Finally Happened - Snapped Chain

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
In my quest to get a vaguely decent life out of chains, I've decided to have a go at hot waxing (the chain, not my nether regions). Knowing better than the manufacturer, I've been reusing the quick links. The bike also had some motor issues so the chain has been off a few times for that as well.

Off on a quick lunch power hour cycle which I thought I could just fit in before my first afternoon meeting, there was a strange clicking noise from the back. Sounded a bit like the chain not indexing correctly. A quick visual check, and nothing seemed amiss.

Having learnt many a time from doing car trackdays, when there is a noise there is somthing wrong so don't ignore it, I decided to ignore it and carry on.

About 7 miles from home there was a bit of a bang, and bits of chain went flying. Snapped chain, and somehow also pulled a rivit out of another link!

20220518_124713.jpg 20220518_124724.jpg

Managed to use a spare quick link and re-rivet the chain back together enough to get home.

I won't have learnt my lesson, but will carry more spare quick links from now on!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I won't have learnt my lesson, but will carry more spare quick links from now on!
I carry spare quick links and a short length of chain (the bit left over when I fit a new one). That short length comes in handy when several links of the chain are damaged. A mate of mine managed to damage 5 links when he changed gear under full power. He also damaged the frame and bent the chain ring. HaHa I hear you laugh, but it was my bike he was on! :eek:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I carry spare quick links and a short length of chain (the bit left over when I fit a new one). That short length comes in handy when several links of the chain are damaged. A mate of mine managed to damage 5 links when he changed gear under full power. He also damaged the frame and bent the chain ring. HaHa I hear you laugh, but it was my bike he was on! :eek:
Thats a good shout. I was surprised it managed to shear the chain about 10 links up too. If I hadn't have managed to find that bit and bodge it back together I'd have had a long walk!

Was thinking to take a spare chain when I go on long rides, but a short section sounds a far better option.

Still, popped my chain cherry as they say.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
In my quest to get a vaguely decent life out of chains, I've decided to have a go at hot waxing (the chain, not my nether regions). Knowing better than the manufacturer, I've been reusing the quick links. The bike also had some motor issues so the chain has been off a few times for that as well.

Off on a quick lunch power hour cycle which I thought I could just fit in before my first afternoon meeting, there was a strange clicking noise from the back. Sounded a bit like the chain not indexing correctly. A quick visual check, and nothing seemed amiss.

Having learnt many a time from doing car trackdays, when there is a noise there is somthing wrong so don't ignore it, I decided to ignore it and carry on.

About 7 miles from home there was a bit of a bang, and bits of chain went flying. Snapped chain, and somehow also pulled a rivit out of another link!

View attachment 88320 View attachment 88321

Managed to use a spare quick link and re-rivet the chain back together enough to get home.

View attachment 88320 View attachment 88321

Question is did you still make it back for your meeting or what excuse did you use 😬

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I carry the chain I have just replaced....OK it is stretched hence why it was changed but it is the right size, still has the quicklink attached and still runs OK.........it is quicker than trying to repair a broken chain and no need to take chain breakers etc with you. Best of all you do not mess up your mech, cassette or chainwheel running a chain that is probably no longer straight!
......and I do not re use quicklinks that are designated single use only.........some are, some are good to use twice max.

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
I only hot wax the 11-speed road and gravel bike chains, the MTB's still get drip lube.

I always carry a couple of spare quick links in the saddle pack.
Had chains fail, but not yet at the quick link - touch wood.

I now only buy KMC re-usable missing links for the 9, 10 & 11 speed bikes.
Be careful when ordering, they do both and it is not always clearly stated on websites.
I only re-use them as long as they "snap" back into place with the pliers, if they don't "snap" into place, they get replaced.

Not seen a re-usable KMC link in 12 speed, so they don't get re-used, but no problem, that is only on the drip lubed hardtail.

When did cycling get this complicated ? :rolleyes:

NZ_Levo

Aug 9, 2021
NZ
i love the Connex re-usable quick links..ran the same one for 2 years plus on my gen 1 Levo 11sp....but can confirm they don't make a 12sp version which is a bit of a bugger for the gen 3 Levo.

i'm guilty of re-using the SRAM powerlinks as i also hot wax, so make sure to carry a spare.

there is always the option of dismantling the jockey wheels at the mech to take off the chain in one piece - depends how determnined you are to a. hot wax and b. avoid paying the exorbitant cost of power links 😁

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles