumbersome and heavier making my small 2019 infinitely more maneuverable and playful. The flipside is the 2021 is more stable and more of a plower.
Because of the extra 20lb in weight Ebikes have over a normal equivalent bike going longer/larger ALWAYS makes them less playful/nimble/maneuverable. Especially if you like hopping/manualling.

Personally I wouldn't want a 2021/22 over the old version. It's a LOT heavier and less fun to ride. But I have quite a playful riding style and love back wheel ;)
But if the choice was between a 2021 Esommet and a Haibike I'd def choose the Vitus

I'm 5'11 BTW

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles