FINALLY a video on the Alloy rise

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
With a number of alloy rises out in the wild (H30 seems to be the only one that has been widely released) I am surprised the total lack any kind of review. Many videos of people describing the bike, a few ride videos, but no actual descriptions around ownership. Until I found this one:

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Nice. Thanks for sharing. I, too, would expect more videos of the H30 out there like this one. There are plenty of videos of people telling us s the specs and hyping the bike, but not many from actual owners.

I was glad to hear that his assessment of the battery and weight exceed his expectations. I wonder how long it will be before that 540 battery finds it way into the carbon version? At least as an option.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It will be light compared to 24kg Commencal, does he know his forks look like only have 80mm travel.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Very jealous. I have my date pushed out another 2 months (and thats a big hope) and he just walks into his LBS and its there and he makes an offer? Damn

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
USA, I am order #1 for an orange H30 in Medium from Jenson (ordered 12/10/21) and my date got pushed out until March 8th and I am not even confident in that. Word on the street is Orbea has the bikes built but is limited to 60 shipments per day (no carry over day to day) FOR THE WORLD. So they cant ship containers, they have to air ship in small batches every day and try to distribute globally.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
That video is in two parts btw. Second one is upgrades.

Some random questions:

The Marzocchi fork, is it a Fox 34 in disguise or something else? Anyone know? Anyone tried? What is it like?

What is the Eye to Eye and stroke of the standard shock?

Anyone upgrading the shock with a coil? What are you using?

Thanks 🙏

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Marzocchi is owned by Fox so I expect they would be v similar, had a Marzocchi years ago was best fork ever 55 RCT3i in 26” flavour! Not a Fox fan so don’t use either now!
The standard shock is 210 eye to eye
55mm stroke
I am running a TTX coil on my M20

Fatsweaty

Sep 1, 2021
UK
Word on the street is Orbea has the bikes built but is limited to 60 shipments per day (no carry over day to day) FOR THE WORLD. So they cant ship containers, they have to air ship in small batches every day and try to distribute globally.

where is that information from, is it confirmed or rumour?

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
I can confirm that rumor as well.
I'm not sure what you mean. You can confirm you heard the same rumour? Or you can confirm the rumour is true?

I don't see on what basis a supply chain could be so massively restricted. They must have many thousands of bikes ready and they might lose millions of pounds to competitors by shipping so few bikes globally. They would be better off hiring a fleet of trucks at least for European distribution. A single shipping container holds 400 bikes so I think this rumour smells fishy.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
The Marzocchi fork, is it a Fox 34 in disguise or something else? Anyone know? Anyone tried? What is it like?

Yes, but "oppositely" :- ). Fox developed the simpler and cheaper "Grip" damper off their "Grip2" for Marzocchi range but also shortly later repurposed for their OEM Fox Rhytm range.
So Marzochi Z1/Z2 are the very same forks as For 36/34 Rhytm in that they share:

- Grip damper (although there are multiple versions of it, one called "Sweep" and one with clicks.
- Heavier weight by about 200 grams because of lowers made from 6000 Alloy (as opposed to Float with 7000)

They differ in chassis, with Z1/Z2 having their own Marzzochi look while Fox Rhytm range uses old (pre 2021) Fox chassis.

It's only marketing segmentation where Fox sponsored athletes have to run Marzocchi if they're freeriders.
But it's interesting that Marzocchi is specced as OEM on normal enduro/trail bikes in lieu of Rhytm. Might have to do something with current shortage and shipping issues, as otherwise Marzocchi would be Kenevo, but Rise would get Rhytm.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
As for how it rides, imho pretty good. But don't upgrade the internals with Grip2 damper should you wish to upgrade. The total cost would be the same as selling it and buying Fox Float version, but you would still be stuck with 200grams heavier fork.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
George and Shjay 👍

In terms of weight seems H version is around 2.5 to 3 kg heavier compared to M version depending on builds. Is that correct do you think? So M version plus range extender would be less weight, if range extender weighs around 1 kg and would be about the same total battery capacity?

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I'm not sure what you mean. You can confirm you heard the same rumour? Or you can confirm the rumour is true?

I don't see on what basis a supply chain could be so massively restricted. They must have many thousands of bikes ready and they might lose millions of pounds to competitors by shipping so few bikes globally. They would be better off hiring a fleet of trucks at least for European distribution. A single shipping container holds 400 bikes so I think this rumour smells fishy.

I heard it from Mikes Bikes who is the second largest US online distributor of Orbea behind JensonUSA. Further, my bike is ordered from Jenson but the information was volunteered by Mikes Bikes when i had them on the phone asking about something else. There was no sales pitch here either as I was one of the first orders so i locked my price in before the $400 increase so it benefits me to just wait it out. The news from Mikes Bikes aligned with the announcement of the $400 per bike shipping increase and makes sense if they have to air ship everything. As far i am aware that per day shipping number is PER DAY and not accrued to make larger shipments say once a week. So any delivery date is a WILD guess at this point.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I heard it from Mikes Bikes who is the second largest US online distributor of Orbea behind JensonUSA. Further, my bike is ordered from Jenson but the information was volunteered by Mikes Bikes when i had them on the phone asking about something else. There was no sales pitch here either as I was one of the first orders so i locked my price in before the $400 increase so it benefits me to just wait it out. The news from Mikes Bikes aligned with the announcement of the $400 per bike shipping increase and makes sense if they have to air ship everything. As far i am aware that per day shipping number is PER DAY and not accrued to make larger shipments say once a week. So any delivery date is a WILD guess at this point.

Worth noting that the counter argument could be made that this might actually decrease the wait times considering container shortages, on/off Port delays, and trucker shortages.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

It just doesn't make sense - why would they be limited on a day by day basis to an exact number? Who is limiting them?

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!

Sorry, covering one more point, they would not be "losing" any money to the "competition", all of the 2022 orders are in and locked and they shipping to complete these orders that are allready placed for the year. Since they are not consumer direct (not counting the customization plan) they only way they would lose to "competition" is if bike shops and distributors thought they would be better of selling another brand. What they are losing is cashflow. The reality is the parts availability is so constrained that even if they could take more 2022 order they as wel as every bike shop knows they would never be able to fill it.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
It just doesn't make sense - why would they be limited on a day by day basis to an exact number? Who is limiting them?

Accourding to Mikes Bikes it was a Spain or local government. It wouldnt be unprecedented. Ive personally been involved with manufacturing deals in the US that had "buy america" cluases that would severly limit us if we didnt meet a percentage of domestically sourced and produced content. Given massive covid losses for businesses i could totally see goverments going down the same path thinking that it would benefit their own economy as a whole. I cant image Orbea having too much sway in politics over there.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Damn, I should,ve thought most of this out in one post. I have a friend who owns 2 bike shops (neither sell Orbea) and when i mentioned the 60 bikes a day export thing he said (again a rumor since he isnt a distributor) that it was closer to 30 that was actually leaving a day via air.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I would have thought the limit is due to the battery’s and the transport of dangerous goods via air, everything has a points value and you can only put so many dangerous goods points on a flight, plus you have other customers to fit on the flight, I don’t know who they ship with but for sure other big company have had caps placed to protect capacity in the integrateers networks post covid.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
Snowrydr, interesting. Are these restrictions on numbers Government controlled?

From my 5 minute conversation with Mikes Bikes, thats what they made it sound like. They also said that they had sent a letter out to the people that had orders with them about the Orbea situation, but like i said I ordered mine through Jenson so i dont have it. If anyone has a standing order with Mikes Bikes they should be able to share that letter with the full explanation.

In rumor situations i like to think "whats the upside to the lie" and in this case, i cant think of any reason for Mikes Bikes to just make that up to me or its customers. I dont have an order with them, and for their customers, Mikes already has their 2022 order placed and if an existing customer cancels their order it would be filled up in about 5 minutes so there isnt any new money to be made.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I would have thought the limit is due to the battery’s and the transport of dangerous goods via air, everything has a points value and you can only put so many dangerous goods points on a flight, plus you have other customers to fit on the flight, I don’t know who they ship with but for sure other big company have had caps placed to protect capacity in the integrateers networks post covid.

That could be it too and the dude on the phone mispoke? Seems reasonable.

Doesnt change my poor ability to wait for things :)

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Are the frames made in Taiwan or the Far East and then shipped to Spain for assembly or are they shipped complete from the Far East? Anyone know?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles