First E-bike, Norco Sight VLT and it rocks!

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Picked it up a month ago.
Certainly makes self shuttling some descents a lot easier.
20181216_104636.jpg

Gofurtherfaster

Oct 10, 2018
The woods
Really like the look of that, definitely one of the most svelte integrated batteries, barely tell its an emtb... looks like you're already having a blast on it, awesome

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Really cool looking bike, I'm jealous. Is that battery removable?
No it's not.
Only drawback I've found is charging, has to be done plugging the bike in.
Having it bolted it the frame the design has been able to kept it light and stiff and with a 620w battery (bigger than most Shimano bikes) the overall weight is light as far as E-bikes go. Mine was just under 22kg out the box (without pedals)
A large with 185mm dropper and big battery thats pretty good I thought.
The battery can be taken out for servicing but it involves removing the motor and unplugging all the wiring loom.

The plastic dust cover underneath is a tad weak. I cracked it casing a big log. The crack didn't affect anything, it's just a cover for aesthetics. I reinforced it though and added a rubber strip in and out.
Cased a similar log and no problem.

Last edited:

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Also trialing a prototype chain retention device.
Dropped the chain a couple of times, but this was on a very rough, steep downhill trail.
If it works I'll make a better looking version. ?
20190107_180822.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Dent it come with a chain guide? They come with the Shimano motor out the factory? Never seen an E8000 equipped bike without one.

Motoren-Vergleichstest-Web-vr-18-von-41-1140x760.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ahh - that's a bit annoying, so it doesn't come with any sort of chain device?

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Ahh - that's a bit annoying, so it doesn't come with any sort of chain device?
No, I must say though the Eagle chainring holds on much better than the Shimano one, and it was a pretty serious trail I was on, never done it on any other trail so far.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have actually been on the hunt for an alternative device to the stock one as I find it clogs up with mud very easily in the British winter, and something more minimal would be better IMO - like the look of your prototype

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I thought that with narrow-wide chain rings and clutch mechs, that you didn't need a chain retention device anymore. I have never lost a chain when both have been in use.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
I thought that with narrow-wide chain rings and clutch mechs, that you didn't need a chain retention device anymore. I have never lost a chain when both have been in use.
Depends a bit on whether your riding style involves pedalling across rock gardens and very rough sections or rolling them. I tend to pedal everything.
Rode a new trail last night, a few rock sections, a few medium gaps and a few small drops (4ft). Bike performed well.
Was trying a new front tire as the stock DHF was sliding a bit. Tried a Specialized Hillbilly grid in 2.6. Was pretty good.
One section of a steep rutted trail with huge braking bumps has thrown the chain a couple of times, no problem this time so I think version 2 of chain guide will happen.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Have a Fox 36E+ Factory comming.
Why.....just because.....?
The standard 36E grip fork is actually doing a really good job, but I got offered a fork cheap, my LBS got the erong one in for a customer and rather than sending it back offered it to me.
The norco actually uses a 36 27.5 chassis and 2.6 tires.
The new one is the 27.5+/29 chassis. It will slacken the head angle from 66 to 65.1 degrees. And allow a 2.8 if I desire. Not to mention all the new adjustment I can mess up ?
As I mostly use the bike as a shuttle beast for my local enduro descents I think it should work well and will match the 36 Factory fork on my Norco Range ?

corkster

Jun 29, 2018
Australia
Have a Fox 36E+ Factory comming.
Why.....just because.....?
The standard 36E grip fork is actually doing a really good job, but I got offered a fork cheap, my LBS got the erong one in for a customer and rather than sending it back offered it to me.
The norco actually uses a 36 27.5 chassis and 2.6 tires.
The new one is the 27.5+/29 chassis. It will slacken the head angle from 66 to 65.1 degrees. And allow a 2.8 if I desire. Not to mention all the new adjustment I can mess up ?
As I mostly use the bike as a shuttle beast for my local enduro descents I think it should work well and will match the 36 Factory fork on my Norco Range ?

Hi Dewi, just wondering which fork you are putting on the VLT. Are you going the 160mm / 170mm 29er to match the Range?. I was looking at doing that to match my enduro bike also, but saw the difference in Axle to Crown was 25mm so not sure if I should just go with the 160mm 27.5 and suck it up. cheers

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Hi Dewi, just wondering which fork you are putting on the VLT. Are you going the 160mm / 170mm 29er to match the Range?. I was looking at doing that to match my enduro bike also, but saw the difference in Axle to Crown was 25mm so not sure if I should just go with the 160mm 27.5 and suck it up. cheers
No the E specific fork only comes in 160 due to the internal air shaft using a 34 diameter with the thicker fork tubes.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
I was looking at doing that to match my enduro bike also, but saw the difference in Axle to Crown was 25mm so not sure if I should just go with the 160mm 27.5 and suck it up. cheers
The spec sheets on standard 27.5 to 29 in 160mm travel list 18mm difference, I just fitted mine and measured more like 12mm, but I don't know if there is a difference with the E specific forks to the regular chasdis in dimensions.
Hopefully get a chance to ride it tomorrow.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Also how are the H1700 wheels? Worth investing in a pair?
They do the job, but I'm not one of those types that put a lot of value in rims, hubs yes but I find spokes and tension can play as big a part in how a wheel rides.
No complaints so far, they are still holding tension and true.

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
Fork was great. Definitely an increase in traction and dampening control.
Took it down my local trails, jumps, tech, lots of drops and lots of very rough DH sections with whoops and braking bumps.
Less chatter and more control on the brakes. Slightly slacker head angle wasn't really noticeable until I went off a drop a bit slow and nose heavy, no problem.
This bike is starting to feel just as capable as my Range now. Might try some even steeper stuff next.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles