• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

FF Helmets with integral action camera mounts

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Giro Switchblade comes with a peak with an integrated mount, I would have thought some others do too. What do the regs actually say about camera mounting?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Giro Switchblade comes with a peak with an integrated mount, I would have thought some others do too. What do the regs actually say about camera mounting?
some of the Bell DH helmets do too, with an integrated breakaway piece.
the regs are 'vauge' to say the least.
1664631137825.png

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I don't see why you can't use a chin mount based on those regs.
after some discussion with the event organiser, if you cant PROVE that an action camera mount is acceptable for the helmet you are using, its not allowed.
for me this is backwards as it also doesn't say its prohibited (burden of proof reversal)

I think I would rather have a day at the bikepark than go racing with the prospect of no filming.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are not concerned a bout race regs then chin mounts are the cheapest and porbably the best POV on a full face helmet because they combine the benefits of being "head mounted", given your head is kept much more stable than your body on rough terrain, and the gopro follows your head movements.

I suspect the reason peak mounts are acceptable is that most helmets have peaks that are designed to detach if impacted. If so that is a bit foolish in my opinion since you are more likely to injured by a peak+ gopro flying about in a crash.

From a safety point of view the optimum mount is a chesty with a proper sternum guard under it, either as part of the chesty itself or part of an armoured jacket...or both.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
If you are not concerned a bout race regs then chin mounts are the cheapest and porbably the best POV on a full face helmet because they combine the benefits of being "head mounted", given your head is kept much more stable than your body on rough terrain, and the gopro follows your head movements.

I suspect the reason peak mounts are acceptable is that most helmets have peaks that are designed to detach if impacted. If so that is a bit foolish in my opinion since you are more likely to injured by a peak+ gopro flying about in a crash.

From a safety point of view the optimum mount is a chesty with a proper sternum guard under it, either as part of the chesty itself or part of an armoured jacket...or both.
its race regs mate.. they make no sense but im working on it

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I agree, or a standard gopro mount on the top of the lid.. but they say not allowed.

EDIT: I have downloaded and read the British cycling guidelines in their entirety and that is as precise as the guidelines get.
What about the bit that says “unless you’ve been given permission you can’t wear a camera” ?

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I think it’s to do with the head rolling if you crash with a big camera on top of your helmet . A helmet wouldn’t the pass safety tests if it had a big round bulge on the top . It’s the same in some mx races !

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
What races are you doing? Unless it's EWS or a national champs I've not seen much info about camera mounting.
I usually just use a mount on top of my lid for the race and nobody's ever questioned it.

A mount on a breakaway peak seems to be the safest position.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
What races are you doing? Unless it's EWS or a national champs I've not seen much info about camera mounting.
I usually just use a mount on top of my lid for the race and nobody's ever questioned it.

A mount on a breakaway peak seems to be the safest position.
Welsh Southern enduro.. same rules as British cycling events. Been told that if any Marshalls decide they don't like the look of it, they can stop you wearing the camera at any point.. to subjective and as you say, strict.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles