Feedback on Rockshox 35 on Rail 5 - Switch to Pike 160s - Tektro Orions Vs MT520s

Sep 30, 2021
Forest Of Dean
Afternoon guys and girls,

I'm due to get my Rail 5 dropping in at some point in the next 2 weeks, but I can't help noticing that the OE spec on the chassis is somewhat low rent, which was pretty much the reason I got it - I have a literal parts bin in the garage with stuff to port on.

The first query I want to pick people's brains on is whether the 35's still suffer from the same stiction/binding bushes that troubled the model when it was first launched. I remember trying to set up my 2 neighbour's 35's and one had absolutely not control on the rebound damping adjuster and the other one would bind quite severely, to the point they packed down by about 20mm at full extension.

Rather conveniently, I've got some MY14 Pike 160s from my old enduro which is currently on my hardtail. I'm not prepared to swap out my 180 lyriks on my mega just yet, because that bike is an absolute ripper. So, given that the Pikes were the enduro stalwart back in the day before the MY18 Lyriks came out, would it still be a resonable fork upgrade (before a Zeb becomes available)?

The missus has a Lyrik 180 on her Remedy with a 2.8 mary up front, which could still be considered as an option, but I'm not sure if running the rail as a 6 fatty would be a sensible idea? I'm thinking about BB Drop and compressions, and the fact that I've been a 29er rider for the last 7 years.

Lastly, I've got a set of shimano MT520s in said spare parts bin with SLX levers. All my bikes are running M640 Zee brakes and to be perfectly honest, I LOVE the brute force and digital nature of the brakes. Are the Tektro orions left wanting for power, or should I just take the plunge and do the swap straight away? Brakes are a personal preference, and lack of modulation isn't an issue for me (Wet track days on an R1 with no ABS is a sure fire way of getting your muscle memory trained to respect sharp brakes).

Also gutted that the cane creek DB Coil heritage shock won't clear the downtube, but alas, the added weight of the rail would mean that you won't have issues with insufficient rebound with the reaktiv tune, as you did on a the remedy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles