Finally a E160 RS

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Finally got my hands on a e160rs! I went for a medium (5' 10" if anyone wants to know). Just need to get a few things sorted.

Anyone know how to do that little hack to get the display mounted near the stem? I seen it on that custom e160 build video.

1dbb4771-ff27-486c-aa45-3afeaf53be7d.jpg

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Finally got my hands on a e160rs! I went for a medium (5' 10" if anyone wants to know). Just need to get a few things sorted.

Anyone know how to do that little hack to get the display mounted near the stem? I seen it on that custom e160 build video.

View attachment 51624
nice. will be interested to hear how you get on with the medium. I am 5 ft 9 in and went for the large. Vast majority of the time it feels great and perfect for my riding, but there is the very odd time it feels a little er large!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike.

I'm just a smidge over 5'10" and went for the medium on the 180. Reach is the same on both models. It's annoying being on the cusp of both sizes but i think it comes more down to what you like to do. I went medium purely because i knew i would like to try and get the bike in the air. It's easier to make a slightly short bike longer than a long bike shorter.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
nice. will be interested to hear how you get on with the medium. I am 5 ft 9 in and went for the large. Vast majority of the time it feels great and perfect for my riding, but there is the very odd time it feels a little er large!

I have a hardtail 905 in large (2018) and it has 460mm with a 50mm stem and at times and I get the same feeling thats a bit to big at times. For example the saddle alone is at the max point to bring me forward and I had to install handle bars to get more of a raise as well.

I haven't got out on it yet, as it's 1c and rain and snow were I am currently, but from the old driveway and up and down the lane ride it does feel fine. Just going to change the saddle out etc as I don't like the feel of it. And its easier to stick a 50mm stem on if needs be.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
I’m 5’9 and on the cusp of m/l as always. I’ve short legs and long torso so usually size up to a large. This time I went for a medium (e150). Very similar size to the large Santa Cruz I have. Seated reach felt a little short at first compared to my other bikes but I think it’s because the seat tube angle is steeper compared to them. Tried a 50mm stem for a bit more room, but it completely ruined the handling. Went straight back to stock stem (35mm).
Did have a brief sit on a large but felt like a really long bike. Whyte also seem to like unnecessarily long seat tubes for the frame size and I’m not sure I could get the seat low enough for my short legs.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’m 5’10 with a 33” inseam, and the medium is spot on for me. In fact, I’d like to shorten the seat post, as it’s too high. Anyone have any ideas how?

Last edited:

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
I’m 5’10 with a 33” inseam, and the medium is spot on for me. In fact, I’d like to shorten the seat post, as it’s too high. Anyone have any ideas how?

Swap standard dropper (150mm) out for a 125mm. Will give you another inch to play with.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Yeah, it’s probably about an inch too high at the moment.
you can reduce the max travel on the transx dropper. lower the dropper couple cm. unscrew the collar, thurn the white plastic collar to a a different travel setting. vv easy to do. the white plastic collar has different markings 10 = reduce by 10mm etc...

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I’m 5’9 and on the cusp of m/l as always. I’ve short legs and long torso so usually size up to a large. This time I went for a medium (e150). Very similar size to the large Santa Cruz I have. Seated reach felt a little short at first compared to my other bikes but I think it’s because the seat tube angle is steeper compared to them. Tried a 50mm stem for a bit more room, but it completely ruined the handling. Went straight back to stock stem (35mm).
Did have a brief sit on a large but felt like a really long bike. Whyte also seem to like unnecessarily long seat tubes for the frame size and I’m not sure I could get the seat low enough for my short legs.
yes it is the steep seat angle that makes it tricky to interpret the size of the bike. when sitting the large feels much better for me at 5 ft 9 in and I do a lot of pedalling when seated. On the other hand as Rahr85 says the m would be more playful when standing on the pedals. The shop suggested a M with longer stem to me, but I was afraid of upsetting the handling so went for the L. 90% of the time I am happy that is suits my riding better because I value stability over playfulness. the standover height is absolute limit for me on the L, so if you have short legs the M would definitely be the right one for you.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
What makes you say the seatpost it too long? I'm on a large 160S, 32" inside leg, have the seatpost travel at 170mm, and still have it raised an inch and a half ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
you can reduce the max travel on the transx dropper. lower the dropper couple cm. unscrew the collar, thurn the white plastic collar to a a different travel setting. vv easy to do. the white plastic collar has different markings 10 = reduce by 10mm etc...

Good to know, thanks.?

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
I am 5,10 with a 31 inch leg. After taking it out so far I am happy. I just find myself to stretched out on some of the longer reach bikes.

fitmac

Jan 4, 2021
Hindon

View attachment 51624
Congrats. Where did you get it? I have a deposit on an XL 150RS but been told all 20/21 Whyte have gone.... so waiting on possible early release of 21/22. Btw I‘m 6’3 so hope XL is right given this thread ?

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK

Just had a look, and I’ve got the crank brothers dropper, there’s no white plastic collar.

GANI

May 16, 2020
Northern Ireland
Congrats. Where did you get it? I have a deposit on an XL 150RS but been told all 20/21 Whyte have gone.... so waiting on possible early release of 21/22. Btw I‘m 6’3 so hope XL is right given this thread ?

Dealer in Belfast. He did say the same thing funny enough, in that there was no more bikes to be had!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Just had a look, and I’ve got the crank brothers dropper, there’s no white plastic collar.
Yeah, you get the Whyte/TransX adjustable dropper on the S bikes. Quite like mine, seems as reliable as any other dropper I've had. Makes it flexible if moving between bikes. PNW's Rainier 3 is similar. Cheaper than Whyte's one too. Might be an option if you want to play around with dropper travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles